New build - a lot of noise leaking through windows

Fxguy

Hi everyone,

I'm in my new build and I love it. One thing I definitely noticed is that the noise coming through the Midgard windows is significant. For example, I can hear people talking clearly just outside on the side walk like there really no window there. When I go into the model home, it's dead silent. Now I know that many factors can affect noise and sound leaking through, including furniture and carpet but this seems to be too much.

Since I have one year to report anything bothering me, is this something I should bring up to the builder? Are they using better insulation and windows for the model homes? Could there be a simple fix to this like more sealant? I really do want a quiet home.

Anyone else dealt with this? Is it a "it is what it is" situation?

Any suggestions? I moved in a month ago. 

Thanks in advance.

Fxguy said:
Hi everyone,

I'm in my new build and I love it. One thing I definitely noticed is that the noise coming through the Midgard windows is significant. For example, I can hear people talking clearly just outside on the side walk like there really no window there. When I go into the model home, it's dead silent. Now I know that many factors can affect noise and sound leaking through, including furniture and carpet but this seems to be too much.

Since I have one year to report anything bothering me, is this something I should bring up to the builder? Are they using better insulation and windows for the model homes? Could there be a simple fix to this like more sealant? I really do want a quiet home.

Anyone else dealt with this? Is it a "it is what it is" situation?

Any suggestions? I moved in a month ago. 

Thanks in advance.

Double-panel windows should dampen the noise a lot, but Milgard sucks.  You should complain anyway.

Fxguy said:
When I go into the model home, it's dead silent.

The lots chosen for model units are usually the ideal locations within the community: Best view, most private, roomier, end unit, quietest, etc.

Like the previous comment said, it sure would be nice to have double-pane windows but I doubt there's much that the builder will really do about it, imho. Maybe look into buying some on your own. If the loud talking were to happen at night and is done consistently by identifiable residents, you can consider bringing it up with the HOA management if it is interfering with the peaceful enjoyment of your home. They can contact them. Otherwise, unfortunately, it's just part and parcel of living in tight quarters especially with inconsiderate neighbors (I've been there before, I know it's not fun.)

Complain. It is a new build and you have double pane windows and outside walls should have the same insulation as what a model would. The fact that you here the noise right outside the wall, tells me their is an issue with the insulation and/or seal. Worse thing they do is tell you no, but I'd complain, complain, complain.  In most cases, builder will do something. 

Fxguy: Is there an update on this? It's been a couple weeks. If you asked the builder, I'd be interested in knowing what they said.

SoCal said:
Fxguy: Is there an update on this? It's been a couple weeks. If you asked the builder, I'd be interested in knowing what they said.

I should have an update soon. Milgard is coming next Friday to listen. I've been told by the builder that there may not be anything they can do about it. We will see. I would love to have more sound proofing.

Double-panel window shouldn?t be through noise,I think it due to install window. May be there is a big space between window and wall,but builder didn?t fill it well.So the noise come through from here.

Back