new consturction flooring upgrade

Irvine Seeker

Folks, Our new construction home will come with the basic tile and carpet.  We are planning to replace them with laminate or engineering wood flooring.  I would like to get some feedback from the folks who've done this way.

1) The kitchen extends to the dining room and will have basic travertine tiles with the carpet in the living room.  it's a long rectangular great room setting with the living on the other side.  Any pros and cons on having wood flooring in the kitchen instead of tiles?  Would you take all tiles out or just dining area and keep the tiles in the kitchen?  Keeping tiles will save me some money but with 2/3 is tile and 1/3 is carpet, just having wooden floor in the living room only may look little odd...

2) Got a couple of estimates.  A well known with good review company's rough estimate was about $25k with 5 day working.  Another smaller company through friends' referral (they got the flooring done and are happy with) is more reasonable for about $14k with 3 day working.  For a 2000 sq ft, brand new, empty house, is 3 day long enough or 5 day is too long?  Thank you.

Everyone will have a different opinion, but I would keep the same flooring in the entire downstairs personally.  Obviously this means either all tile or all wood since you won't want carpet in the kitchen.  I think this makes the layout look bigger / continuous, and also looks more elegant and less pieced together. 

I have done wood in the kitchen before and probably won't do it again.  People will say don't do it since it's a wet area, but that honestly isn't such a big deal if you're careful about it and don't leave puddles of water sitting there.  Plus you'll probably put a floormat or runner by the sink that will catch those splashes. 

The biggest issue for us was everything we dropped in the kitchen, and we're pretty careful.  Think about it you're getting things out of the fridge and pantry every day.  Cans, Jars, Knives, etc.  Eventually you'll drop some of these and they will dent or scar the wood floor.  Sure you can use the pen to cover it up but it's not perfect and you'll know it's there, plus some dents will be bigger than others and more difficult to cover.

I would pick a nice travertine (with a small grout joint) and put it throughout the downstairs.  Tile is pretty bulletproof with spills and drops.  Other option if you were going to use dark wood is to get a dark wood look tile throughout.

Things we considered while redoing our floors:

- How long do you want the floors to last?

- Are you worried about potential water damage in the kitchen?

We went with tile in the kitchen and wood everywhere else. Demo took about a day but we had to do some epoxy cover on the ground floor as we were mounting on the slab. That process took about 2 days for it to fully cure. We ended up doing a floating installation that took about 2 days to finish (and they were moving fast).

Our choice was bamboo with cork underlayment.

We did the same thing that we had done in our prior home: tile in the kitchen and hardwood in the great room. We went with a darker hardwood and picked a lighter tile for the kitchen area. We found that the lighter tile worked really well in the kitchen with our darker cabinets; the hardwood we used in the great room would have been far too dark. The contrast with the lighter tile is quite eye-catching. We felt tile in the great room would be too cold and sterile. I wouldn't do hardwood in the kitchen, heard too many horror stories (water damage, dents, dings, scratches, dropped pans, etc.).

BruinDoc said:
We did the same thing that we had done in our prior home: tile in the kitchen and hardwood in the great room. We went with a darker hardwood and picked a lighter tile for the kitchen area. We found that the lighter tile worked really well in the kitchen with our darker cabinets; the hardwood we used in the great room would have been far too dark. The contrast with the lighter tile is quite eye-catching. We felt tile in the great room would be too cold and sterile. I wouldn't do hardwood in the kitchen, heard too many horror stories (water damage, dents, dings, scratches, dropped pans, etc.).

Yeah but if you have an open floor plan like most homes these days.. one floor just seems to flow better.  You can try to do that wood tile look.. but it's much colder and can still see grout lines. 

Granted, and even the design center rep tried to talk us out of it.  We struggled for a while with the decision, but we liked it on our prior home and we love it now. There are arguments to be made depending on whether you are more concerned with form or function, but we felt like we won on both accounts.

I had a recent leak out of my garbage disposal drain pipe. I was relieved that I was only dealing with a tile floor.

Hardwood in the kitchen will make you paranoid, if not, batty, is my experience.  Any time you touch any of the plumbing items, you will have to double and quadruple check it, it's so easy to make a costly mistake.

Guy with wood floor in nearly the entire downstairs checking here.  I enjoy looking at it and it feels neutral temperature on bare feet. 

Ya I'm a little more cautious with water, spills, and drops, but accidents happen and things break.  Wood dents easier than tile and is more prone to water damage.  Tile cracks and feels colder than wood on bare feet.  Whatever accident happens (and they will happen no matter what kind of floor), it's not the end of the world.  It can be fixed.  18 months in and all I have to show is a dent in an area no one but me notices.  There's no kids in this house btw.  That might change my opinion.

If I could do it again I would have coughed up a few more grand for *real* hardwood, not engineered hardwood.  Calling the engineered stuff "tofu board" isn't far from the truth.

