Author Topic: Water Filtration System  (Read 3486 times)

Offline bitmaster20

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 36
  • -Received: 24
Re: Water Filtration System
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 11:44:21 AM »
$1800 is a fabulous deal.  Salt system?  Fleck brand or other?
5 stage RO or 4 stage RO?
Clack valve. It is a salt system.

Most installation companies make a huge profit on these systems. The material cost is around $600-$800. For whatever reason, the water softener manufacturers make it really hard for the general public to buy the system outright themselves. If you can, then any experience plumber could install it for you. You would have to program it yourself although.

Offline lovingit

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 3
  • -Received: 13
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 12:19:37 PM »
Called a few places.  Some have Clack and others have Fleck.  I think Fleck has the newer touch screens.  Not sure about Clack.

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Realtor aka Realty King
  • Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 1717
  • -Received: 1383
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 10:43:15 PM »
I read this

http://watersoftenerguide.com/salt-based-vs-salt-free-water-softeners/

Most of my friends say salt system is better/newer.  What do you guys think?

Martin did you get a chloroquine backwash also (or did Anthony get upsold)? 

Anyone ever heard of www.nuviawater.com ?

I believe that I did...I got the salt water softener with the full filtration system for the IRWD water.  I like my system, I put 4 bags of 40lbs salt into it recently.

How often do you replace the salt?

I replaced it for the first time (11 months). 
Martin Mania
AgencyOne
CA BRE License # 01799007
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Often imitated....Never duplicated!

Offline lovingit

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2017, 01:23:43 PM »
Anyone find it necessary to pipe from RO to fridge just for the ice maker?  I don’t have cold water from the fridge.

Offline jmoney74

• Irvine dude
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 443
  • -Received: 341
  • HOA This!
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2017, 01:56:57 PM »
Anyone find it necessary to pipe from RO to fridge just for the ice maker?  I don’t have cold water from the fridge.

I guess depends on how much it will cost.  You have to change the filters on the ice maker.  With RO hookup, you can just bypass.

Offline lovingit

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2017, 02:50:44 PM »

I guess depends on how much it will cost.  You have to change the filters on the ice maker.  With RO hookup, you can just bypass.

$70

Offline irvineboy

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 4
  • -Received: 7
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 12:37:48 AM »
Do you guys know if for reverse osmosis system, they can install a faucet that gives both hot and cold water?  Or is it usually just room temperature water?

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 1872
  • -Received: 3321
  • 3CWG
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 07:01:42 AM »
I've been wondering about this, but how good are those fridge filters vs an under sink system? If it's not a RO system, isn't the fridge filtered water sufficient?

We usually buy our water for drinking (and our ice) and water we cook with we just get it from the tap (my naivete says boiling it will kill most of the bad stuff).

But it is convenient to get chilled water and ice from the fridge.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
www.loansbyjw.com

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 197
  • -Received: 465
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 08:39:24 AM »
I've been wondering about this, but how good are those fridge filters vs an under sink system? If it's not a RO system, isn't the fridge filtered water sufficient?

We usually buy our water for drinking (and our ice) and water we cook with we just get it from the tap (my naivete says boiling it will kill most of the bad stuff).

But it is convenient to get chilled water and ice from the fridge.

I use the fridge filter for my drinking water.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 08:43:00 AM »
@eyephone:

How often do you change it?

At first I thought those things were expensive because at retail stores they run $50 but on Amazon they are less than $10 each.
I recommend:
www.loansbyjw.com

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 197
  • -Received: 465
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 09:05:40 AM »
@eyephone:

How often do you change it?

At first I thought those things were expensive because at retail stores they run $50 but on Amazon they are less than $10 each.

I'm not quite sure the frequency, whenever the light comes up. (I believe every 3-4 months) Also, Home Depot sells "generic" filter replacements.

Thanks for the heads up. I will check Amazon.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 09:40:04 AM by eyephone »

Offline daedalus

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 124
  • -Received: 144
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 11:48:57 AM »
RO water is generally the best filter method for getting stuff out of the water.  In this country we don't usually have to worry about getting sick off the "wrigglys", but chlorine, lead, insecticides and maybe some TCE are a concern, and all of those are still there after boiling.  But RO filtration is so good at getting stuff out, it even gets out the good things, like minerals that your body needs.  This is also why RO water is "aggressive" and causes reactions that can leave spots or scale on some materials.  So read up on it, and maybe a daily multivitamin would help offset the reduction in minerals.

As far as using it in the fridge, check your fridge manual to see if there are any warnings against this.  2 concerns that come to mind are whether the materials in contact with the water are OK with purified water, and making sure the RO water pressure is high enough for the solenoid valve to work properly.  If both are OK then I think it's a pretty good decision to pipe it to the fridge rather than have 2 different filters at work.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 12:14:44 PM »
I'm not quite sure the frequency, whenever the light comes up. (I believe every 3-4 months) Also, Home Depot sells "generic" filter replacements.

Thanks for the heads up. I will check Amazon.

I guess it depends on usage. Not sure if the light on the fridges line up with actual usage or just time as I never used water out of our fridge but the light would turn red after a few months. Internet says you can tell by reduced flow of the water. I was looking at digital TDS and PH testers on Amazon to see if I can test the filtered and unfiltered water but not sure they work.

And yes, Home Depot has generics, but they are more expensive than Amazon, I think the cheapest at HD was 2 for $45.
I recommend:
www.loansbyjw.com

Offline irvineboy

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 4
  • -Received: 7
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2017, 03:15:41 PM »
RO water is generally the best filter method for getting stuff out of the water.  In this country we don't usually have to worry about getting sick off the "wrigglys", but chlorine, lead, insecticides and maybe some TCE are a concern, and all of those are still there after boiling.  But RO filtration is so good at getting stuff out, it even gets out the good things, like minerals that your body needs.  This is also why RO water is "aggressive" and causes reactions that can leave spots or scale on some materials.  So read up on it, and maybe a daily multivitamin would help offset the reduction in minerals.

As far as using it in the fridge, check your fridge manual to see if there are any warnings against this.  2 concerns that come to mind are whether the materials in contact with the water are OK with purified water, and making sure the RO water pressure is high enough for the solenoid valve to work properly.  If both are OK then I think it's a pretty good decision to pipe it to the fridge rather than have 2 different filters at work.

At first they were concerned that the psi levels aren’t the same for the reverse osmosis which is 10 psi and the fridge which is 30 psi.  But after asking the technician, it’s ok to pipe the RO to the fridge, the result will be a slower ice maker.

A lot of these water companies sell an extra filter to reduce chloramine.  It ranges from $250 for this activated carbon filter.  You have to change it out every two years.  Some say if you don’t drink the water while you are showering then you don’t need it and it’s a waste of money. 

Offline daedalus

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 124
  • -Received: 144
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2017, 05:34:05 PM »
I'm measured my RO system at 35psi, which is right around what my fridge needs.  Of course you can pump air into the tank to to raise it a bit, but I wouldn't take a chance on interfering with the filtering.  The risk of having pressure too low is that it won't be strong enough to counteract the spring in the solenoid to allow water to flow when it needs to.  Every icemaker I've had relied on a timer to fill the ice tray, so pressure [flow rate] is already controlled (regulated from the value required to open the solenoid, unless a separate pump is involved).  It takes ~5-10 seconds to fill the tray and an hour or more to freeze the cubes so I don't think "slower ice maker" is a valid concern.  Where did this technician work?

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts