Indications that the market is slowing down a bit?

This plan at PS is super narrow. Has never sold well even during the last few years. The one at Woodbury is in the high 400s per sq feet.

jmoney74 said:
This plan at PS is super narrow. Has never sold well even during the last few years. The one at Woodbury is in the high 400s per sq feet.

My thought looking at the photos on the listing was the only windows the didn't stare directly into a very close block wall or side of the neighbors house was in the bathroom with a peekaboo view of the street ( or maybe the motor court)

YellowFever said:
These are some more specific observations:

This relatively fresh home has a whopping 5 bedroom and 4 bathroom at 2398 sq ft at a good price of $367/sqft for $879.  Yet, it's been stuck for 250 days on the market. Surprisingly, it is detached, an excellent selling point.  Not sure why this isn't moving as well as it should.. perhaps location or floor plan is the biggest deal breaker nowadays?https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/58-Prickly-Pear-92618/home/45377780

How about this one in Woodbury?  It's also detached, an excellent starter home but hasn't moved for 178 days.  Fell out of escrow once I believe.https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/192-Vintage-92620/home/5952041

This older El Camino is also not moving given it's large size, 5 bedrooms,and square footage, and low hoa.  Maybe with some hard negotiation skills, one could low ball this at closer to near $800k. This is a home for someone who has many kids, wants freedom to do more things and less hoa restrictions than newer home builds.https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/4102-Manzanita-St-92604/home/4672018

Good to decent floor plan. Priced based on comps. Going to sell quick.

jmoney74 said:
YellowFever said:
These are some more specific observations:

This relatively fresh home has a whopping 5 bedroom and 4 bathroom at 2398 sq ft at a good price of $367/sqft for $879.  Yet, it's been stuck for 250 days on the market. Surprisingly, it is detached, an excellent selling point.  Not sure why this isn't moving as well as it should.. perhaps location or floor plan is the biggest deal breaker nowadays?https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/58-Prickly-Pear-92618/home/45377780

How about this one in Woodbury?  It's also detached, an excellent starter home but hasn't moved for 178 days.  Fell out of escrow once I believe.https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/192-Vintage-92620/home/5952041

This older El Camino is also not moving given it's large size, 5 bedrooms,and square footage, and low hoa.  Maybe with some hard negotiation skills, one could low ball this at closer to near $800k. This is a home for someone who has many kids, wants freedom to do more things and less hoa restrictions than newer home builds.https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/4102-Manzanita-St-92604/home/4672018

Good to decent floor plan. Priced based on comps. Going to sell quick.

+1  I'm getting more and more agent showings and open house traffic on my listings.  I even went to go register a buy at Beacon and their homes are finally selling.  In general, market prices in the sub $1m land in Irvine have been increasing since late last year.  I do think that builders have constantly been increasing prices and may have hit the pricing ceiling for the time being though.

YellowFever said:
I guess what I'm trying to prove is that 'detached' isn't always going to beat out an attached dollar for dollar (square footage).  Irvine-nites pride themselves and realtors always push hard to focus on detached since they appreciate better.  But when using this comparison of similar square footage, we see that attached Helena's sell well and this 192 Vintage has trouble.

Sure maybe, 192 vintage doesn't have efficient floor plans.  And that may very well be the case.  I can't think of any other external cons going against 192 vintage.  It doesn't back a major street, it has lower HOA, and don't need to do landscaping.

103d9pc.png

You also have to consider location and floor plan.  Vintage is a very busy street in Woodbury and that floor plan is dated.  Plus never underestimate the power of the new home smell.  haha  I'll stick to my belief that, in general, detached homes will appreciate and hold value better than attached homes. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
YellowFever said:
I guess what I'm trying to prove is that 'detached' isn't always going to beat out an attached dollar for dollar (square footage).  Irvine-nites pride themselves and realtors always push hard to focus on detached since they appreciate better.  But when using this comparison of similar square footage, we see that attached Helena's sell well and this 192 Vintage has trouble.

Sure maybe, 192 vintage doesn't have efficient floor plans.  And that may very well be the case.  I can't think of any other external cons going against 192 vintage.  It doesn't back a major street, it has lower HOA, and don't need to do landscaping.

103d9pc.png

You also have to consider location and floor plan.  Vintage is a very busy street in Woodbury and that floor plan is dated.  Plus never underestimate the power of the new home smell.  haha  I'll stick to my belief that, in general, detached homes will appreciate and hold value better than attached homes.

When I look at the pix from the Vintage listing, I think to myself...... who is taking care of the landscaping? It's a hot mess as far as I'm concerned. It looks overgrown and makes me think.......... too much maintenance!

Then I look at the inside of the home. I hate all those different colored walls and specifically I can't stand anything that looks like meconium stained amniotic fluid which those green walls look like. I'd have to paint the whole place and redo the yard. For that price home, there are plenty of other places and then I look at the map and say....... oh!........... long street means cars are going to zoom by and I don't want little kids anywhere near the street which anyone in the price range probably has.

If I were the seller, I'd take the listing down, wait for a while and in the meantime, have the walls painted and clean up the yard and maybe do something about those drapes (either take them down or just hang them from one side of the window).

