Irvine boy killed crossing street

It appears the victim and their family were taken to Hoag Irvine by the driver.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/boy-741256-irvine-struck.html

I'm not sure on the accuracy of the OC Register story. They say the child was later transferred to Global Chapman hospital and died. That makes no sense because Global Chapman is NOT a trauma center. The KTLA web story says the child was transferred to CHOC which is a pediatric trauma center.

If you ever hit anyone with your car, call 911. Don't transport them to the nearest hospital. That is not always the right place to go. If the medics evaluated the child at the scene, they would have most likely transported this child directly to a trauma center and bypassed Hoag Irvine. This would save precious time.

YellowFever said:
iacrenter said:

I'm not sure on the accuracy of the OC Register story. They say the child was later transferred to Global Chapman hospital and died. That makes no sense because Global Chapman is NOT a trauma center. The KTLA web story says the child was transferred to CHOC which is a pediatric trauma center.

If you ever hit anyone with your car, call 911. Don't transport them to the nearest hospital. That is not always the right place to go. If the medics evaluated the child at the scene, they would have most likely transported this child directly to a trauma center and bypassed Hoag Irvine. This would save precious time.

Hoag Irvine to Chapman Global?  That's about 15 mins away with no traffic and more like 20 with some traffic.  Factor in internal bleeding, hemorrhaging, etc, this is a terrible distance to travel to keep him alive.  Looks like the boy/parents are mainlanders given his first and last name. 

This is quite shocking.  Does Irvine not have the facilities to service a 4 year old in serious trauma?  Why did they have to transport him all the way up to Orange?  Why not just take him to Lake Forest hospitals or even directly across to Kaiser and then get billed by Kaiser later (even though Kaiser is HMO).

Not all hospitals are equipped to handle major blunt or penetrating trauma; in fact most are not. There are staffing requirements regarding having certain physicians in the hospital 24/7 (ER, surgeon, anesthesiologist, etc.) and nurses to tend to these types of life-or-death injuries, as well as access to immediate CT scanning. When 911 is called and the first responders arrive and assess the extent of the injuries and mechanism, they will determine if the victim requires treatment at a trauma center or not. For instance, someone in a minor fender-bender might not even need to go the hospital at all. Some one who is injured but to a lesser extent might be taken to a local hospital with an ER but not necessarily a trauma center such as Kaiser or Hoag. If trauma center level care is required, the victim will be taken to one. In Orange County they are: UCI, Mission Hospital, Global Medical Center and CHOC.
I would definitely recommend calling 911 if there is a traffic-related accident (or any serious injury for that matter) for 2 reasons: 1) ensure that the victim is taken to a trauma center initially if it is warranted and 2) liability for transporting a critically injured individual should they not survive or have a life-long disability. Someone with a neck injury could end up quadriplegic if they are not moved on a backboard for example.  You don't want to be liable for that...

YellowFever said:
iacrenter said:

Hoag Irvine to Chapman Global?  That's about 15 mins away with no traffic and more like 20 with some traffic.  Factor in internal bleeding, hemorrhaging, etc, this is a terrible distance to travel to keep him alive.  Looks like the boy/parents are mainlanders given his first and last name. 

This is quite shocking.  Does Irvine not have the facilities to service a 4 year old in serious trauma?  Why did they have to transport him all the way up to Orange?  Why not just take him to Lake Forest hospitals or even directly across to Kaiser and then get billed by Kaiser later (even though Kaiser is HMO).

Orange County has a system of trauma centers which are required to have trauma teams at all times. It doesn't mean they are always open to accepting trauma patients (maybe they have too many patients in the ER, certain doctors are in the OR, etc) so sometimes they have to be "closed for traumas". UCI, Global, Mission and CHOC are the trauma centers. We used to have others but they removed themselves from the system because they weren't compensated enough and were losing money. Since then, I believe compensation was improved. If u happen to be in an accident far from a hospital you'll either have to go to non trauma or more likely be airlifted to one of the four trauma centers.

I'll bet both the driver and victim were foreigners and thought the best thing is to rush to a hospital. Maybe it wouldn't have changed the outcome but they shouldn't have done that. Paramedics can get to the scene quickly and start stabilizing the patient before they can get to a hospital which isn't even expecting the patient. The paramedics would have been on the horn to the receiving hospital so they know what to expect. If it was thought they needed an OR, it would have been completely ready to accept the patient or they would have had the expected trays they needed ready at the bedside in the ER along with the entire trauma team..... phlebotomist, xray tech, respiratory therapist, etc all waiting for that patient to arrive. Those people have regular patients they tend to during their shift and are paged to the ER when they know a trauma is coming. It would take time to get them there for a patient that arrives unexpectedly.

So sad to see this happened.

I find it hard for a parent to leave their kid dying on the asphalt waiting for an ambulance.

The boy later was taken to Chapman Global Medical Center in Orange, where he was pronounced dead at 9:20 p.m., according to the Orange County coroner?s office. Irvine police, however, say the boy was transported to Children?s Hospital of Orange County and succumbed to his injuries there.

?It?s a tragedy any time a child is killed in our city, we take it very seriously,? Mohr said. ?Detectives are working very hard on this case to bring it to a conclusion and our hearts go out to the family.?

