5 Orange County restaurant closures include 3 in Irvine

Mama Lu's?  My friends say its way better than DTF!  can't wait!

Lamppost is gone, about time, that place smelled like the eighties, pizza is just bleh, expensive, and the beer is not cold. 

ps9 said:
Lamppost is gone, about time, that place smelled like the eighties, pizza is just bleh, expensive, and the beer is not cold. 

They did raise their price for the mini chicken pizza that I used to order from $6 to $8 this year, I guess I'll go to the one on Walnut & Culver from now on.

USCTrojanCPA said:
ps9 said:

They did raise their price for the mini chicken pizza that I used to order from $6 to $8 this year, I guess I'll go to the one on Walnut & Culver from now on.

so wait...is their pizza good or not?  I'm getting conflicting info here.  Good food is hard to come by in these parts!

paydawg said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
ps9 said:

so wait...is their pizza good or not?  I'm getting conflicting info here.  Good food is hard to come by in these parts!

PS9 doesn't seem to like their food but I really like their pizza and have been eating it for like 10 years...so much better than the major chains.  First Class Pizza in Woodbury is pretty good too.  I do need to try Fresh Brothers over at the Market Place though.

They had a Groupon for that lamppost location recently, hope nobody bought it

Their reviews were horrible, ate there recently for the first time, and the reviews were fairly accurate

ps9 said:
They had a Groupon for that lamppost location recently, hope nobody bought it

Their reviews were horrible, ate there recently for the first time, and the reviews were fairly accurate

What haopened

jmoney74 said:
Mama Lu's?  My friends say its way better than DTF!  can't wait!

The dumplings at Mama Lu has a thicker skin and more meat. I can't say one is better than the other since I frequent both regularly when back in town. Other than the one in the Arcadia strip mall DTFs are in malls: SCP, Americana, Santa Anita, Century City, University Center, Santa Clara, DelAmo, Bellevue and Pacific Place. Many of my cookie cutter houses are near all the DTF except for Century City and Torrance. Those are the two that I have not tried.

Unlike DTF where the restaurants are spread apart in malls across counties and states Mama Lu's 2 restaurants and a take out only kiosk are several apart in the same vicinity. This is a new daring venture for Mama Lu.

Lampost was overpriced, but the pizza was good. Never frequented it because price / good ratio wasn't there.  That said, the place had been there for ever...anyone that played youth sports in the Woodbridge area has had a pizza party (or 20) during their life. 

We still go to the pho place in that plaza, but prices have gone up in the past year or so, I remember 2 recent price hikes, so it's less frequented now, only when the wife really wants pho and we want to stay in the area. 

We both like Mama Lu's better than DTF, but may still stay away since parking in Diamond Jamboree is horrible and we know all the FCBs will be at Mama Lu's when it first opens.

irvinehomeowner said:
Whoah, haven't been in that area for a while.

Is the Pho place still there?

Back