How this student was offered $1 million in financial aid ? without a perfect SAT

When my daughter got accepted to Baylor, they offered her a $60,000 scholarship automatically and she didn't even apply for any scholarships. This year, my son has received solicitation letters from faith based private schools offering scholarships in the $20,000-$25,000 range to encourage him to apply at their school. My kids don't have perfect SAT scores or 5.0 GPA's either. One last thing, my kids are bi-racial with an Asian last name.

So, the article is a bit deceptive since you receive scholarships from these faith based colleges without even trying. Great that this kid in the article got some scholarships though!

Dresden215 said:
you receive scholarships from these faith based colleges without even trying.

Which ones??? Do tell.

I'm going to guess one of them might be Biola?? I've noticed several couples at my church send their kids to Biola. With some of the families being middle-class, I've secretly wondered how they can afford it but I didn't want to pry. I know one of them got a large scholarship. Then again, their kid is stellar. It's hard to make sense out of what's going on.

SoCal said:
Dresden215 said:

Which ones??? Do tell.

I'm going to guess one of them might be Biola?? I've noticed several couples at my church send their kids to Biola. With some of the families being middle-class, I've secretly wondered how they can afford it but I didn't want to pry. I know one of them got a large scholarship. Then again, their kid is stellar. It's hard to make sense out of what's going on.

Biola is not that expensive (relatively).

Biola $48,834 Total
USC $69,711 Total

WTTCHMN said:
SoCal said:
Dresden215 said:

Which ones??? Do tell.

Biola is not that expensive (relatively).  It's half the price of USC.

Biola University $34,498

That's not what tuition is at a UC.

SoCal said:
Dresden215 said:

Which ones??? Do tell.

I can't remember the names because my kid had no interest in applying to those the colleges. They were small schools I've never heard of in OR, NY & NJ.

Don't know how true this is but, my kid's teacher told the class that the public California schools were giving admission priority to students whose parents never attended college over those whose parents did attend college. This year's college acceptance is brutal at Beckman. Scholarly students are getting reject letters from CSULB and are being waitlisted at UCR. Supposedly, UCLA received 110,000 applications this year for only 6,000 slots.

A UC yearly tuition is only about $12k. We paid that for Montessori, so we've already put our kids through college (and more than 4 years :( ).

And if you go the IVC > UCI route, it's even less.

#IHOPlan

My kid had a really goofy-looking grin on his face tonight. I knew something must be up. I told him to spill it. He said he got over 11,000 upvotes on a Reddit comment. I'm just wondering if there's some box I can put this in next to SAT and GPA on the college application.

It is true that 2 year of community college then transferring to a UC, Cal Sate or USC would save you a lot of money.

A big part of going to college for your children becoming an adult is living a life that only could be experienced living in a dorm, making lifelong friends, learning to screw up laundry together, and a multitude do many other growing up things they can't learn being sheltered in your home.

My liberal art college years were great and it was the happiest of my life. My daughter is benefitting from a similar experience.

If your kids have this option don't rob them of their experience. Transferees get excluded a lot and especially going to a commuter school. They have a lifetime to live that mundane life.  The beginning of their adult life is the most memorable and set the course of their future.

irvinehomeowner said:
A UC yearly tuition is only about $12k. We paid that for Montessori, so we've already put our kids through college (and more than 4 years :( ).

#IHOPlan

Dresden215 said:
SoCal said:
Dresden215 said:

Which ones??? Do tell.

I can't remember the names because my kid had no interest in applying to those the colleges. They were small schools I've never heard of in OR, NY & NJ.

Don't know how true this is but, my kid's teacher told the class that the public California schools were giving admission priority to students whose parents never attended college over those whose parents did attend college. This year's college acceptance is brutal at Beckman. Scholarly students are getting reject letters from CSULB and are being waitlisted at UCR. Supposedly, UCLA received 110,000 applications this year for only 6,000 slots.

Each UC school publishes a version of  their admission stats. 

For UCLA, the 25th percentile for admits of California residents has an unweighted GPA of 3.85 and 16 honors courses in grades 10 & 11 (and then didn't blow it their senior year).  Weighted GPA of 4.29.

