iPod battery

socal78

Is it possible to buy a new battery for an old iPod? This is my only iProduct. I'm clueless.

I'm actually not sure the battery is a problem. But I should probably get a new one anyway. Just got back from a hike. It was 100% charged when I left. Thirty minutes later it was on red. I'm not even playing any videos. In the 2nd hour, I was amazed it was still playing music, still on red. In the 3rd hour, I was shocked. It actually survived my entire hike. But psychologically, I don't want to see it on red the entire time, threatening to die on me any second. (And yes, I've been told why use an iPod, just use my phone. But that isn't going to work because my clothes don't usually have pockets. I need something very lightweight and compact. Something I'm not afraid of dropping.)

My_Alter_Ego said:
just transfer all your music to a Zune.  Those things last forever!

Thanks, I've never heard of a Zune. I'll have to look into it. Are they small enough / slim enough to be tucked into a bra like an iPod?

irvinehomeowner said:
I think you can ignore the post about the Zune.

That was a Microsoft iPod challenger discontinued years ago.

Ok, gotchya. What would you recommend I do?

Anyway, I found out mine is an iPod "Nano", 5th generation. No wonder I like it. The Nano is so small and lightweight. It seems stupid that you can't just guy a $5 battery and install it yourself. But it is what it is. I'm going to check out that place, Aquabliss. Thanks for the recommendation. I looked online and it appears as though they still make these. I think if the repair is under $50, I'll get a new battery but if it's over, I'll just get a new Nano. Unless somebody knows of a different brand making something as tiny as a Nano.

SoCal said:
Is it possible to buy a new battery for an old iPod? This is my only iProduct. I'm clueless.
Yes, I am sure there are plenty of youtube videos showing how. 

But if you have to ask, then I recommend going to a repair shop that can do it. 

SoCal said:
Anyway, I found out mine is an iPod "Nano", 5th generation. No wonder I like it. The Nano is so small and lightweight. It seems stupid that you can't just guy a $5 battery and install it yourself. But it is what it is. I'm going to check out that place, Aquabliss. Thanks for the recommendation. I looked online and it appears as though they still make these. I think if the repair is under $50, I'll get a new battery but if it's over, I'll just get a new Nano. Unless somebody knows of a different brand making something as tiny as a Nano.

The iPod Nano is in its 7th generation. You may just want to buy that although I think it may be there last one (iPods are not even on their header on their website anymore).

I think Sony and Sandisk also make portable MP3 players but I would stick with Apple.

Your other option is to get an armband for you phone so you can carry with you on your excursions and then you only have to worry about one device.

k, I went with your other suggestion - Sandisk. The Clip Sport version. It'll be here tomorrow.

Back