contractors - tile work.

hello

Looking for someone to retile my floors.  I got quotes for 5-6 dollars a sq foot.  I dont know their quality of work so I thought Id ask the community here.  need to retile about 3000 sq ft. 

I would also appreciate if anyone has advice where to get best deals on tile.  Im looking for specific brands either American olean or pental tiles.

Thanks.

hello said:
Looking for someone to retile my floors.  I got quotes for 5-6 dollars a sq foot.  I dont know their quality of work so I thought Id ask the community here.  need to retile about 3000 sq ft. 

I would also appreciate if anyone has advice where to get best deals on tile.  Im looking for specific brands either American olean or pental tiles.

Thanks.

3,000 sq feet of tile?  Ronnie will be jealous.

That's gonna be a LOT of dust.

hello said:

Thanks.

Floor & Decor is your friend.  Bought most tiles for my remodels there (went expensive on my masterbath with italian marble from Bedrosian). 

Just completed my tiles work, and will post some pics after sealer. I had about 1100 sqft feet done and really good works from this two man crew. Hard worker and honest. Best of all the price can't be beat. I checked several sources both on TI and the big box stores. And the price range for tiling is anywhere between 10 to 15 dollars per sqft.

I got my porcelin tiles from Lowe's natural timber grey ash 8 X 48 with military discount.

The entire 1st floor was laid out and it looks even bigger now. I had the builder standard carpet and tiles ripped out which is just awfull. So happy with the end result. Will post pics soon.

How long did they retile the first floor for two man? Dont want to wait too long to move in. I am going to select the upgrade for the new home soon. Thinking about upgrade the carpet of living room to tile. But dont want to pay more tax if let builder upgrade.

qiushuiqs1 said:
How long did they retile the first floor for two man? Dont want to wait too long to move in. I am going to select the upgrade for the new home soon. Thinking about upgrade the carpet of living room to tile. But dont want to pay more tax if let builder upgrade.

If the home is vacant maybe 3-4 days max.

USCTrojanCPA said:
qiushuiqs1 said:

If the home is vacant maybe 3-4 days max.

Agree with USCTrojan, for us it took a bit longer since we lived in. But it well worth the hassle. I would not get the upgrade through builder. The labor cost is 3 dollars per sqft for tiles install and that's including demo. I did 1/16, that super tight grout lines, . They did removed the baseboard then I repainted it and they put it back. There were a couple of broken baseboard but no big deal.

Compressed-Village said:
Just completed my tiles work, and will post some pics after sealer. I had about 1100 sqft feet done and really good works from this two man crew. Hard worker and honest. Best of all the price can't be beat. I checked several sources both on TI and the big box stores. And the price range for tiling is anywhere between 10 to 15 dollars per sqft.

I got my porcelin tiles from Lowe's natural timber grey ash 8 X 48 with military discount.

The entire 1st floor was laid out and it looks even bigger now. I had the builder standard carpet and tiles ripped out which is just awfull. So happy with the end result. Will post pics soon.

So it's time for us to replace the builder standard stuff and do flooring but not wood (tons of threads about Venetian, Urban and HFD here).

We want to go tile too, did the people you use have any of their own selection or do they just install? What was the cost/sft? Please PM me if you don't want to disclose publicly.

And, where are the pics? :)

They only provide labors. Everything else you have to buy. The good thing about that is that I have no pressure and taking my time getting the materials that I want. I did have to buy grout, grout sealer, thinset, and of course the tiles.

Attachments

• Tiles_Woods_Floor_2.jpg
    Tiles_Woods_Floor_2.jpg
    991.6 KB · Views: 218
irvinehomeowner said:
So it's time for us to replace the builder standard stuff and do flooring but not wood (tons of threads about Venetian, Urban and HFD here).

We want to go tile too, did the people you use have any of their own selection or do they just install? What was the cost/sft? Please PM me if you don't want to disclose publicly.

And, where are the pics? :)

We recently renovated flooring/kitchen. Found the installer (SunCoast tiling) via Yelp. Had good reviews and experience for wood like tile. We are happy with the end result. Got the tile and grout from Arizona Tile. Installer provided rest of material.

home-design.jpg

home-design.jpg

Both those floors look pretty good.

@bitmaster20: Where did you get your cabinets? Those look like an off-white shaker full overlay style. Very nice.

irvinehomeowner said:
Both those floors look pretty good.

@bitmaster20: Where did you get your cabinets? Those look like an off-white shaker full overlay style. Very nice.

Thanks. IKEA cabinets, with Grimslov fronts.

ChunkFinley said:
Who did your countertops and backsplash? Looks great!

Thanks.

Countertop was through Gramar Stone in Anaheim.

Backsplash was installed by the contractor, tile was from Arizona Tile.

OT, but since you guys are using tile, was wondering why you guys personally chose tile over the hardwood or engineered wood. 

akkord said:
OT, but since you guys are using tile, was wondering why you guys personally chose tile over the hardwood or engineered wood.

It "should" be more durable and cheaper than hardwood?

akkord said:

For us it was a matter of durability and maintenance. Tile is more forgiving to spills, things dropping, chairs being dragged across the surface, etc.

irvinehomeowner said:
I am looking for a wood tile that has varying widths, like real wood.

The only one I've seen was at Arizona Tile.

Keep in mind, the labor really adds up as you add more variables to the installation (patterns, varying widths, etc).

irvinehomeowner said:
I am looking for a wood tile that has varying widths, like real wood.

The only one I've seen was at Arizona Tile.

How about these tiles from Porcelanosa. 

These tile come with two width, 12" and 8", and you can mix them up.  Not only they are rectified, the recommended grout width is only 1/16". 

First two pics are Ascot Arce.

The 3rd one are Ascot Roble.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 193
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 193
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 189