Samsung Galaxy S8

I wonder how much these will go for, ballpark. I have no clue as all of mine have been bought for me. I'm trying to come up with a special school year-end gift idea for my big boy. I notice this says it will come with a motion controller, whatever that means.

Question for the guys: Which one would you prefer, the big one (the Plus) or the small?

I'm thinking probably the regular so it can fit more easily into a guy's pant pocket.

SoCal said:
Question for the guys: Which one would you prefer, the big one (the Plus) or the small?

I'm thinking probably the regular so it can fit more easily into a guy's pant pocket.

Always go the small one for guys - we don't have the option of throwing it in the purse if it's too big for whatever pants we are wearing that day.

Go big to begin with. Downsizing is always easier than upsizing. If the receiver already has a big phone, then you've got to go big again.

Galaxy III
Note 5
Waiting for Note 8

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People.

I'm still waiting for the iPhone 8. Hopefully it incorporates Sammy's gorgeous curved AMOLED screen. Although I'm puzzled why they moved the finger print scanner next to the camera. Sounds like a recipe for camera smudging.

The phone arrived cross country o-nite. I stayed home Friday to sign for it. Looks nice. I hope he will like his gift. Registered for his VR goodies. Good thing Iho posted so I knew about all this. The price has increased since pre-ordering ended & no extras now. Well, except a $50 card.

Did you go big or regular?

I forgot to answer your question, but I prefer regular. Fits better in my pocket even though I have bigger pockets than most.

Plus when you add a case (esp a rugged one), it gets even bulkier.

P.S. Why not an iPhone? I know IrvineCommuter is not around to defend Android anymore and I also have Android gadgets but iOS products are just so much easier to use, get support for, and buy accessories for.

irvinehomeowner said:
P.S. Why not an iPhone? I know IrvineCommuter is not around to defend Android anymore and I also have Android gadgets but iOS products are just so much easier to use, get support for, and buy accessories for.

I got the S8 because that is just what my son likes the best. I've asked for his thoughts on an iPhone before. He gave me a passionate lecture starting with "DUDE...!" Something about Android being more "customizable". I checked out when he began talking too fast and using technical jargon that was well over my head. lol. Suffice it to say he highly prefers Android. I personally don't know much so I can't really fill I.C.'s shoes in debating the issue. He has probably been influenced... his dad and most of our adult friends are programmers. All of the programmers we know use Android. He very much wants to be a programmer, too.

SoCal said:
I got the S8 because that is just what my son likes the best. I've asked for his thoughts on an iPhone before. He gave me a passionate lecture starting with "DUDE...!" Something about Android being more "customizable". I checked out when he began talking too fast and using technical jargon that was well over my head. lol. Suffice it to say he highly prefers Android. I personally don't know much so I can't really fill I.C.'s shoes in debating the issue. He has probably been influenced... his dad and most of our adult friends are programmers. All of the programmers we know use Android. He very much wants to be a programmer, too.
Heh... makes sense.

Does Android have the same type of family controls that iOS does? For example, whenever my kids try to download an app from the Apple store, it pings my phone or my wife's phone to give them permission to do so. Actually, I should look into that because one of my kids has an Android tablet.

SoCal said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Does Android have the same type of family controls that iOS does?

Yes but they're third party apps.
I think those are more for tracking or blocking,

The paid ones on Android can prevent apps from being opened and the Google Play Store has parental controls to restrict apps based on ratings... but I'm looking for the type of control that Apple has where it sends me a notification that my kid wants an app, I can review it (look at the details, reviews etc) and then either Approve or Deny (via password or TouchID).

For now, I'll set the Parental ratings control but it would be nice to have a built-in one.

I only realized the dimensions had become longer & narrower once it was delivered. Luckily, my boy has freakishly long, skinny fingers. I call him "alien hands". They're a lot bigger than mine. Thankfully, the S8 should work out okay for him. But the old dimensions are probably more to my liking. I don't know, I'll have to try his out more once we get it fired up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=484&v=x2NY2-FO35c

I bought a 2nd one last night. First the orchid grey. Now the black. I might have to go get the third color.

Back