Mohr did not have additional details about the accident or the driver.

?We certainly haven?t had that type of incident in that intersection that I?m aware of,? she said.

The street where the collision occured is between two recently developed, gated communities.

Pooja Rao, 30, who lives in the Laguna Altura community north of Lake Forest Drive with her husband and four-month-old child, said Sunday the gated community opened several years ago and is home to many young families and young children.

The other community is Hidden Canyon. While it wasn?t clear which community the boy?s family lived in, Rao was concerned.

?It?s a pretty kid-friendly community, there?s a lot of kids that run around,? Rao said of Laguna Altura. ?It?s an expensive area and just a ton of young kids, so this is devastating to hear that this happened.?

Contact the writer: 714-796-7762 or jkwong@ocregister.com or on Twitter: @JessicaGKwong

I posted in 2010 when Laguna Altura opened. It is shaped like a wok bottom where families will face calamity because of bad feng shui. Deadly chi will cause deadly accidents. Never live at the end of a fast speed road where 80mph must come to a stop at the intersection of the project entry.

Irvine's straight streets and speed contributed to 1,000 crashes including injuries and fatalities annually. This is alarmingly high. It's among the most dangerous in all of southern CA.

In order to facilitate high amount of traffic the roads must be wide and straight. During nighttime or non traffic hours the roads enticed the drivers to exceed the posted speed limit. New drivers with fancy sport cars are the most dangerous and we have too many of them in Irvine.

Here is a good example to compare 2 parallel roads. Sand Canyon and Ridge Valley. Sand Canyon speed during non rush hours is typically 50-60mph between traffic lights on long stretch of blocks. Ridge Valley with round abouts is a continuous non stoping road. The curvilinear nature of the road causes the drivers to slow down their speed to about 35mph. Because the road does not have signal lights or stop signs even with the slower speed residents still get home in PP sooner on this street vs driving at a higher speed on Sand Canyon.

Poor street planning between villages is the reason residents must use Jeffrey, San Canyon, Tranuco and Irvine Blvd. The streets inside villages either dead end or too cumbersome with too many turns or stop signs to connect between Woodbury, Stonegate and Eastwood.

This will not happen at the Greatpark where neighborhoods are connected via internal curvilinear streets. It's all about connectivity and safety for the residents.

I read recently there is a greatet risk of getting hurt in Irvine after factoring the vehicular accident statistic eventhough it's the FBI safest per capita based off a big city.

+1 Don't drive casualties to the hospital yourself.  You don't have lights/sirens to go through red lights, nobody's doing CPR, restraining the victim or applying pressure. Severe multiple trauma usually requires several disciplines and none will be aware of the impending arrival. You might save 5 or 10 minutes getting to the hospital (if you even get to the right one) but you'll easily lose that waiting for the trauma team and possibly Ortho, anesthesia, neuro/neurosurg etc.

YellowFever said:

i've worked at both hoag irvine and kaiser irvine.  neither are equipped to handle a serious trauma.  hoag irvine is only a 14 bed ER.  can't image the shock to the emergency staff when a critically injured 4 year old pulled up to the bay in a private vehicle.

as everyone else has said in this thread if you or anyone else is seriously injured in a car accident, call 911 and let the professionals do their job.  they know where to take you and what interventions you need to maximize your chances of survival. 

Absolutely gut-wrenching as a parent. They will never be able to forget this day as long as they live. Pray for them.

dethman said:
i've worked at both hoag irvine and kaiser irvine.  neither are equipped to handle a serious trauma.  hoag irvine is only a 14 bed ER.

Why aren't these hospitals able to handle a serious trauma? Isn't that what a hospital is for? Kaiser was just built so should be state of the art, Hoag just bought the Irvine hospital, so that should be upgraded too.

Weird.

irvinehomeowner said:
dethman said:
i've worked at both hoag irvine and kaiser irvine.  neither are equipped to handle a serious trauma.  hoag irvine is only a 14 bed ER.

Why aren't these hospitals able to handle a serious trauma? Isn't that what a hospital is for? Kaiser was just built so should be state of the art, Hoag just bought the Irvine hospital, so that should be upgraded too.

Weird.

Training, staffing, certification?, cost?

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
dethman said:

Weird.

Check out my reply earlier in the thread. Doesn't have anything to do with state-of-the art or newness...More with staffing, trauma physicians  who are typically surgeons of various specialties being in the hospital 24/7, specialty nursing, etc.

BruinDoc said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
dethman said:

Weird.

Check out my reply earlier in the thread. Doesn't have anything to do with state-of-the art or newness...More with staffing, trauma physicians  who are typically surgeons of various specialties being in the hospital 24/7, specialty nursing, etc.

which costs more to staff

I pass that intersection every day on the way to work, there are flowers there now, sad. 

I see they were put on the east/north bound side of Lake Forest Dr.  on the Hidden Canyon side of the road.  Alot of fast moving traffic at that intersection. 

Sorry to say but that road has alot of Lake Forest traffic, for an Irvine intersection.  Did that, as well as the language barrier, contribute to the poor idea of driving the boy to a faraway hospital?

Either way, it's sad all around.

Back