Most Comfortable / Durable Sectional?

aquabliss

Need input from those of you who have had a sectional that is comfortable, durable, and nice looking (I know it's subjective).  I need a new sectional and nothing looks perfect.  My top picks are:

Crate & Barrel Axis II - kind of plain but very comfy and clean lines.https://www.crateandbarrel.com/axis-ii-4-piece-sectional-sofa/s227132

Bassett Beckham Sectional - like that its reconfigurable but this company has awful reviews on multiple sites.https://www.bassettfurniture.com/beckham/

Z Gallerie Cloud - A bit too 80's modern for me.  Comfy when in the pit configuration laying down, but regular sectional configuration when sitting down is not too comfy.http://www.zgallerie.com/p-11758-cloud-modular-sectional-grey.aspx

Macy's Radley Sectional - Price is right but I hate that angled corner and haven't sat on it yet, some questionable reviews about durability of cushions and fabric.
http://m.macys.com/shop/product/radley-5-piece-fabric-chaise-sectional-sofa?ID=1101386&CategoryID=29391

I purchased the Axis a long time ago but the flexolator springs broke on mine too early.  C&B paid for a repair, but the repair company removed the flexolator altogether and used straps that only last a few years.  I didn't realize that until the straps broke.  By then the warranty was over.

I've been looking to replace or repair my couch.  After shopping around, I find that I still prefer the Axis.  I think I'll pay a few hundred for the repair and use the couch a few more years.

spootieho said:
I purchased the Axis a long time ago but the flexolator springs broke on mine too early.  C&B paid for a repair, but the repair company removed the flexolator altogether and used straps that only last a few years.  I didn't realize that until the straps broke.  By then the warranty was over.

I've been looking to replace or repair my couch.  After shopping around, I find that I still prefer the Axis.  I think I'll pay a few hundred for the repair and use the couch a few more years.

Thanks for the info, I agree the axis is very comfortable without looking slouchy or sloppy.  Did your cushion firmness hold up over time?  The lady I talked to at C&B said they make the axis better every year, they re-engineer the materials and manufacturing process.  Not sure how true that is but I need something that lasts 5-10 years and can withstand kids jumping on it.

Is this for family room?  Does it go well with the TV?  I like the zgallerie sectional but looks doesn't mean it sits well.  We got ours thru living spaces.

aquabliss said:
spootieho said:

Thanks for the info, I agree the axis is very comfortable without looking slouchy or sloppy.  Did your cushion firmness hold up over time?  The lady I talked to at C&B said they make the axis better every year, they re-engineer the materials and manufacturing process.  Not sure how true that is but I need something that lasts 5-10 years and can withstand kids jumping on it.

Also, be aware that with C&B you can put pretty much any fabric on it (you are not limited to the swatches that are attached to their products).

ps9 said:
Is this for family room?  Does it go well with the TV?  I like the zgallerie sectional but looks doesn't mean it sits well.  We got ours thru living spaces.

It's for the loft so more of a loungy type  area.  I also like the ZGallerie pit sectional.  It's very comfortable when it's in  the "pit" configuration and you're laying down to watch a movie or something (4 people can fit), but when you reconfigure it to be a normal sectional, the seating is too bucket-like, too low, and not too comfortable (can feel some of the stitching on my back, had to move around a lot to get in  a comfortable position, etc).

I'll probably go with the C&B then, seems that most people like it and I think it's built to last. 

Peppy, I think  once you go "bespoke" fabrics with C&B the price goes up quickly, can get to $7k+ for that sectional in no time.

aquabliss said:
ps9 said:

It's for the loft so more of a loungy type  area.  I also like the ZGallerie pit sectional.  It's very comfortable when it's in  the "pit" configuration and you're laying down to watch a movie or something (4 people can fit), but when you reconfigure it to be a normal sectional, the seating is too bucket-like, too low, and not too comfortable (can feel some of the stitching on my back, had to move around a lot to get in  a comfortable position, etc).

I'll probably go with the C&B then, seems that most people like it and I think it's built to last. 

Peppy, I think  once you go "bespoke" fabrics with C&B the price goes up quickly, can get to $7k+ for that sectional in no time.

... and it takes an eternity to build.

The Room & Board Chelsea sectional held up extremely well after about 10 years.  If the configuration worked in my current living room, we'd be on year 13 of that couch. 

Our current Pottery Barn coach is just so-so.  Doesn't hold up well at all and it's only 1 year old. 

Not a big fan of Bassett. I went there for a couch. The saleswoman said the upside of it costing an arm and a leg is that, "You can use it for 30 years." I'm like, lady, I don't want the same couch for 30 years. Styles change! That's when I realized it was overkill, especially for upholstered furniture.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Got my sectional from Macys....great stuff that lasts.

Ya, this one:
http://m.macys.com/shop/product/radley-5-piece-fabric-chaise-sectional-sofa?ID=1101386&CategoryID=29391

Looks very similar  to the Crate Barrel Axis II sectional at 1/3rd  of the price.  Tempted to try it.  I'll probably go to Macy's home this weekend and check it out (hoping they have one on display)...

aquabliss said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Got my sectional from Macys....great stuff that lasts.

Ya, this one:

Looks very similar  to the Crate Barrel Axis II sectional at 1/3rd  of the price.  Tempted to try it.  I'll probably go to Macy's home this weekend and check it out (hoping they have one on display)...

It's the #1 selling sofa from Macy's and always goes on sale (some sales better than others).

aquabliss said:
Thanks for the info, I agree the axis is very comfortable without looking slouchy or sloppy.  Did your cushion firmness hold up over time? 
No, the cushions do look somewhat sloppy now.  Well, they aren't too bad.  Maybe I'll take a picture.  But I still like them.  My kids are completely at fault for that, though.  They like to sit on the cushions and crush them in ways they were not designed for.

We also got a slipcover for our couch that we use every once and a while.  With the slipcover on, it looks brand new.  We should have used it a lot more when the kids were younger to prevent them from abusing the cushions.

Keep in mind that you can pick different cushion types.  We got extra soft ones.

I couldn't find anything at Macy's home that was anywhere near as comfortable as the Axis.  I'll keep my eye open for that one.

Anyone have a Restoration Hardware Sectional? Been looking there for a new sofa/ sectional. I have other RH furniture that's held up really well so hoping the same for their couches

Paris said:
Anyone have a Restoration Hardware Sectional? Been looking there for a new sofa/ sectional. I have other RH furniture that's held up really well so hoping the same for their couches

Way too expensive to justify the cost.  Something basic like this:
https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod9300720&categoryId=cat9080002

Will run you around $11k + tax member price.

aquabliss said:
Paris said:

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod9300720&categoryId=cat9080002

I'd still consider it - esp since you use it all the time. If its good quality and lasts more than a decade it's worth it.

Paris said:
aquabliss said:
Paris said:

I'd still consider it - esp since you use it all the time. If its good quality and lasts more than a decade it's worth it.

That sectional is only for individuals who enjoy life 'behind the gates'...

Back