More importantly, unweighted GPA below 3.4 has a 2% admit rate, unweighted GPA between 3.4 and 3.89 has an 11% admit rate.

And the sword edge continues with honors courses, below 10 honors courses only has a 4% admit rate.

So you pretty much need honor courses and B's & A's in them.
https://www.admission.ucla.edu/prospect/Adm_fr/Frosh_Prof16.htm

The community college transfer route isn't easy.  Even with UCI's transfer guarantee, the

requirements are stiff and not a slouch path.  They're  locatedhttp://www.admissions.uci.edu/apply/transfer/requirements.php

Required for all majors in the School of Engineering unless specified otherwise:

Meet all basic UC admission requirements with a minimum grade of C or better
Complete 60 semester or 90 quarter units of UC transferable credit by the end of the spring term prior to the fall quarter of enrollment
Complete one year of single variable calculus
Complete one course in multivariable calculus
Complete one course in ordinary differential equations
Complete one course in linear algebra
Complete one year of calculus-based physics with labs (mechanics, electricity and magnetism)

And then Major specifics:
Biomedical Engineering
Earn a grade of C or better in each of the following required major-preparation courses:

Complete one year of single variable calculus
Complete one course in multivariable calculus
Complete one course in ordinary differential equations
Complete one course in linear algebra
Complete three calculus-based physics courses with labs
mechanics,
electricity and magnetism,
waves, optics & modern physics
Complete one year of general chemistry with labs
Complete one course in programming and problem solving in MATLAB

And keep in mind, the general requirement is maintenance of a 3.4 GPA in those.

irvinehomeshopper said:
It is true that 2 year of community college then transferring to a UC, Cal Sate or USC would save you a lot of money.

A big part of going to college for your children becoming an adult is living a life that only could be experienced living in a dorm, making lifelong friends, learning to screw up laundry together, and a multitude do many other growing up things they can't learn being sheltered in your home.

My liberal art college years were great and it was the happiest of my life. My daughter is benefitting from a similar experience.

If your kids have this option don't rob them of their experience. Transferees get excluded a lot and especially going to a commuter school. They have a lifetime to live that mundane life.  The beginning of their adult life is the most memorable and set the course of their future.

irvinehomeowner said:

#IHOPlan

I've thought about the Iho - Ihs post exchange in this thread every day since it was posted.

Right now is a pivotal point for us. No, we're not graduating from high school yet. But it's the start of a new chapter and a reminder that the time is coming soon. I totally get both sides of it, 100%. Like Iho, I want my kids with me as long as possible until they 'Leave and Cleave', as God intends. I want a close relationship always. But like Ihs, I'm excited for them to achieve their own independence before then. I'm willing to stab myself in the heart & sacrifice my own contentment to set them free for their own good. Parent Club of TI: We have to let go. But it's so hard. But we have to.... But it's hard!... But we have to!! I keep going around & around like this in my head with my tortured thoughts. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

I am SO EXCITED for what the future holds for my son. He has been blessed with talent and good looks. When this takes him places, he won't need me or want me anymore. I'll be thrown out like yesterday's newspaper. I want to be needed. That's what I'm on this earth for. But I'm constantly reminding myself that the goal is to raise a confident, motivated, resourceful, capable adult. Especially as a man. Not a crippled Momma's Boy. The main thing is I don't ***EVER*** want him to feel guilty for leaving me behind to go where he needs to be in his life. He needs encouragement, not a ball and chain. Therefore, I try not to let him know how I really feel. I will hide it if it kills me.

He's already telling me: "I'm basically an adult." I'm like, "Um, no, you're basically not. That's why you're a child in the eyes of the law." Then he asks me, "What's for dinner?" I'm like, "Why are you asking me?? I thought you said you were an adult. Oh, and here's the electricity bill. I'm sure you won't mind since you're basically an adult." I've got a few years left of being needed.  ::)

I totally understand IHS' point, but I also know that 18-20 is trouble time for most kids transitioning to adulthood.

And from personal experience (not just me but my friends)... this seems to hold true (although nowadays this starts even younger).

Maybe I'm too old school, but once they graduated and have a job, then they can do whatever they want, but while I am still responsible for them, I should have some say in their life.

