9 (9.8%)
Post grad masters
15 (16.3%)
No college
2 (2.2%)
Other
2 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: Higher Education  (Read 3629 times)

Offline irvinehomeshopper

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 526
  • -Received: 954
Re: Higher Education
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2017, 12:28:34 PM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/harvey-mudd-college-curriculum-computer-science-2017-3

Mudders makes more than Cardinals or Crimsonites. Asian parents take note for 4 years in a row Mudders have the highest ROI but not so much of a bragging right to impress other uninformed Irvinite parents that their kids got into Mudd.

I think most people can guess what my educational background is (or just look at IrvineDream's spreadsheet).

Nope! I consider myself somewhat of an amateur expert in Iho-ology. Even after a decade, I would still fail this question on an Iho Pop Quiz. You are shrouded in mystery! And you like it that way. The only thing I could say with certainty is that it wasn't Ivy league. I know you're also open-minded when it comes to your kids attending community college. That's an indication but this section is still blank on my own Excel sheet (along with age, weight, and singing ability...) If I had to guess, though, based on your upbringing, it would be a Cal State w/ a Bachelor's. Do I get a gold star?
Didn't IHO go to one of the Claremont Colleges?
"I can only imagine at a house warming party what a total embarrassment it would be to tell the guests that there is no tour because there is no more house to show you because you are standing in the only room in the house. "

Offline Irvine Fanatic

• Zot Zot Zot
  • Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 19
  • -Received: 39
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 12:38:14 PM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/harvey-mudd-college-curriculum-computer-science-2017-3

Mudders makes more than Cardinals or Crimsonites. Asian parents take note for 4 years in a row Mudders have the highest ROI but not so much of a bragging right to impress other uninformed Irvinite parents that their kids got into Mudd.

I think most people can guess what my educational background is (or just look at IrvineDream's spreadsheet).

Nope! I consider myself somewhat of an amateur expert in Iho-ology. Even after a decade, I would still fail this question on an Iho Pop Quiz. You are shrouded in mystery! And you like it that way. The only thing I could say with certainty is that it wasn't Ivy league. I know you're also open-minded when it comes to your kids attending community college. That's an indication but this section is still blank on my own Excel sheet (along with age, weight, and singing ability...) If I had to guess, though, based on your upbringing, it would be a Cal State w/ a Bachelor's. Do I get a gold star?
Didn't IHO go to one of the Claremont Colleges?

I think you can spin college results many different ways. Some parents may look at this other list and think potential for earnings is higher.

http://www.businessinsider.in/The-20-Universities-That-Have-Produced-The-Most-Billionaires/articleshow/42733554.cms

Offline Happiness

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 233
  • -Received: 207
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2017, 05:50:12 PM »

Offline Paris

• Thanks
  • -Given: 168
  • -Received: 142
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2017, 11:40:12 PM »
Forget college, be a firefighter:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/san-ramon-california-firefighters-making-up-to-400k/

holy crap! Can't a high school educated person become a fire fighter? Why are they earning so much? And why do they feel obligated to a pension when 99% of America has to depend on a 401K? Taxpayer waste.

Offline morekaos

• Thanks
  • -Given: 99
  • -Received: 132
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2017, 07:16:10 AM »
But ironically, there's a huge shortage of applicants. One of my friends is a fire captain in the Southbay and says they can't find people to fill jobs.  He said Kids these days turn their nose up at the starting pay. Go figure, millenials.

Firehouses Raise Alarm Over Lack of Young Recruits

Number of volunteer firefighters has fallen nearly 10% from 1984, while call volume has tripled

http://www.wsj.com/articles/firehouses-raise-alarm-over-lack-of-young-recruits-1487932206

Offline Dresden215

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 14
  • -Received: 38
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2017, 11:03:27 AM »
Wow, no wonder I see the firefighters with fun toys: $100k RV's, Sea-Doos, $80k trucks, etc. I need to tell my boys to forget that business degree and just be a firefighter.

Better yet, get a degree in education and become a TUSD superintendent and get nothing accomplished and still get paid well:

http://transparentcalifornia.com/salaries/2015/school-districts/orange/tustin-unified/gregory-a-franklin/

Offline nosuchreality

• Thanks
  • -Given: 70
  • -Received: 281
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 08:30:14 AM »
But ironically, there's a huge shortage of applicants. One of my friends is a fire captain in the Southbay and says they can't find people to fill jobs.  He said Kids these days turn their nose up at the starting pay. Go figure, millenials.