To address the original question

Irvine Seeker said:
1) The kitchen extends to the dining room and will have basic travertine tiles with the carpet in the living room.  it's a long rectangular great room setting with the living on the other side.  Any pros and cons on having wood flooring in the kitchen instead of tiles?  Would you take all tiles out or just dining area and keep the tiles in the kitchen?  Keeping tiles will save me some money but with 2/3 is tile and 1/3 is carpet, just having wooden floor in the living room only may look little odd...

You have some useful responses already.  To echo some of them, I think the choice to split or not to split the great room flooring (aka kitchen/dinning/living room) comes down to personal preference.  Model homes these days seem to have kitchen/dining/great room setups with all the same flooring.  It makes the room feel continuous/larger/common space-y I think.  But like you said, leaving the tiles will save you some money.  But then again, you might need to sell the house one day and that kitchen / great room area will be one of the first things the buyer sees.

You're seeing the carpet/tile split as the standard option because (a) carpet is the absolute cheapest option the builder can sell the house with and (b) the builder claims they are not allowed to sell a house with carpet in 'wet' areas, so they put tile there.  I don't think it's a design choice, but I'm the wrong person to ask about good flooring design :)

Irvine Seeker said:
2) Got a couple of estimates.  A well known with good review company's rough estimate was about $25k with 5 day working.  Another smaller company through friends' referral (they got the flooring done and are happy with) is more reasonable for about $14k with 3 day working.  For a 2000 sq ft, brand new, empty house, is 3 day long enough or 5 day is too long?  Thank you.

Honestly the best advice I've heard from people who do contracting for a living is "get three estimates, take the one in the middle".  Also, try considering the cost on a price per square foot basis (project cost / sqft).  Do some googling of "how much should it cost to install xxxx" for some rough comparisons. 

I don't know at all what you're buying or estimating based on, but my mid/upper range engineered wood and glue was about $6.5/sqft from State College Distributors.  I demolished and disposed with a friend (would not recommend, it's exhausting and dirty).  Trim material and labor for final prep and install by SC Flooring Services (good guys, 8 out of 10, would recommend) was about $5/sqft, painting and supplies (friend) was about $0.50/sqft.

I think anywhere from $6 to $10 /sqft is in the range for the cost of labor including demo, disposal, install, trim, and misc supplies (glue/thinset). Kind of a wide range right?  Don't hang your hat on those numbers, just a guess there.

It's pretty normal for a contractor to mark up materials for the service of purchase & delivery.  You can buy the materials direct (there are many outlets in Anaheim on state college blvd), but you'll have to do your homework and have a contractor willing to communicate and ensure the two of you bring all correct materials to the job site on time.

You may want to

1) Confirm EXACTLY what the estimates include.  How many people will be working? does it include demolishing? disposal? flattening? materials? installing the trim? painting the trim? touching up any other damage they do while they're working? 
2) Ask them for proof of insurance.  Some contractors can offer lower prices b/c they neglect to insure their workers or their general liability.
3) Look them up via their contractor license number to see if there's any issues.
4) Ask them for a referral who you can contact about their work and/or ask to see some pictures of their prior work.  If you speak with the referral ask if they've had to come back for any repairs and understand what those repairs were.  Try to get a feel for how detailed their work was if that's important to you.  If you haven't already, look very closely at the work the cheap option did for your friend.  How is the finishing?  Is the floor flat?  High spots? Low spots?  Does it creek?  Bend? Are there excessive amounts of loud/echo-y areas (if you knock on it)?

As far as time line goes, maybe they can get it done in 3 days with extra help on the demolishing/disposal, 2-4 fantastic guys to prep and lay the wood/tile, and the fastest drying glue/thinset (can't walk on the floors for at least a day as they dry) so the finishers (trim, paint) can do their thing asap.  3 days seems like best case scenario.  5 days gives a reasonable cushion for unanticipated delays and good detailed work, but it really shouldn't take any longer than 5 days with the right labor and planning.

For reference, my demolishing took an unreasonable amount of time, level compound took a day to dry, floor and stair install took three days (or was it 2? I forget), paint took a half day.  Flooring installer came back once to repair a high spot.

If you're curious at all about what the contractors will likely do

1) Bust the tile with a sledge/jack/regular hammer and scrape the concrete glue (called "thinset") off the slab.  The speed this can be done depends on how the tile was installed.  Maybe they used too much thinset like mine and it takes extra effort to scrape it off.  You don't really know until you start.
2) Remove the carpet, pad, tack strips, and scrape the glue off the slab
3) Dispose of the thousand or so pounds of concrete/carpet/thinset/etc
4) *Maybe*  Again, don't know if this is necessary until all the carpet/tile is off.  Make sure they check the hard surface manufacturer's recommendation for minimum flatness and check your slab.  Flatten the slab to spec where the carpet used to be.  The slab in this area likely has peaks and valleys out of spec for hard surface install.  This is a pretty normal thing.  The builder doesn't need to flatten the slab under carpet to the same degree they need to under the tile.  The contractor can use leveling compound to fill the valleys (easy, cheap, gets the job done, but needs 24 hours minimum to dry) and/or use a machine to scrape the high spots (no drying time, but this machinery is expensive, and makes a lot of dust).
5) Lay down the hard surface & glue. Wood can go pretty quick.  Tile might go slower, depending on how close the grout lines are.
6) Depending on whether the workers demolished/removed the baseboards or not, install new baseboards or install trim to cover the gap between the new flooring and old baseboards.
7) Mask and paint the new trim/baseboards
8 ) Clean thoroughly, touch up any misc issues

Good luck!

