Would you...

socal78

Would you take a very unique job opportunity doing something you love IF you could not stand the people that you would have to work in very close quarters with?

SoCal said:
Would you take a very unique job opportunity doing something you love IF you could not stand the people that you would have to work in very close quarters with?

NO! No matter how cool the job, your coworkers will kill the joy if you hate working with them.

SoCal said:

I'd take the job and throw those people under the bus.

Even if you love what you will be doing, a bad boss or bad co-workers you have to interact with will make the 'love' turn to 'hate'.

I totally get each response. My thoughts have ranged from: "I'm not letting some jerks stand in the way of a good thing" to "It's not worth it".

How do you know you can't stand the people if you haven't taken the job yet?

I'm on the fence with this because people can be fired or will change to keep their job, the opportunity to work doing something that doesn't feel like work is rare for many and some may choose that over the compensation or having to work with people they do not like.

irvinehomeowner said:
How do you know you can't stand the people if you haven't taken the job yet?

Because I already know them and work with them on occasion. There are 2. Each time, I try to create a clean slate in my mind. A fresh start. I go into it thinking: "Give them another chance. They're not trying to be annoying" And each time, afterwards, I end up thinking: "I am never. ever. doing this again." I count the minutes until they leave. I'm not the only one who thinks that about them. They are very brash with others as well.

I think about this topic almost every day now. Borderline obsessed with it.

Work chemistry can be so important.

One idea I've had recently is to invite one of the jerks out to lunch. Or a whole day at the Spectrum. Make it an undercover interview. Try hard to find redeeming qualities. See if we could make this work. (If you have to force it, it probably isn't meant to be, though.) The only problem with this idea is... if it's a fail... if I come back & say, "That's a No Go for me", they will know why. Hmmm.

Oh, Iho. You and your lesbian fantasies.

So, update, the 2 annoying people have been away at conferences for most of the week. What a relief. It's too bad it couldn't be like that all the time. I decided to partially confess my feelings to my boss. I said it was so nice having the place all to ourselves and that it was a pleasure getting to work alone 1-on-1 with her without a lot of interruption (in a totally non-lesbo way. Don't get excited.). To my surprise, she agreed! I never knew that she, too, felt they were a pain sometimes. Having them removed from the equation was really helpful. It made me realize what a big factor their presence is. I don't think I'm tall enough to ride their emotional roller coaster.

SoCal said:
Oh, Iho. You and your lesbian fantasies.

So, update, the 2 annoying people have been away at conferences for most of the week. What a relief. It's too bad it couldn't be like that all the time. I decided to partially confess my feelings to my boss. I said it was so nice having the place all to ourselves and that it was a pleasure getting to work alone 1-on-1 with her without a lot of interruption (in a totally non-lesbo way. Don't get excited.). To my surprise, she agreed! I never knew that she, too, felt they were a pain sometimes. Having them removed from the equation was really helpful. It made me realize what a big factor their presence is. I don't think I'm tall enough to ride their emotional roller coaster.

Wait is this that boss that's the old woman who can't hear that you mentioned a while back in some thread?

Paris said:
Wait is this that boss that's the old woman who can't hear that you mentioned a while back in some thread?

Sorry, just saw this.

She can hear okay. She just has other issues. Yeah, she's old. I posted a while ago about her accusing me of messing with her calendar. Also, she accused us all of stealing her Christmas stuffed animals. (I didn't do either of those things.)

I would say it's gotten worse. She drops the ball a lot now. It's sad. She just wants to find love, retire, and enjoy her golden years. She hasn't been with a man in about 30 years!!!!  :( The other day when we were all alone in the office, she reached for a Kleenex and lifted her eyeglasses. I noticed she was CRYING.  :'( She said she feels so lonely and just wants someone to share her life with. I tried to cheer her up. I told her she is pretty, a classy lady, and a very loving person (I'm not kissing up to my boss, I actually mean it) -- I said she can get a man! She replied that the vast majority of men at her age are already taken or dead!  :-\ And the ones that aren't, want younger women. She's only had a few dates over the decades. They didn't work out. She described them in detail. Two were total losers. She finally found one great guy that she wanted to see again... he didn't feel the same way back.

Scary! This stuff preys upon my worst fears. I was shocked when she started crying at her desk. I knew she was unhappy but I didn't think it was that bad. It was soooooo, so sad seeing this older lady feel so hopeless. She almost looked child-like the way she sank into her big chair and hid her face in tissues, the way you feel when you're a little kid and your parent accidentally loses you at the store - you're scared and alone and wondering if you're ever going to be found again. Then I started thinking about it more and I started getting choked up! Then both of us were crying! I could cry just typing this! I guess this is not your typical workplace. Too much Yin, not enough Yang like I've said all along. ha. I told her, I'm definitely going to keep my eyes open for her. I've got to get this woman married and retired. Anyone on T.I. got a dad or grandpa looking for love?  :) 60-80. Hit me up!  :)

SoCal said:

One idea I've had recently is to invite one of the jerks out to lunch. Or a whole day at the Spectrum. Make it an undercover interview. Try hard to find redeeming qualities. See if we could make this work. (If you have to force it, it probably isn't meant to be, though.) The only problem with this idea is... if it's a fail... if I come back & say, "That's a No Go for me", they will know why. Hmmm.

Creative idea but YMMV.

I have had coworker who had an attitude of a toddler (my way or tantrum). Combine that with the management that has an attitude of "live with it", you are basically taking on additional responsibilities of managing your peers (their mood, behavior, expectations). Sure it takes fun out of what you like and want to do.

my $0.02.

YellowFever said:
Socal !!!!  I have the GREATEST IDEA for you! 

Is she a U.S. Citizen? 

There are MILLIONS of single and eligible bachelors in China.  They would LOVE to come live with her in America in Irvine. 

_90934682_img_2606.jpg

Yellow Fever,

Serious question. Do the old villagers even consider that idea socially acceptable? Like, you know how a lot of people (of all colors) don't want to piss off their parents so they marry within their own race, especially in the previous generations... would the old guys like that man on the left really do it just to become an Irvine home owner? Or is it out of the question even for them? Just curious.

Cornflakes said:
SoCal said:

Creative idea but YMMV.

I have had coworker who had an attitude of a toddler (my way or tantrum). Combine that with the management that has an attitude of "live with it", you are basically taking on additional responsibilities of managing your peers (their mood, behavior, expectations). Sure it takes fun out of what you like and want to do.

my $0.02.

Do you still work with that person?

You're right. Some people are a total killjoy. Sometimes the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Back