Key fobs or cards duplication for yourself

sumokey

Hey folks!

Looking to make a copy or duplication of your key fob or card. https://sumokey.comhas an easy 4-step process.

Check out 4-step process in this vid: https://youtu.be/8Xv_VaQfGW8

It ends up being $15.95/copy if you order the 5-pack.

FAQ

RFID keys are considered the same as a psychical key in the eyes of the law. There is no restriction in California on copying a key you legally own. Therefore, duplicating an RFID key is not any different then getting your house key copied at the local hardware store. However, if you are still concerned please check the local laws in your state.

daedalus said:
I'm going to use my psychical abilities and say that's spam.

Well it's a legitimate service for any folks that are interested in duplicating their key fobs or cards.
Thanks for your comment and spam is delish.

Someone tried to advertise this on NextDoor and got shot down.

For anyone thinking about doing this--it may seem like a convenient and cheap way to get replacement or extra fobs rather than going through your HOA, but think about the greater implications of multiple people doing the same thing.

Maybe they're giving out fobs to all their friends and family to access the pools/tennis courts, etc.

Maybe they moved and are renting their place out but will keep a copy for themselves to maintain access to the facilities.
Maybe your renters will do the same thing--make copies for friends and families.

Meanwhile, you pay high HOA fees to maintain these private facilities that will become more and more crowded, and used by freeloaders outside the community who have no vested interest in maintaining them. This is different from you personally bringing your guests in to use the facilities while you are there.

Additionally, who knows what happens to that RFID info once the company has used it to make one copy--seems like an awfully easy step to make a few (or a lot) more duplicates and sell them on the black market.

Please think it through before going down this path.

Aww nextdoor, so I was going to join it. But I had reservations because on the website it says that a person needs to give their full name?

nyc to oc said:

For anyone thinking about doing this--it may seem like a convenient and cheap way to get replacement or extra fobs rather than going through your HOA, but think about the greater implications of multiple people doing the same thing.

Maybe they're giving out fobs to all their friends and family to access the pools/tennis courts, etc.

Maybe they moved and are renting their place out but will keep a copy for themselves to maintain access to the facilities.
Maybe your renters will do the same thing--make copies for friends and families.

Meanwhile, you pay high HOA fees to maintain these private facilities that will become more and more crowded, and used by freeloaders outside the community who have no vested interest in maintaining them. This is different from you personally bringing your guests in to use the facilities while you are there.

Additionally, who knows what happens to that RFID info once the company has used it to make one copy--seems like an awfully easy step to make a few (or a lot) more duplicates and sell them on the black market.

eyephone said:
Aww nextdoor, so I was going to join it. But I had reservations because on the website it says that a person needs to give their full name?

nyc to oc said:

Yes, you're supposed to give your full (and real name). It will verify that you are who you claim you are before you can join. To discourage the type of behavior that can sometimes come out on anonymous internet boards.

nyc to oc said:
eyephone said:

nyc to oc said:

Yes, you're supposed to give your full (and real name). It will verify that you are who you claim you are before you can join. To discourage the type of behavior that can sometimes come out on anonymous internet boards.

If you do an internet search on your full name, does the conversation from next door show?

nyc to oc said:
eyephone said:

nyc to oc said:

I thought you can enter your phone number and receive a text or receive something in the mail with a code to confirm your address.

eyephone said:
If you do an internet search on your full name, does the conversation from next door show?

Each NextDoor neighborhood is a private website so it's not publicly searchable.

But I would be careful with what you post as every site is susceptible to hacking (or someone you irritate in NextDoor can copy/paste your content on Facebook or something).

Doesn't the HOA technically own the key fob / access card? I'm not sure you "legally own it" the same way you own your house key.

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:

Each NextDoor neighborhood is a private website so it's not publicly searchable.

But I would be careful with what you post as every site is susceptible to hacking (or someone you irritate in NextDoor can copy/paste your content on Facebook or something).

Are you 100% positive that it's not searchable?

peppy said:
Doesn't the HOA technically own the key fob / access card? I'm not sure you "legally own it" the same way you own your house key.

Not only that, but if it is the same technology as the corporate ID cards. (A business can tell who enters the building at what time and/or what doors were open with the ID. I'm sure everybody knows that.) As such, if you copy the fob key and has your unique ID on the fob key you are in a way responsible if anything happens.

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:

No 100% promises when it comes to the internet.

Just tried searching NextDoor and street names in my neighborhood and no one's name or conversation comes up.

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:

No 100% promises when it comes to the internet.

Just tried searching NextDoor and street names in my neighborhood and no one's name or conversation comes up.

If you are in the next portal, I believe if you type in the last name in search box members names show up, then there are neighbor converations come up with that search. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Just thought about this scenario: If the HR person is joined up with next and is from Irvine. If the candidate lives in Irvines, they can just simply type in the person's name and see what comes up?

Another thought: in my scenario the HR person doesn't even have to live in Irvine. They can just enter an address and confirm it with a telephone message code confirmation, and then they can browse around next.

daedalus said:
I'm going to use my psychical abilities and say that's spam.

Even advertisement threads have some redeeming qualities as you never know where the thread will go. 

AND! you also get to make fun & attack ad spammers.

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:

NextDoor posts sit behind a login page, so they wouldn't be searchable by bots. However, as with all things on the internet, you shouldn't post anything that you wouldn't want the whole world to see.

bitmaster20 said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:

NextDoor posts sit behind a login page, so they wouldn't be searchable by bots. However, as with all things on the internet, you shouldn't post anything that you wouldn't want the whole world to see.

I already gave scenarios, how a person can simply sign up, also how do you know the person who is doing the search is  not already signed up.

To Iho s point about snitches... I can't quote it because I'm doing this from my phone... I literally just had a homeowner call me 5 minutes ago, all worked up about something they read on Nextdoor, called to report it to me (the HOA). It wasn't even a big deal but imagine if it was. Lol. Be advised busy bodies will read & report.

Back