Beauty

socal78

R2D, Paris, Traceimage, etc.

I'm getting mink eyelashes in a few days.

Have you guys tried any local eyelash extension places that you really liked? I have looked at a bunch of places on Yelp but wanted to talk to somebody who has actually done it. I'm going for a glue test on Tuesday to make sure I don't end up one of those nightmare cases with eyes swollen shut.

You know, my one genetic physical blessing is naturally long eyelashes (everyone on my dad's side of the family has them), so I've never had eyelash extensions and I haven't tried any places personally...but I saw that a new lash place opened up in the Marketplace. I walked by and it looked pretty happening. I don't remember what it was called, but it was near Panda Express.

You are so blessed.

Mine are teeny tiny. I've heard: "It's not the size that matters. It's what you do with it that counts." (Right, YellowFever?)

So, I'm doing something with it. Enhancement, here I come.

irvinehomeowner said:
Yeah... that's what all men look for in women... big eyelashes.

LOL - you know it  ;)

I have never tried extensions but have friends that do Latisse or recently the crazy Rodan and Fields Women are pushing that Lash boost - only problem with these is you have to keep using them to maintain the longer lashes.
Why not just apply fake lashes when you need them?
How much are the extensions anyway out of curiosity? How long do they last - do you need to change them out over a certain period of time?

I'll update more when I get a free moment and will address the good questions, Paris. I had similar thoughts but still found solid reasons to try it.

I got the glue test done a few hours ago. They glued my eyelids together on one eye. I thought that was just a ridiculous, paranoid fear of mine. Thankfully, I was able to get them separated eventually so that I could drive home. Surely, the perma-wink would have been oh, so sexy, though... Todds everywhere.  ;) <-- Glue.

Paris said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Yeah... that's what all men look for in women... big eyelashes.

LOL - you know it  ;)

I have never tried extensions but have friends that do Latisse or recently the crazy Rodan and Fields Women are pushing that Lash boost - only problem with these is you have to keep using them to maintain the longer lashes.
How much are the extensions anyway out of curiosity? How long do they last - do you need to change them out over a certain period of time?

What is up with those crazy Rodan & Fields woman?  Is it a cult or something?  They are filling up my FB page these days with their blatant pyramid scheme sales tactics.  SO ANNOYING. 

As far as long eyelashes go....men don't notice them right away...but they DO make a difference.  Good Luck SoCal.

Paris said:

Here is the warning on Latisse:

"may cause brown darkening of the colored part of the eye which is likely permanent. LATISSE? may cause eyelid skin darkening which may be reversible. Only apply at base of upper lashes. DO NOT APPLY to lower lid. Hair may grow outside the treatment area."

Brown darkening of the iris? I would certainly hope they mean only on people who already have brown eyes! Except that isn't what it says. I have blue eyes. This side effect would be highly noticeable.

Same with the skin darkening. Might not be noticeable on someone with dark skin. I have white skin. The contrast would be sharp. I think anyone who doesn't have brown eyes or brown skin should be concerned about the potential side effects.

Hair outside the treatment area? Ick. lol.

Extensions carry none of these side effects.

Paris said:

Extensions allow you to make your morning routine shorter rather than longer. On-call doctors are some of their biggest fans (I thought of you when I read that.) It is ready to go. The extensions are also individual lashes which look a lot more natural than applying a strip. The mink lashes, in particular, look very light and feathery. Of course, you can choose the length and type of lash extensions.

Paris said:

A full set in O.C. ranges from $100-200, from what I've seen. I've read that it can run as high as $300 in some places around the country.

Lashes are like acrylic nails. You have to go every few weeks for a refill. The extensions are glued to your existing lashes (not the skin) and will shed, just like your own lashes naturally shed. Also like nails, lash refills are less expensive than a full set.

I decided to use the place I already go to for my hair since everywhere else I was referred to was too far away. They charge $80 / full set. $35 or $40 for a refill (I can't remember which one.)

So you're supposed to go every 2-4 weeks for a touch-up. Some people stretch it out to every 5-6 weeks.

You're supposed to avoid any cosmetics or facial washes that contain glycerin. That's most of them. It can negatively affect the adhesion of the glue, supposedly. But when they glued my eyelids together, I doubted that. This stuff is strong. It's like Super Glue.

I'm 24 hours into the glue test. I thought everything was going ok.

Then, an hour ago, my kid accidentally jabbed all of his fingers, hard, directly into my open eye. I curled up into a ball and longed for the sweet embrace of death.

Now if I get an infection, I'll never know why.

I think I've decided not to follow through with these after all.

I'm having quite a bit of pain when I squint. (They put 5 lashes on 1 eye for the test. None on the other.) The simple answer is: "Don't squint your eye." But they're my eyes. I don't want movement to be so restricted. It's not allergy or infection type of pain. But a sharp ripping pain of my lashes. I think the glue is pulling on them.

It's too bad because there are a lot of advantages. I really do wish this would've worked out. Hopefully, I won't die old and alone, kicked out of bed due to my inadequate eyelashes.

I might try the "3D Fiber Lash" mascara next.

I tried the 3D fiber lash and hated it. When first applied it makes the lashes lush. Then as the day progresses, the fibers fall into my eyes and caused irritation. Also, it left me with raccoon eyes at the end of the day. Waste of $30. Maybe your experience will be different.

Oh, nooo. What brand did you buy?

I just placed an order on Amazon for 3D Fiber this morning right after I posted.

I was surprised how many different brands sell this. I always thought "3D Fiber" was a patented brand name. Instead, I found so many different kinds with the exact same name. I ended up buying a highly ranked one on amazon. Mia Adora. I was going to do their Best Seller which is the "Simply" brand. But that was out of stock.

Back