VR Headsets

irvinehomeowner

My kids have been asking for VR headsets and one of them even tried it at the new eSports Arena at UCI.

So I bought some different ones (Destek and Magicoo) from Amazon Prime. They were only about $15 each and they fit most phones. The Destek one had a BT remote for $7 more but it only works with Android phones for game control.

Currently, they use them with YouTube 360/VR/Google Cardboard videos but it's pretty decent for the price. One uses a spring loaded tray to hold the phone, the other uses a suction cup tray... the spring loaded seems to fit more phones but the suction cup one is better for smaller phones.

It's funny watching them look around the room and once I can figure out which games are available for Android, that should add more antics. One of my kids did complain it got them a bit nauseous.

Anyone else have experience with VR headsets?

Yeah I got a Vive when it first came out. Haven't used it much though, been busy with work and baby.

irvinehomeowner said:
One of my kids did complain it got them a bit nauseous.

Anyone else have experience with VR headsets?

Aww. If it's any consolation to Iho Jr., I also get a headache and nausea from the Occulus Rift first version that came out like a year or two ago and that went for $300. It has a low resolution. My kids like it, though. It doesn't seem to bother them at all. I'm just glad we got it for free because it's not worth the dough, imho. Maybe your baby would like the newer one with better quality. It'll only set you back $600. ;-)

I purchased the Oculus Rift Dev kit 2 when it first came out, and never cracked it open, but I can only imagine the motion sickness you could get from playing those games, especially for over an hour or so.

I remember when the N64 first came out, playing Mario 64 in 3D gave me motion sickness, can't imagine what those VR headsets would do to my already sensitive equilibrium! ;)

I used to have a VR helmet in the 90's.  The resolution was pretty terrible compared to today's standards.  Would play with the helmet for hours at a time.  Never got motion sickness, but I'm not the type to get motion sickness.

I think the better resolutions might affect people more with motion sickness.  While I don't get motion sickness, I do have problems with some of the newer stuff that I've seen.  Edges of some objects bother me, for example.

In terms of gaming, I'm not certain where the future is for VR

I can only imagine how nauseous people will get in HD call of duty play.  My eyes hurt enough after a few games with just the standard tv.  Maybe a NBA/NHL game may work well but an intensive fps would be asking for motion sickness

The VR headsets are slowly collecting dust as the novelty has worn off.

Good thing I spent tens of dollars instead of hundreds.

Back