Appliances

irvine6789

We are about to start looking for appliances (counter depth refrigerator and washer/dryer).

Please advise if you suggest any particular brands / models.

Also pretty much all the stores do price match. Any advantages of buying it in particular store when it comes to warranty? Bestbuy / Lowes / Homedepot / Frys

Thanks for your help.

We got ours during a 4th of July sale from Best Buy. Why?

1. 10% off movers coupon (get it from USPS, change of addres)
2. Instore promo going on cutting off hundreds of dollars
3. signing up for the best buy credit card getting us another 10% rewards back first purchase

All in all, in was tons of $ off and we used the rewards back to buy a tv that was on sale and included a soundbar system.

We went with all samsung. But their top load washers are going through a recall right now so you might have to reconsider if looking for a top load.

I heard samsung topload washing machines are going for cheap...free even.
Just don't run it on high spin...it'll blow the lid off.

We were having a washing machine serviced at our rental. The repairman recommended Electrolux first, Whirlpool second. I did some research and Electrolux seems to be the clear winner (Consumer Reports, buyer feedback, etc.). He specifically also said that the Korean makes (LG, Samsung) are unreliable and he would not recommend them. This was a few months ago, well before Samsung's recent issues...

We always found good deals at Sears Outlet.  Sometimes you can find near perfect appliances at a fraction of the original cost.

Avoid GE and recommend the Samsung and LG for reliability for fridges.

My mom's repair guy and so does this one:
http://applianceassistant.com/New-Appliances/Most-Reliable-Washing-Machines.php

and this one:
http://www.allbrandservicenaperville.com/products-washer.html

says the best machines are made by Speed Queen which is the brand used in laundromats. They are the only machines without motherboards. The washer is the only one with a heavy duty metal inner and outer tub that is supposed to prevent it from shaking in the spin cycle.

The machines look like my old one with just basic controls. They also sell a front loader but I think that has a motherboard and I didn't want a motherboard. Not sure about the reliability of their front loaders. That doesn't mean they are inexpensive.

My old machines were GE and lasted me several moves and 25 years without one single repair. I left them when we moved (cheapo buyers wanted them and I figured it was time for a new set). Only after I moved did I read reviews of new machines and regretted my decision to leave them so we bought speed queens from Howards. They wash and dry perfectly and really quiet. Our units are downstairs so I can't comment on how they sound upstairs. The only downside is the dryer has no off buzzer (and no option to get one).

Thank you for sharing the details. Does the extra warranty worth it? manufacturer is providing 2 years of warranty. For additional 3 years, Bestbuy charges almost 500$ towards Geek squad warranty for refrigerator, washer and dryer.

irvine6789 said:
Does the extra warranty worth it?
Usually no.  Sometimes yes.  The goal is to make money off of those warranties, so odds aren't in your favor.  It helps with peace of mind, however.

I've been happy with my Samsung counter-depth fridge and front loading dryer/washer for the past 5 years. Last month, my parents remodeled their home and I got them brand new Samsung appliances (fridge, slide-in range and dishwasher).

I wanted to buy from Lowe's because they have 10% off coupons easily found online and I've read good things about their fairly-priced 5 year extended warranties. However, I ended up buying online because www.AppliancesConnection.com's prices were so much cheaper (plus I didnt have to pay tax, but their extended warranty isnt good).

I've been buying my appliances online from this retailer...
http://www.us-appliance.com/

They have lower prices than anyone else and there's no sales tax plus free shipping if you buy over $1k worth of appliances the shipping is free.  The one downside with them is that it takes 3-4 weeks to get the appliances.

I just bought a range from ABT.com.  free ship, no tax, and they price matched USappliance, which had a $200 lower price on their website.

freedomcm said:
I just bought a range from ABT.com.  free ship, no tax, and they price matched USappliance, which had a $200 lower price on their website.

If you need an installer, I'd recommend PDQ Appliance Installers (https://www.yelp.com/biz/pdq-appliance-installers-anaheim-3). I used them a couple times in 2014 (after I bought appliances online) and they did a fantastic job.

I did the installation, not too hard.

My wife promised to do some backsplash action, but so far no go...can't get good help these days...

Lowes or HD.. free installation and delivery.  Their warranty plans are pretty good too.  I got LG washer/dryer and have been happy with that. 

hah, the lowest or hd "sale" price for the range that I just purchased was $2550 plus tax plus $75 for an electrical cord for their "free" installation.  ABT was $2025, no tax, $23 cord, free delivery.  net savings ~$750.

I've been looking for a refrigerator and the one I'm interested in is about $2300 from all websites mentioned including home depot. but I found from Amazon.com that it's $400 cheaper with free shipping and no tax but shipped from NY to CA.  Would you buy these big appliance from Amazon sellers?

Irvine Seeker said:
I've been looking for a refrigerator and the one I'm interested in is about $2300 from all websites mentioned including home depot. but I found from Amazon.com that it's $400 cheaper with free shipping and no tax but shipped from NY to CA.  Would you buy these big appliance from Amazon sellers?

Do you know if Amazon ships to door or will they bring up stairs and fit it in for you?  I've only had experience with home depot and pacific sales.  Both installed/up stairs and took back any existing refrigerator. 

Irvine Seeker said:

I would buy from Lowes or HD. 

Irvine Seeker said:
Be careful with some of these deal sites, some offer free shipping, but make sure it's not "curbside", otherwise they'd just drop it off and leave.

Hd, lowes, sears, Costco, pacific sales, etc, should also install too

Back