Recessed Lighting Install After Close

If I remember, IML was about $85 per light.

Not sure why there is a different quote on Simply Lights for LED vs Incandescent as you can just get the Incandescent housings and use LED bulbs.

I've seen this with a few other contractors, apparently the LED pricing is an integrated housing and light and provides a cleaner look v/s the incandescent one is just your standard recessed housing where you can add a bulb. I'd think that one could go with the incandescent housing and get their own LED bulbs, especially if you are planning get Philips Hue or Lifx or such bulbs.

The Halo LED housings I've bought are just like the the standard "edison" screw in housings, except instead of an edison socket, they come wired with an orange LED retrofit flushmount connector.  The housings cost around $10 each at Home Depot, and retrofit LED bulbs can be bought at Costco for about $5 each with a SCE subsidy.  The flushmount bulbs are wired with an orange connector compatible with the LED housings, and also have a pigtail adapter that can be used with an edison socket.  At this point in time edison sockets are more common and might be a safer bet for future compatibility, but I think the LED connectors are here to stay, and with the housings being cheaper, I chose to take a risk on them.

YellowFever said:
Why didn't you just buy this upgrade from the builder?

Now you got subcons coming into your home doing shoddy work potentially.  The subcons the builder used probably have done it ten thousand times already they could do it with their eyes closed with quality.

I agree. Get your upgrade with the builder. Plus you get the  warranty from the builder. So if anything goes wrong you can blame the builder. Versus a small contractor if something is wrong, they might give you excuses. (Examples: it was the subcontractors fault, my team is on other jobs and it will take a week or two to fix, and my favorite might charge you for them to fix the problem they made)  ;)

Back