Maybe the issue is the commission schedule?

Ready2Downsize said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
YellowFever said:

103d9pc.png

When I look at the pix from the Vintage listing, I think to myself...... who is taking care of the landscaping? It's a hot mess as far as I'm concerned. It looks overgrown and makes me think.......... too much maintenance!

Then I look at the inside of the home. I hate all those different colored walls and specifically I can't stand anything that looks like meconium stained amniotic fluid which those green walls look like. I'd have to paint the whole place and redo the yard. For that price home, there are plenty of other places and then I look at the map and say....... oh!........... long street means cars are going to zoom by and I don't want little kids anywhere near the street which anyone in the price range probably has.

If I were the seller, I'd take the listing down, wait for a while and in the meantime, have the walls painted and clean up the yard and maybe do something about those drapes (either take them down or just hang them from one side of the window).

Maybe the issue is the commission schedule?

Hmmm to me that Vintage house doesn't look more appealing than Helena model 1. It doesn't really feel like a detached house, especially with the yard setup (kinda feel crammed with the tall wall making you feel boxed in). Also the countertops and floorplan downstairs are kinda out these days. Everyone wants the great room feel.

To me, Helena model 1 have a closer feel to a detached home than that's House on Vintage. I don't think for instance that the Vintage house can compare to an entry level detached like Petaluma.

YellowFever said:
I'm moving this question down here:

Assuming that the market is strong and healthy continuing towards 2020+, and they release a new home "attached" collection called "Selena" (let's pretend :)) at OH3 and assume it is equal square footage to Petaluma and has EVEN MORE efficient floor plans, then are we're saying that it is highly possible, "Selena" will sell for more $/sq ft. than old Petaluma's ?  ;D

So I guess we're saying:

Year 2000 Attached < 2000 Detached < 2010 Attached < 2010 Detached < 2020 Attached < 2020 Detached  etc.etc.

You are thinking too much, just go get that Petaluma already. :)

I don't know what will happen to the housing market in the short terms but I know for a fact that in 2020 and beyond, there's a tidal wave of first time buyer coming up.

FYI, there are going to be a population boom in the 30-39 year old age group, the prime age group for household formation and first time home buying, starting now and won't peak until 2028. 

What this mean for housing is that besides the usual factors like economic, interest rate and employment, the demographic is going to play a big roll in the future housing market and the demands for those starter home with 3 or 4 bedrooms are going through the roof in the coming years.

And in about 5 years, most of TIC developed village especially the uner $1M products will be gone, just about the time when the first time buyers population reaches to a new high. 

Don't be overly concern what will happen to the housing in the short term.  Get one now while the interest rate is still low and plenty of new build selections before the next big housing boom hits. 
http://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2017/03/demographics-renting-vs-owning.html

Attachments

• DemographicBuyRent 1.jpg
    DemographicBuyRent 1.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 84
Is the Vintage floorplan really that dated?  It's only 10 years old.

USCTrojanCPA said:
YellowFever said:

103d9pc.png

lnc said:
YellowFever said:

Assuming that the market is strong and healthy continuing towards 2020+, and they release a new home "attached" collection called "Selena" (let's pretend :)) at OH3 and assume it is equal square footage to Petaluma and has EVEN MORE efficient floor plans, then are we're saying that it is highly possible, "Selena" will sell for more $/sq ft. than old Petaluma's ?  ;D

So I guess we're saying:

Year 2000 Attached < 2000 Detached < 2010 Attached < 2010 Detached < 2020 Attached < 2020 Detached  etc.etc.

I don't know what will happen to the housing market in the short terms but I know for a fact that in 2020 and beyond, there's a tidal wave of first time buyer coming up.

FYI, there are going to be a population boom in the 30-39 year old age group, the prime age group for household formation and first time home buying, starting now and won't peak until 2028. 

What this mean for housing is that besides the usual factors like economic, interest rate and employment, the demographic is going to play a big roll in the future housing market and the demands for those starter home with 3 or 4 bedrooms are going through the roof in the coming years.

And in about 5 years, most of TIC developed village especially the uner $1M products will be gone, just about the time when the first time buyers population reaches to a new high. 

Don't be overly concern what will happen to the housing in the short term.  Get one now while the interest rate is still low and plenty of new build selections before the next big housing boom hits. 

News reports indicate H1-B visas will be reduced/harder to get, but no concrete answer last time I checked.

Does that play in the equation?

I've viewed Vintage, it's not a very good floor plan in my opinion.  It being on Vintage was even worse.  The home definitely didn't show well in my opinion. 

eyephone said:
lnc said:
YellowFever said:

So I guess we're saying:

News reports indicate H1-B visas will be reduced/harder to get, but no concrete answer last time I checked.

Does that play in the equation?

My hubby used to work for a company that outsources most of their software work to India. Sometimes it becomes necessary to bring those workers on shore for a while and they depend on the H1-B visa. Soon as he heard those would be harder to get he said.......... another good reason I left that company. It's going to be a problem for them.

OTOH if they weren't paying those workers next to nothing in India and had workers here they wouldn't be in that situation.

Inc took the words out of my mouth! I think you're very knowledgeable about the area and your options now, trust your gut.

lnc said:

Back