After Yahoo's biggest breach, realtors and loan officers still use @yahoo email

I would argue that having a private server might be more risky than using a top tier web based email service. Unless you employee a full time IT staff or outsource it to a reputable company, your ability to protect the server will be compromised.

The bigger problem is that people forget the basic rules about email. It is NOT a secure form of communication. Unless you are using end to end encryption, forget about it.

I've seen  many "small "r" realtors" spike offers to purchase if they don't get unredacted bank statements, pay stubs, full credit reports or AUS reports on demand, sent to yahoo / AOL etc accounts. Customer information protection isn't a priority within their sales environment. It may be due to the fragmented nature of the job. Big companies have to worry about info security. Franchises? Not so much.

For security reasons, my employer won't let us send Non Public Information - NPI - unencrypted, cloud services (easily hacked) or thumb drives (malware). Faxing /FedEx or hand pick up is recommended. Used to think these policies were a bit paranoid, but in todays world not so much.

Yahoo waiting 3yrs to disclose hack is the worst piece of the story IMHO.

I do a lot of work in the financial industry and this is something that drives me crazy.  Worst is the ones with @aol.com. 

If you want to look professional and established, get a custom domain.  You don't need to run your own mail server or anything, but show that you are making some effort by getting a custom domain.

You are a financial advisor and want me to trust you with important information and you are using an aol account?  I wonder what FINRA has to say about that.

An accountant gave me a dropbox link to put some files, I got to the link and see other peoples files.  WTF.  Nope, not going to put my shit there.  Time to look for another accountant.

Obama passed some DOL rules/laws that take effect around April.  These new rules will open the doors for many lawsuits for Financial Advisors.  They anticipate 18 billion dollars in fines and a lot more in lawsuits.

People who deal with financial data will be required to look out for the customers best interests.  Much of the new rules are subjective.  They range from security to protocol to pricing.

spootieho said:
An accountant gave me a dropbox link to put some files, I got to the link and see other peoples files.  WTF.  Nope, not going to put my shit there.  Time to look for another accountant.

Why don't you do your own taxes using tax software?

eyephone said:
spootieho said:

Why don't you do your own taxes using tax software?
I probably could, but it's a lot of work.  We have our own corp and file business taxes too.

This is an old topic but seems always good practice to bring it up with all the continued hacks that go on.

Protonmail is an excellent choice, very high security with end to end encryption and based in Switzerland. Same security as Gmail without the over-marketing/spying that Google likes to do. Founded by CERN scientists with a focus on privacy.

Also please delete your clients' sensitive documents (email attachments) once you have processed them. That includes the Send/Outbox as well.

Also would be nice if TalkIrvine would upgrade the forums as all of our usernames and passwords are being sent in clear text since it's not using HTTPS. Please use a username and password here that you wouldn't mind someone else getting ahold of.

Back