Grout Seal for new home DIY vs with builders

SweetMiss

Hi,

We just reserved a new home and builder is charging 800 odd $ for grout seal.

Do you think it is reasonable?

It is 1542 sq feet home.

I read online like it can be easily DIY project.

what do you guys think?

Thanks

SweetMiss said:
Hi,

We just reserved a new home and builder is charging 800 odd $ for grout seal.

Do you think it is reasonable?

It is 1542 sq feet home.

I read online like it can be easily DIY project.

what do you guys think?

Thanks

Try to negotiate with them.  Otherwise, it is an easy DIY.

Do they give any warranty?  If they give you 1 yr warranty on the sealant, pay them then have them come back twice and redo it, since surely there will be some staining (even with sealant) every 4-5 months.

super easy to do yourself.
I would suggest getting large format tiles to minimize the amount of grout lines (looks more up to date anyway)
You can do it after close of escrow and before moving in.

It is a laborious DIY but definitely within the average person's capability.  I am about to undertake this tonight and tomorrow.  Not looking forward to it, but better than paying 800 for someone to spread invisible stuff on your tile grout  8)

Agree.  Also, use a good quality sealer and the product will last a lot longer.  I've been using Dupont's Bulletproof with long lasting results, even on a shower floor that gets water daily.  Don't let the $50 price scare you.  It will last much longer than the products on Home Depot's and Lowe's shelves, which tend to be watered down versions of what the pros use. 

I used standard dupont sealer on my last shower, mixed results.  I went with standard miracle sealents for my current shower tiles , hope to see a difference.

I also bought the dupont sealer for my downstairs tile as it had the best reviews, but grout stained within 6 months of application.  Guess there's no perfect solution for this.

Don't bother  sealing. The grout will just get dirty anyway. We got tired of dirty grout and switched to wood floors

I don't know if it's attributable to the grout sealer, but the grout around the toilets and the entry , which were regularly mopped, stayed clean.  It was in the shower where the grout sealer may not have had as much impact. 

If I really wanted neat shower grout, I might even consider going in there with some heavy, premium grout protector and an art brush and just painting those lines.

Sevive said:
Try 511 sealer .  The best.

^100% agree. I used Miracle 511 on the less traffic areas and 511 Porous Plus in the kitchen/master bath. I did 2 coats after close of escrow prior to moving in. Took my wife and me a couple of days of around 4-5hrs each to get it done, but it's held up great for 10 months.

Could you guys recommend the process of getting rid of the grout in the first place?

Before the Grout Seal goes on?
I think last time I asked for a quote, it was like $3-$5 a sq foot or something which I thought was a lot

Definitely test an inconspicuous spot to ensure no staining, discoloring, etc.  It has happened based on my research on certain surfaces.  We had no issues and we applied to both tile and grout line.  Doesn't hurt the tile (supposedly makes it less slippery), and TBH I was too lazy to just do the grout lines, running it across the whole surface was easier.  We applied, waited a few minutes and wiped off with a microfiber towel.  We went in sections throughout the house. 

For the marble, if you have big pieces and minimal grout, you can go with just the grout line as you probably wont have food that would stain it in the bathroom vs the kitchen.  Just as a note marble is more porous than other materials such as granite/quartz and stain easier.  So I don't think sealing it would hurt. 

**again make sure you test a spot first as all surfaces react differently to sealants

OCVillager said:
akkord said:
Sevive said:
Try 511 sealer .  The best.

^100% agree. I used Miracle 511 on the less traffic areas and 511 Porous Plus in the kitchen/master bath. I did 2 coats after close of escrow prior to moving in. Took my wife and me a couple of days of around 4-5hrs each to get it done, but it's held up great for 10 months.

Hi akkord,

Did you apply the sealant just to the grout lines or did you apply it to the tiles as well? I have Ceramic tiles in kitchen and Baths and would like to know the process you followed. Also, the bath tub wall tiles are standard marble, so do I need the same sealant there as well?

Back