Baker Ranch New Elementary School, who wants in?

Etinchen

Residents at Baker Ranch,

Please add to this post if you want your child to attend a modern school that is not overcrowded and with the best resources. A school within the Baker Ranch community of Lake Forest.

Share ideas on what can be done to start this initiative. Perhaps get names of the school board, pass our flyers, or attend board meetings.

Reach out to other residents, the money is already there from the builder. Make it happen, voices need to be heard.

Keep in mind there is a SVUSD School Board election with three (majority) spots available. There will be a candidate forum later this month with the following options seen as the most student minded.

-Wong
-Johnson
-Swartz

An elementary school would be best, but at least consider aligning Baker Ranch students so they will attend the same schools as their friends K-12, which currently is not the case as they enter the seventh grade.

Kangen.Irvine said:
Keep in mind there is a SVUSD School Board election with three (majority) spots available. There will be a candidate forum later this month with the following options seen as the most student minded.

-Wong
-Johnson
-Swartz

An elementary school would be best, but at least consider aligning Baker Ranch students so they will attend the same schools as their friends K-12, which currently is not the case as they enter the seventh grade.

School can not be built without funds. No Mello bonds, little chance for tractions.

Did you consider this when you decided to live in Baker ranch with no school funds nor bonds.

Also this doesn't belong in the irvine real estate forum.

One of my first posts about Baker Ranch was about the wisdom of dropping 800+ homes in an established area with ZERO new schools. Now we know....

First, as a planned comunity, you can't build a school this deep into the build out. My apologies in advance if there has been a zoning or design change since BR was originally introduced. I'm not aware of any changes at the present moment.

Second, by the time you win this battle, won't only your grandchildren be able to attend a new BR area school?

Third, the builder doesn't have the money, neither does the district, to set aside land and build a school. Does the Master Planner (Shea) or the community really have school funds set aside or are they park funds to be re-directed?

The best bet here is to offer 10x the land value for the nursery between Bake and Lake Forest or to buy out the Mercedes dealership and try to put something in there. Your alternatives to building are to try and switch schools to lower enrollment locations like Melinda Heights Elementary.

Good luck with the push forward here. It's going to take a boatload of it to get something done within this present generation.

Well it could be worse.

Look at Columbus Square and Tustin Legacy, all those MRs for years and are now just getting their Elem.

irvinehomeowner said:
Well it could be worse.

Look at Columbus Square and Tustin Legacy, all those MRs for years and are now just getting their Elem.

Same story for Portola Springs Elementary School.

Personally, I'm fine with Baker Ranch not having its own elementary School.  It's currently zoned to FootHill Ranch Elementary which several sites have given a 9/10 School...the highschool (El Toro) I agree isn't as good as Trabuco or any of the Irvine ones, but it's still above average) If I was given a choice, I would pick no MR over having schools in Baker Ranch.  I knew all of that coming into my decision and having no MR (even at the cost of no schools) outweighed all the other newer communities in Irvine

Everyone is right cost wise.  The builder pre paid those MR...we don't have any extra school funds currently and I doubt the builder would pay for a school out of their own pockets after paying the MR's

As a realist, if you want this to happen, you would have to do this the Irvine Unified School district way, introduce a measure E bond that essentially adds additional tax for residents of BR.  They were able to raise $319 million in funding for schools paid by residents within those school zones for the next few decades.  I'm not sure how much it costs to build a school but that cost would be shared throughout all homeowners there ( I would assume if your house value is more, you pay more...similar to measure E) and put it to a vote.  I would personally vote against it. 

Any truth to the builders prepaying fees to the District, which would give homeowners an argument for a local school? Or is it basically too bad, we already have your money and a renovated District Office.

Kangen.Irvine said:
Any truth to the builders prepaying fees to the District, which would give homeowners an argument for a local school? Or is it basically too bad, we already have your money and a renovated District Office.

I'm not sure but given there was never a new elementary school planned for BR the builder would have likely paid costs for only infrastructure development for the community.  SVUSD actually argued a new school was not needed so I doubt toll and Shea would have offered up an extra  $15M to the district for a school that was never meant to be built.  Just my assumptions though.

Kangen.Irvine said:
I'm not too familiar with developer fees, but this link might be useful to anyone who is trying to figure out if they paid fees to support schools within the BR area.
http://svwp.svusd.org/?page_id=4038

Serious question, if we were able to get effort support and use funds (I haven't done any research) for a BR school, where would it be located?  One side of baker ranch is already almost fully built and the other side seems like they already have the plans set for future home development.  I'm not seeing another area to build unless they buy additional land somewhere near.  The Goddard school/starbucks plaza would've been good but that's gone. 

why does Baker Ranch keep sneaking into the irvine section?
It's like they want to be in Irvine or something...
If you wanted to be in Irvine you would have bought in Irvine.

Go back to the Orange County section of this board where you belong.

Back