Backyard Water Feature scale/lime/calcium buildup

IrvineBS

Like the title says, the water feature in my backyard has some scale/lime/calcium build up that I can't scrub off. It's on there pretty thick.

Anyone recommend a gentle cleaner? It's made of Italian marble so i need something gentle so it won't damage the stone.

Additionally - anyone have a good professional cleaner they can recommend?

Thanks.

Attachments

• rsz_wf.jpg
    rsz_wf.jpg
    844 KB · Views: 272
Dunno if this will work, but it's one of the most powerful cleaners I've found.

51Z0k6fWR%2BL.jpg

Target sells it.

zubs said:
Dunno if this will work, but it's one of the most powerful cleaners I've found.

51Z0k6fWR%2BL.jpg

Target sells it.

This stuff is a miracle on stainless but I would be wary of the oxalic acid on marble. Anything acidic on marble may be a problem as it may end up etching it.

agree with peppy!  the only thing that I know to remove scale is dilute acid, but that will likely eat the marble. 

you may need to consult a museum-level conservator (or learn to live with it)

good luck!

freedomcm said:
agree with peppy!  the only thing that I know to remove scale is dilute acid, but that will likely eat the marble. 

good luck!

Thanks, but if i leave it as is, won't that lime/calcium eat away at the stone and end up damaging it?

IrvineBS said:
freedomcm said:

good luck!

Thanks, but if i leave it as is, won't that lime/calcium eat away at the stone and end up damaging it?

It's the same stuff. Marble comes from a metamorphosed calcium deposit. Your limescale buildup are calcium deposits from your water.

It's not "eating away" at it, just growing on top of it. The only way to get rid of it is by mechanical means (scraping, sanding, buffing, etc). 

For anyone interested - Half water/half white vinegar seems to be helping remove most of the calcium deposits!

+ 1 for the White Vinegar trick although not on marble. Sure it's marble and not slate or some other stone?

Unless you use distilled or have a good strong water filter, your water treatment/fountain is going to deteriorate pretty quickly. You can buy small water filter systems for your fountain if you plan on keeping the thing for more than 2-3 years. Best $$ investment out there for keeping limescale and or calcium at bay.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People.

IrvineBS said:
For anyone interested - Half water/half white vinegar seems to be helping remove most of the calcium deposits!

This is definitely something you should NOT do to marble. Watch out for staining and changes in texture. You may have some sealant that is preventing the etching but any acid that makes it into marble (which is rather porous) will be a problem.

IrvineBS said:
update - the fountain is indeed Italian tile. NOT marble.

any suggestions for tile? TIA

For calcium buildup on porcelain and glass doors citric acid has worked well for me.

Back