Firehouses Raise Alarm Over Lack of Young Recruits

Number of volunteerfirefighters has fallen nearly 10% from 1984, while call volume has tripled

http://www.wsj.com/articles/firehouses-raise-alarm-over-lack-of-young-recruits-1487932206

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-10000-apply-in-rebooted-lafd-hiring-20140728-story.html

B-S.

BTW, I highlighted the important word...

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 1854
  • -Received: 3287
  • 3CWG
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2017, 08:57:28 AM »
Maybe my next poll should be which UC.

I'm thinking UCLA and UCI will top the results.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
www.loansbyjw.com

Offline SoCal

• Thanks
  • -Given: 1786
  • -Received: 1453
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 09:11:08 AM »
Yeah, if you don't mind gearing up, climbing a 2-story+ ladder, hooking the back of your knees on the top rung, suspending yourself upside down for a few minutes, righting yourself, and getting down, become a firefighter. The training is no cake walk. Not all will make it.

Also, from the looks of them, I think there's a pre-req that you have to be a Calvin Klein male model or something.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline AW

• Thanks
  • -Given: 45
  • -Received: 145
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2017, 09:32:05 AM »
Yeah, if you don't mind gearing up, climbing a 2-story+ ladder, hooking the back of your knees on the top rung, suspending yourself upside down for a few minutes, righting yourself, and getting down, become a firefighter. The training is no cake walk. Not all will make it.

Very true, know someone in college that was extremely fit but still didn't make the cut, most won't make it

Offline SoCal

• Thanks
  • -Given: 1786
  • -Received: 1453
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2017, 09:50:22 AM »

Very true, know someone in college that was extremely fit but still didn't make the cut, most won't make it

Yup. My friend's husband is a big, tough dude who dreamed of becoming a firefighter ever since he was a little boy. This particular exercise gave him an anxiety attack.

Offline Paris

• Thanks
  • -Given: 168
  • -Received: 142
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2017, 02:33:30 AM »

oh come on, it's not like training to be a Navy Seal. But yes I bet it is more difficult than becoming the police academy.
For that kind of pay it better be similar to Seal training - I bet you the Navy Seals don't get paid that much  ::)

Offline nosuchreality

• Thanks
  • -Given: 70
  • -Received: 281
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2017, 08:35:28 AM »

oh come on, it's not like training to be a Navy Seal. But yes I bet it is more difficult than becoming the police academy.
For that kind of pay it better be similar to Seal training - I bet you the Navy Seals don't get paid that much  ::)

Just like the Seals, it's not fitness and toughness, it's psychological.  Many people have problems with dark, smoke, cramped, & physical disorientation not to mention actually life threatening.  You need to stay calm and in control in these conditions, many won't make it.

I think we could massively improve the pool of the 13,000 candidates the LAFD got for 84 positions if we were more honest about their actual compensation.   While that seems good, I regularly got 300+ resumes for a single tech posting.  Although the application process was much easier.

I don't mind firefighters or police officers making good money, let's just be honest about their real compensation and benefits.  Then we will have more good people willing to do it.

Offline garybrill

• Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 0
    • Dissertation Help UK Review
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2017, 12:33:47 AM »
Higher education is university level , college and sixth form are described as Further education

Offline spootieho

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 105
  • -Received: 54
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2017, 03:52:06 PM »
Wow, no wonder I see the firefighters with fun toys: $100k RV's, Sea-Doos, $80k trucks, etc. I need to tell my boys to forget that business degree and just be a firefighter.

Better yet, get a degree in education and become a TUSD superintendent and get nothing accomplished and still get paid well:

http://transparentcalifornia.com/salaries/2015/school-districts/orange/tustin-unified/gregory-a-franklin/
In LA, they scored a windfall with the new pension plan paying 90% of their retirement with the ability to retire pretty young.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: Lakers News by jmoney74
[Today at 02:39:04 PM]

Re: Lakers News by eyephone
[Today at 02:36:27 PM]

Re: 2017-2018 Property Tax Bills are out! by jmoney74
[Today at 02:25:42 PM]