Plans to replace Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre next to Great Park

Rather see it at the old RV park off of Sand Canyon. Less noise impact to home owners. Cypress Village would hear some noise, but if it's built right it would be less noisy than the 5 Freeway.

How about next to Portola HS? This way the noise won't impact residents at night, school is obviously not in academic mode at this time, the parking lot can be shared for large events and student parking, and it's a great venue for graduation for the class of 2020.

Kangen.Irvine said:
How about next to Portola HS? This way the noise won't impact residents at night, school is obviously not in academic mode at this time, the parking lot can be shared for large events and student parking, and it's a great venue for graduation for the class of 2020.

Can you imagine going to the funeral of a service man or woman who died in combat and hearing a Britney Spears concert loud and clear less than a mile away.

Until the cemetery is squashed, they won't put the amphitheater there.

It's a disappointing that the new proposed amphitheater will be quite a bit smaller. Irvine Meadows has capacity for 16,000 (not sure if that includes the lawn section) while the new venue will only be 12,000. It doesn't make sense given that Irvine and OC has boomed in population since Meadows was built. It should be way bigger, not smaller. This also means ticket prices will go up, if you can get them at all.

The added population is not the consumer profile who would likely purchase a ticket to see an event there. However they would go see their favorite foreigner performing at Pechanga,

eatthis said:
It's a disappointing that the new proposed amphitheater will be quite a bit smaller. Irvine Meadows has capacity for 16,000 (not sure if that includes the lawn section) while the new venue will only be 12,000. It doesn't make sense given that Irvine and OC has boomed in population since Meadows was built. It should be way bigger, not smaller. This also means ticket prices will go up, if you can get them at all.

eatthis said:
The 12,000-seat facility is the temporary solution. It says that in the article. It's going to be licensed for three years until a permanent amphitheater is constructed in the Cultural Terrace.

Villager said:
The 12,000-seat facility is the temporary solution. It says that in the article. It's going to be licensed for three years until a permanent amphitheater is constructed in the Cultural Terrace.

I hope that's the case. But, I heard the permanent amphitheater will be similar size to the temp one. That would be very disappointing.

irvinehomeshopper said:
The added population is not the consumer profile who would likely purchase a ticket to see an event there. However they would go see their favorite foreigner performing at Pechanga,

Well, Irvine Meadows certainly serves more than just Irvine. The audience at the concert I went to definitely did not reflect the demographics of Irvine. It might have been the single whitest gathering in Irvine from my recent recollection.  :)

Like Dodger Stadium near Chinatown or the Hat at the corner of Valley Blvd and Garfield Ave in Alhambra or the Hat on Atlantic Blvd in Monterey Park. All smack right in the heart of Chinese communities with all non Chinese patrons. I think the Greatpark will have a diverse population than other parts of Irvine.

eatthis said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

Well, Irvine Meadows certainly serves more than just Irvine. The audience at the concert I went to definitely did not reflect the demographics of Irvine. It might have been the single whitest gathering in Irvine from my recent recollection.  :)
Jimmy Buffet? 

Bullsback said:
Jimmy Buffet?

Are you saying Jimmy Buffet is not a FCB magnet? ;D

This was Duran Duran. I really expected a much more diverse audience for such a big name group. It was only marginally more so than Bryan Adams concert I went to a few months earlier. They both killed it. Great concerts. I'm going to miss Irvine Meadows. Let's hope the big acts keep coming.

eatthis said:
Bullsback said:
Jimmy Buffet?

Are you saying Jimmy Buffet is not a FCB magnet? ;D

This was Duran Duran. I really expected a much more diverse audience for such a big name group. It was only marginally more so than Bryan Adams concert I went to a few months earlier. They both killed it. Great concerts. I'm going to miss Irvine Meadows. Let's hope the big acts keep coming.

I don't know if Duran Duran is a big act.  If so, when are the Thomson Twins coming to town?

Back