Halves in Foothill Ranch

jumpinjacks

OC Weekly already has written it up, so it will just get busier, but tried Halves in Foothill Ranch recently. It's basically shabu and/or japanese bbq. You can boil, grill, or do both. Shabu meat is sliced thin with choices of a few broths (tonkatsu, miso, chinese, and spicy versions) along with a little pail of veggies. Grill meat is sliced thicker and you can mix/match so do beef for your shabu/hot pot and pork for grilling. The apparatus is a cast iron half pot and half flat plate with grill ridges. Grill veggies include peppers and onions and come with your choice of white or brown rice.

At first it didn't seem to be a ton of food, but you start digging in and realizing it's a good amount of food. Meat quality is pretty good. I would definitely go again. I've been getting coupons in the mail for 20% off Mon-Thurs or $5-$10 off depending on the amount. A halves meal will range between $22-$55 if you get the A5 wagyu.

We drove past it Sunday afternoon. We wanted to get some lunch. It's in the old Eleven46 spot. We were reading the sign to try and decipher what "Halves" meant. A weird, non-descriptive name. In smaller letters under the title, it says "boiling pot" or something like that. We both asked each other if the other one had any idea what kind of place this was. We didn't. I don't even know what boiling pot means. Never been to one. Is it the asian version of fondue?? Why's it called "halves" - you leave half full? I thought about getting out of the car to go read the menu taped to the window but we were just too hungry to wait. So, we went over to CA Fish Grill instead where we already know what we want.

SoclosetoIrvine said:
tell us more about these coupons and you received them
can they be shared?

They are paper so can't be shared online. I got one in my local Cost Cutter Magazine hometown. It says Lake forest and Mission Viejo which is the 20% off Monday thru Thursday.

The $5 off $25 or $10 off $50 is Local Flavor, can't tell city or edition since I just ripped it out. My guess is just for awhile since they are new.

Quick update: tried Halves yesterday and I'm a fan!

Instead of $5 off $25, I got a 20% off in the mail for Mon-Thurs so it was like fate to try it since I read it here already.  Ordered the halves (half hot pot and half grill) got American wagyu for shabu and got pork toro for the grill.  Meat was excellent.  Price was $22 I believe, but with my coupon it was $18 or so.  The sauces they provide (sesame and ponzu) are really good, better than most similar stores. It may look like a small portion or not a great deal compared to ayce shabu, but def try it, the meat is worth it and I got FULL!  They currently have a yelp deal for free soft drinks and tea.  I got the pork tonkatsu broth which was also excellent.  Only negative was $0.25 for refill of rice, come on guys... and without the coupon it came out to $42 for 2 people.  With coupon $37... so coupon helps for sure.  I'll definitely come back though.  Good recommendation jumpinjacks

Next on my list: meizhou in Irvine where the old marie calendars went.  Saw some pics of their peking duck, might have to try

SoclosetoIrvine said:
Quick update: tried Halves yesterday and I'm a fan!

Instead of $5 off $25, I got a 20% off in the mail for Mon-Thurs so it was like fate to try it since I read it here already.  Ordered the halves (half hot pot and half grill) got American wagyu for shabu and got pork toro for the grill.  Meat was excellent.  Price was $22 I believe, but with my coupon it was $18 or so.  The sauces they provide (sesame and ponzu) are really good, better than most similar stores. It may look like a small portion or not a great deal compared to ayce shabu, but def try it, the meat is worth it and I got FULL!  They currently have a yelp deal for free soft drinks and tea.  I got the pork tonkatsu broth which was also excellent.  Only negative was $0.25 for refill of rice, come on guys... and without the coupon it came out to $42 for 2 people.  With coupon $37... so coupon helps for sure.  I'll definitely come back though.  Good recommendation jumpinjacks

Next on my list: meizhou in Irvine where the old marie calendars went.  Saw some pics of their peking duck, might have to try

We went again last week and enjoyed it too. Used the 20% off and got another in the mail and the expiration is even pushed out as well. We try to cut down on rice and usually share 1 bowl between the 2 of us, but good to know about the refill price. Pork toro is my favorite to grill as well.

Was it crowded? I want to say we went first time on a Saturday night and did wait 15 minutes, this last time no wait, but went around 6 pm on a weeknight maybe Tuesday or Wednesday and open tables the entire time we were there.

Back