Garage door opener

janthony6

Just moved in at Baker Ranch Terraces and Toll installed a Genie 2028 garage opener.  It's clearly a cheap unit.  No LCD clock or motion light, looks ugly, and has awful range when opening from a homelink car.

Has anybody replaced their openers? Thinking about getting a LiftMaster 8550w installed.  My old house in Orchard Hills had a lower end model LiftMaster but it was way better than the junk Toll gave us.

Thoughts?  Also the rail is pretty noisy.  Has anybody tried nylon rollers?

I've installed 2 garage door openers in my lifetime.  I bought Chamberlain from home depot and read the instructions.
It took about 6 hours the first time, and then 5 hours the 2nd time.

The 2nd garage door opener was like $200 and has internet connectivity to open it using WIFI.

Going to complain.  Anyways, picked up the Chamberlain 1.25hp model from HD.  Going to have it installed today. 

janthony6 said:
Just moved in at Baker Ranch Terraces and Toll installed a Genie 2028 garage opener.  It's clearly a cheap unit.  No LCD clock or motion light, looks ugly, and has awful range when opening from a homelink car.

Has anybody replaced their openers? Thinking about getting a LiftMaster 8550w installed.  My old house in Orchard Hills had a lower end model LiftMaster but it was way better than the junk Toll gave us.

Thoughts?  Also the rail is pretty noisy.  Has anybody tried nylon rollers?

yeah get rid of it.. had a genie at my new lennar home and it went out a little over a year.  Get a the liftmaster with the belt system.  You can ask the installer about getting a super quiet system as well.

jmoney74 said:
janthony6 said:
Just moved in at Baker Ranch Terraces ..  My old house in Orchard Hills

yeah get rid of it.. had a genie at my new lennar home and it went out a little over a year. 
Lennars internal slogan " Everything cheap included"

By the way you two are ballers, one moved from old "Pavillion Park" and the other moved from "old Orchard Hills".  Some people lead charmed life.

zubs said:
I've installed 2 garage door openers in my lifetime.  I bought Chamberlain from home depot and read the instructions.
It took about 6 hours the first time, and then 5 hours the 2nd time.

The 2nd garage door opener was like $200 and has internet connectivity to open it using WIFI.

Any feedback from anyone regarding smart garage door opener using the iphone to open it?

There is a device that comes with the Chamberlain that you can plug into your router.  It uses bluetooth to connect to the garage opener.
It works pretty well.  You can read about the chamberlain app in the app store.

As long as you have an internet connection you can open your garage, so you can open it when you're vacationing in France or whatever.  It also tells you how long your garage has been opened or closed.

zubs said:
There is a device that comes with the Chamberlain that you can plug into your router.  It uses bluetooth to connect to the garage opener.

As long as you have an internet connection you can open your garage, so you can open it when you're vacationing in France or whatever.  It also tells you how long your garage has been opened or closed.

Btw - Is there a monthly fee?

eyephone said:
zubs said:

Btw - Is there a monthly fee?

No.  We have one for a Liftmaster (same company as Chamberlain) and it's great.  But it depends partly on whether your opener is already set up for it.  Newer openers have the system built in...older ones require more work.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075H7Z5L8/ref=asc_df_B075H7Z5L85438339/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B075H7Z5L8&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198068910902&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16304252101232715231&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031536&hvtargid=pla-365824222793

zubs said:

So I got the new garage opener installed using the big box retailer person. But the guy didn?t connect it to the my smart phone. (He?s like read the manual and then bounced. I should of asked for my tip back. Jk)
It took me 5 min or less to connect my phone to the garage opener.

Back