Rain and effect on Homes in Construction

pjs4x4

I was wondering what effect the rain we had in the last month as well as the large storm expected this weekend will have on the homes currently in construction. For example, is the wood for the frame treated to handle a constant rain What about the constant rain on exposed foundations? I'm sure states like Oregon and Washington deal with this all the time but Southern California might be different.

Will be there any issues with rot or mold due to the exposed frame or roofing material? Sorry if this is a silly question but it just popped up in my mind and was wondering if anyone on the forum has any insight or experience.

pjs4x4 said:
I was wondering what effect the rain we had in the last month as well as the large storm expected this weekend will have on the homes currently in construction. For example, is the wood for the frame treated to handle a constant rain What about the constant rain on exposed foundations? I'm sure states like Oregon and Washington deal with this all the time but Southern California might be different.

Will be there any issues with rot or mold due to the exposed frame or roofing material? Sorry if this is a silly question but it just popped up in my mind and was wondering if anyone on the forum has any insight or experience.

Not sure about the issues on exposed framing and roof material but all of my new home buyers' homes had their closing dates delayed by about a month or so.

Good info as well. Thank you. I wonder if this pushes some closings past the max delivery date (I think 9 months from contract date) as stated on the purchase contract? Would that allow people to walk about from contract?

Wood framing can get soaked, but it dries. So long as the framing isn't enclosed while insufficiently dry (mold), there isn't really an issue. Builders place the roof on before they install items that water exposure will ruin (drywall).

OCLuvr said:
Do builders compensate for the delay?

That's a great question, especially when it pertains if you have an interest rate lock and the delay pushes you beyond that date.  I would think the builder might help out or at least I'd hope that they would. 

More likely with preferred lender (on builder related delays affecting loan, as that's what both builder and lender told me on mine), and also on stuff you pick out (ran out on the specific flooring, countertop, etc) that may cause delays, they'd give free level up upgrades too.

Buyers get penalized for delays on a per day basis, but the builder may delay closing without any buyer recourse. Doesn't seem fair, but the contract is written that way. This is especially true in a sellers market when they have a line of buyers who would purchase after the builder absorbs your deposit.

our close date has been pushed probably around 2 weeks due to weather delaying inspections and gas meter installs.  luckly roofing was in prior to rains starting.

not to go TOO off topic, but it would be too prudent to do a home inspection for homebuyers who moved just prior to the rainstorms to mainly check for leaks?

I guess I'm answering my own question here, but I would hate to not have identified a potential leak and have it sit for months before doing a final independent home inspection just prior to warranty expiration.

Back