House address number

Irvinehomeseeker

Hey guys,

I am seeing new homes in eastwood. There is one that has not sold since last 2 phases and address has the number 124. I was wondering if the number 124 is something that some cultures not like or prefer? Thinking of resale value in future.

4 means death in some asian languages. Tetraphobia is alive and well in Irvine. It could impact the interest in your property for resale. Not a big deal in other areas, but Irvine happens to be saturated with a Asian buyers.

Thank You for this info.

I did come across some posts on number 4 phobia on TI , but was not very sure. With Irvine, I have to be aware of future resale with a huge Asian population here. Beliefs in cultures do matter.

124 sounds like 'definitely starve to death', so yea, there's a reason it hasn't sold.  Gotta drop that price or offer incentives.

Amazing how one can be valuable enough to society to amass obscene riches yet can't digest being associated with a number.

Some people care, some people don't. But, if you ask a chinese person (FOB or ABC), the majority will at least know that '4' is not a preferable number. If it's the perfect home, one of a kind, and you're in love - it probably doesn't matter. If you're already hesitant, best to avoid. 

If I remember correctly, TI folks have quite a bit of informal data that homes ending in 4 take longer to sell. This one was talked about not too long ago:https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/114-Long-Fence-92602/home/87555355.~300 days to sell and a $170k haircut.

TIC knows this.  Offer them $50k less than asking price and tell them you won't budge and you're doing them a favor for taking the death house out of their inventory.

I think that's dependent on the rate of sales. If they're selling quick, they couldn't give two shits about the 4. They know they'll get a non-asian buyer to bite eventually.

I actually had an honest conversation about this with the agents at Strada. One of their last homes for sale ends in a 4. They told me they haven't done any credits or price reductions on any sale, and they don't plan to. May not be true...but my family bought there and it certainly seems to be the case from speaking to neighbors. Of course, if it's completed and sitting there empty, they may have a change of heart. But, it's still dirt now.

This one is piedmont in Eastwood where sales are very good as I figure. The particular lot is about 3 lots away from the intersection. There are other lots available or more to come in later phases(although TIC is increasing 7k each phase), i may just wait and see.

124 doesn't seem too bad as far as feng shui goes. The existence of 4 is glaring, but house numbers with just 4 or 44 or the ones that total to a 4 are more scarier to the mainlanders.

acf said:
wow, so "22" or "31" would be considered a bad # as well?
Because they add up to 4?
I don't think it works that way.  Has to be the number 4.
Now if your address is 8, or 888, consider it a goldmine. Lol

acf said:

That doesn't work, or else 8 would be double death.

If the builders were really smart, they would just start all addresses with 8 and skip 4... 80, 81, 82, 83, 85, 86, 87, 88 (premium lot), 89, 800, 801 etc.

irvinehomeowner said:
acf said:

That doesn't work, or else 8 would be double death.

If the builders were really smart, they would just start all addresses with 8 and skip 4... 80, 81, 82, 83, 85, 86, 87, 88 (premium lot), 89, 800, 801 etc.

Correct, it's the number only that they care about. 4 is death, considered unlucky to have it in your telephone number or house number (even bank account number).  Lots of Chinese will spend extra time and money to get no 4's

8 like everyone is saying means wealth and money
6 is a good number, means luck or a good road
9 is a good number too.  It means length of time or everlasting.  Lots send 99 roses or during valentines or something like that
0 is like harmony or peace at heart
I'm sure there's many more, I just grew up learning these

So in terms of combos, gold mine is like 888 or 8 or 88
some others are 8899 or 89 which is like money and wealth everlasting
168 is a road straight to wealth, where as 164 is lol bad

But that's like the basics.  More number people will find those feng shui people and ask since some numbers even if the base numbers are good, their combinations may not be since it's highly based upon yin/yang being a good fit

AW said:
acf said:
Because they add up to 4?
I don't think it works that way.  Has to be the number 4.
Now if your address is 8, or 888, consider it a goldmine. Lol

Actually, there are some who believe that it's bad luck when you add the numbers and it equates to 4. I've had some clients who don't care about the #4 and they're Chinese, so not everyone believes in this stuff. I try not to believe in it. But being raised in a household where my father is a firm believer of feng shui, it's kind of hard to avoid.  ;D

jmoney74 said:
Is it on a T street?

How bad is "this" T street rule? Is it as bad as the "4"? Wondering why that Capella model 1 hasn't sold. It's right at the T intersection. Bridle path basically ends into it.
what are the worst feng shui faux pas to avoid. People in the current market in Irvine would probably want to know - whether they believe it or not obviously it will affect resale.

Paris said:
jmoney74 said:
Is it on a T street?

How bad is "this" T street rule? Is it as bad as the "4"? Wondering why that Capella model 1 hasn't sold. It's right at the T intersection. Bridle path basically ends into it.
what are the worst feng shui faux pas to avoid. People in the current market in Irvine would probably want to know - whether they believe it or not obviously it will affect resale.
The problem with Tstreets are it isn't just feng shui....it is the fact that every freaking car driving down the street is going to have its lights glare into my house.  I could care less if my number ended in a four and as long as the lot was nice, I wouldn't think twice with a home ending in a four (I also don't believe feng shui).  Now if I had multiple choices or something, all else being equal, I would pick the home with a lucky number.

My general rules are I would never buy a house with power lines visible (like a lot of the Columbus square homes or like ranch, etc) or a home on a t-intersection (unless the lot and house was so amazing unique that it was worth it...or the "t" was like a really small T where like 4 homes were ever going to glare their lights into my house).  I might consider a home that backed a street...not a Jamboree or Culver...though, price would have to be really fantastic and / or it would need unique property (nice lot, well done, etc). 

Paris said:
jmoney74 said:
Is it on a T street?

The T intersection thing is real. One of my good friends had trouble selling a model home that was on a T: several times on and off the market, and finally it sold. To whom? A caucasian family, even though most everyone who looked at it was Chinese. But I mean it was the model home and (obviously) was really  nice but for that darn T intersection...

Back