#MedievalDad

irvinehomeowner said:
And from personal experience this seems to hold true

OoooOooo. Do tell! Inquiring minds want to know what kind of trouble you got into. This is how I imagine 20 y.o. Iho: A few fights. Thug life. Some bruised knuckles but only to protect others, of course. Maybe some pot -- nothing too hardcore. Lots & lots & lots of girlfriends, more than could be counted on all fingers twice. You probably don't even remember all their names and faces. May or may not have worked as a club bouncer on school breaks. But in the end, in bed by midnight, homework completed and ready for the next day, good grades, Dean's List. Karaoke and bbq with friends & family on the weekends. 

SoCal said:
irvinehomeowner said:
And from personal experience this seems to hold true

OoooOooo. Do tell! Inquiring minds want to know what kind of trouble you got into. This is how I imagine 20 y.o. Iho: A few fights. Thug life. Some bruised knuckles but only to protect others, of course. Maybe some pot -- nothing too hardcore. Lots & lots & lots of girlfriends, more than could be counted on all fingers twice. You probably don't even remember all their names and faces. May or may not have worked as a club bouncer on school breaks. But in the end, in bed by midnight, homework completed and ready for the next day, good grades, Dean's List. Karaoke and bbq with friends & family on the weekends.

Hah... a single sentence makes the imagination go wild.

No drugs... never. And no carousing around either.

Grades started off good but being exposed to social life and "adulthood" stymied that. I think that's where I worry about my kids being off at a college without supervision. I didn't do anything crazy but studies and grades became a lower priority and I got lazy when it came to school because of little oversight.

And I don't know anyone in college who went to sleep before midnight.

I missed out on the dorm life experience due to our financial situation and my lack of knowledge/understanding with financial aid and student loans.  We opted to buy our first home instead of sending me to school full time, and I went to Cerritos College then Fullerton College before transferring to CSUF.  Due to my work schedule I ended up spending almost 4 years to finish Jr. College.

During that time I learned a few things:

* I should have spent more time researching financial aid in high school instead of chasing skirt.

* If you missed out on living in a dorm you can still get a GF who lives at a dorm and party there.

* I should have picked CSULB for transfer instead of CSUF.  CSULB had way better gender ratio and girls in on-site dorms.  CSUF was more of a business major commuter school.

* In America there is no age discrimination with older folks going to college.  At JC I had a classmate who was a grandmother.  She regretted not attending college when she was younger (she married at age 19) and decided it was time to make up for lost time.

* It's not shameful to apply for student loans or be in certain kinds of debt.  We obtained a 15 year fixed rate loan on our home and learned it was perfectly normal, just like my classmates with student loans.  It's OK to borrow money from the bank to invest in yourself.

* Finding employment with a company that paid for your college tuition was better than getting a student loan.  I had no idea that many companies paid for college tuition back then.  Some companies require your major to be work related, others are less restrictive and allow any BA major, but MA major must be work related.

* Many job postings that ask for BA degree can be flexible.  They are often willing to accept an applicant with Jr. College degree or current student at 4 year college.

We got our high school registration packet last week. I cried for three days straight, everywhere - in the car at red lights, at the grocery store, taking a shower...

I'm trying to remind myself that he's just growing up... he's not dying.

I am having recurring nightmares that the day he turns 18, he packs a bag in the middle of the night, and leaves a note on his bed saying he's flying to Europe to backpack around for a year or two. I never see him again. I couldn't stop him. The truth is I really night never see him again. It's kind of scary knowing you may have zero say in their lives when they hit 18. I told Mr. SoCal. He's like, "Psssh. He'd never figure out how to leave on his own. Don't worry. We'll never be able to get rid of him!" Hmm, true. The boy does lead a very sheltered life. And money is always a big factor.

Dresden215 said:
SoCal said:
Dresden215 said:

Which ones??? Do tell.

110,000 applications to UCLA?  That is just crazy nuts.  I think when I applied back in the late 90s they had like 15,000-20,000.  My guess is that more kids are applying to more and more schools in order to hedge their bets so to speak.  I bet you that more than half of those 110,000 applicants are dreamers thinking that they can get in to UCLA and just check the UCLA box on the UC admissions application.

Back