Prime rib recipes

lovingit

Hi all,

I'm going to attempt to cook a four lb prime rib at home.  I've read sample recipes online and I have seen three different recipes to cook this.  Was wondering if anyone had success stories on which method works best.

One way of cooking basically says to turn your oven to 500? and then put the prime rib in it for about 15 minutes and then turn it down to 325? and let it cook for about 15 minutes per pound.  Sear first then slow cook.  This method sounds easiest because you can just calculate total lbs times 15 mins (for medium rare) and set the timer.

The other way of cooking basically says to reverse sear where you slow cook at 200? until the center is about 120? and let it sit for 30 minutes and then increase the temperature to 500? and sear it for 10 minutes in the end. Supposedly it's better to cook it this way where you slow cook in the beginning which keeps the juices in and sear at the end although I haven't heard people cook this way. This way is harder because I couldn't find a calculation of total minutes multiplied by total lbs (at  200?) so would have to constantly monitor the meat thermometer.

I read another "closed oven method" which basically says to cook it at 20 to 60 minutes (depending on the weight) at 500? and completely turn the oven off and just leave it in there for two hours. I've never heard of this method so I was wondering if anyone has tried it.https://www.thespruce.com/closed-oven-prime-rib-roast-method-995286

lovingit said:
I've never heard of this method so I was wondering if anyone has tried it.

Yes, I've used all 3 ways. How did it go?

In general, my favorite is the reverse-sear. I do that for steaks, for Boston Butt, etc.

I've done standing rib roasts using the 1st and 3rd method. My least favorite is the 3rd. Like the previous commenter said, your oven is going to lose heat. My problem with that is, I find they almost always come out too rare. By the time you let the meat rest, discover its too rare, and want to put it back in the oven, you now have to wait for the oven to preheat again plus additional cooking time. If you have company over, it's not fun waiting. Ain't nobody got time for that. I've also solved this problem by not making standing rib roasts anymore.  :) If I was going to do it again, I'd do the prime rib steaks instead of a whole roast.

Back