Coyote on school campus

RandomG

A lone coyote was roaming around the field at the school my kids attend, yesterday at dismissal time. The students got so excited and the little ones especially decided to chase it, they got dangerously close to it. Eventually the principal came out and led everyone inside and I believe they called Animal Control. I whisked my kids off quickly, although they, being from FL, were of the opinion we should get closer and take some pictures.
Poor coyote though, I think it was more scared of the shrieking kids than vice versa. Although who knows at what point it would feel threatened and decide to attack.
As we walked away, I could still see it just hanging around the field, minding its own business.
Interesting to see this interaction between man and nature, and I couldn't help wondering who encroached upon whose territory.
I wonder what happens to it after they catch it (if they do).

RandomG said:
A lone coyote was roaming around the field at the school my kids attend, yesterday at dismissal time. The students got so excited and the little ones especially decided to chase it, they got dangerously close to it. Eventually the principal came out and led everyone inside and I believe they called Animal Control. I whisked my kids off quickly, although they, being from FL, were of the opinion we should get closer and take some pictures.
Poor coyote though, I think it was more scared of the shrieking kids than vice versa. Although who knows at what point it would feel threatened and decide to attack.
As we walked away, I could still see it just hanging around the field, minding its own business.
Interesting to see this interaction between man and nature, and I couldn't help wondering who encroached upon whose territory.
I wonder what happens to it after they catch it (if they do).

I don't think they do much unless someone gets bitten - then they euthanize (verified with a DNA match).

I've run into that coyote a few times the past few weeks.  My kids said they saw it when they walked to school and at school like RandomG mentioned. 

I tried to get a closer look the other day but it kept running away.  The one I have seen is a young coyote. 

Our schools in FL had tall chain link fences probably exactly for that reason!!

I'll take a pack of coyotes over one single freely roaming alligator!

We saw the coyote again at the school a few days ago (in the late afternoon, no students on campus). Weird thing is it walked around the campus and then vanished into the residential area, between houses. Now I don't live my back door open anymore.

Back