I'm getting estimates in now.  One contractor mentioned about water damages on flooring.  Tiles and laminate/engineered wood have obviously good and bad but if it's significant amount of water flooding, wooden floor tend to hold the water and damage mostly the flooring.  Tiles will let the water flow over and can damage cabinetry, appliances, furniture and other non tile flooring anyway.  Of course this is a significant incident and one may have to use the insurance anyway but "normal" dripping in the kitchen flooring should be accepted and maintained accordingly.

Also it's not just water but different foods, oil, and cooking stuff that can also stain tiles or grout unless sealing was perfectly done and maintained regularly. 

Thank you very much all of your comments and feedback.  We are deciding to go with laminate flooring (AC3 and CARB-2 I guess) instead of engineered wood mainly for cost and installation time, but also surprisingly, look and feel of laminate are not that much different from engineered wood (at least to my untrained eyes).  Also we have sport playing teenagers and their friends coming over frequently.

Laminate vs. Engineered Floor vs. Real Wood.  Pro's vs. Con's?  Good sight / areas people have found from a research perspective?  I only ask because lately as I've looked at some flooring options, a lot of people have really been touting laminate and it kind of surprised me.  I have engineered in my current place and was planning on doing again in new place. 

Bullsback said:
Laminate vs. Engineered Floor vs. Real Wood.  Pro's vs. Con's?  Good sight / areas people have found from a research perspective?  I only ask because lately as I've looked at some flooring options, a lot of people have really been touting laminate and it kind of surprised me.  I have engineered in my current place and was planning on doing again in new place.

Vinyl is coming back too ... We got a ton of samples and checked how easy they scratch or get dented. Narrowed it down by looks and hardness that was acceptable to us. Everyone has different priorities so there's no one answer over which one will work best for you.

I'm sure engineered woods and solid woods are expensive for reasons and have their benefits.  Since I don't have a lot of money to put on the flooring, it was pretty obvious choice to go with laminate with just financial reason alone. 

From the least expensive place, I got $3 per sq ft installed for laminate vs ~$6 for engineered wood so for 2000 sq ft covering, that's $6k or more and longer installation for sure.  Solid woods would be even more than that. I'm, however, pleasantly surprised that laminate flooring came a long way since even from 10 to 15 years ago.

Just went to Lowes the other day and their flooring and kitchen display area had a light grey laminate looking flooring...  It turned out that it was vinyl...  Obviously I didn't get down to feel it with my hand or bare feet or anything but it fooled me from standing up looking down...

Irvine Seeker said:
I'm sure engineered woods and solid woods are expensive for reasons and have their benefits.  Since I don't have a lot of money to put on the flooring, it was pretty obvious choice to go with laminate with just financial reason alone. 

From the least expensive place, I got $3 per sq ft installed for laminate vs ~$6 for engineered wood so for 2000 sq ft covering, that's $6k or more and longer installation for sure.  Solid woods would be even more than that. I'm, however, pleasantly surprised that laminate flooring came a long way since even from 10 to 15 years ago.

Just went to Lowes the other day and their flooring and kitchen display area had a light grey laminate looking flooring...  It turned out that it was vinyl...  Obviously I didn't get down to feel it with my hand or bare feet or anything but it fooled me from standing up looking down...
I actually am referring to people pushing Laminate and Vinyl over engineered wood, basically saying it is as good if not better (and these are places who sell both so they really don't have much incentive to push me towards the cheaper stuff).  The general gist they've given me was that the looks are identical with the laminate / vinyl being much much more durable (and obviously cheaper). 

Many restaurants (Urban Plates/Tender Greens), stores, medical offices are doing the wood vinyl and it looks pretty good... but for a business.

If we lived in a condo or were doing a rental, we would probably go with that new vinyl but for our own home, it's either engineered wood or tile. I wouldn't mind laminate that much as long as it didn't have the hollow sound issue (drop your keys on a laminate floor to get my gist) but the Mrs. only wants "natural" material. Even for tile we would probably go travertine to reduce grout lines.

Anyone try covering the carpeted part of the 1st floor with the same tiles that come standard for the kitchen? Is that possible with a contractor? I suppose one challenge is finding the exact same tiles the builder used.

suppertime said:
Anyone try covering the carpeted part of the 1st floor with the same tiles that come standard for the kitchen? Is that possible with a contractor? I suppose one challenge is finding the exact same tiles the builder used.

the builder can probably tell you what those exact tiles are and where to get them to match. That's much easier than breaking up that tile after COE - that was such a pain in the *ss.

That's like throwing good money after bad... Those tiles are probably 12" of ugly that you don't want in your entire downstairs.

Back