Did Irvine Change its Homework Rules?

Bullsback

So I was talking to a realtor the other day, who said they took a tour of the new Beacon Park K-8 and someone at the school mentioned to them that IUSD had changed their homework policy based upon studies which determined that homework was not effective and that IUSD was getting rid of homework. 

The realtor I talked to, didn't have further specifics, but I figured if something like this had happened, someone would have mentioned it here. I have to presume this was something like, no homework for grades K-4 or something like that vs. no homework throughout the district. Anyway, was going to see whether this is some urban myth or if this actually happened this year and if so, does anyone have any specifics (my kids aren't school age yet, but am curious).

None collected K-2 for us. You can still print out worksheets and do them voluntarily but they will not be collected. Reading logs are still being collected on a monthly basis.

peppy said:
None collected K-2 for us. You can still print out worksheets and do them voluntarily but they will not be collected. Reading logs are still being collected on a monthly basis.
Is that new? Or was it always none collected for K-2.  Like I said, I didn't have any specifics so I presume this is a new thing or the realtor got bad information or is misinterpreting the info. I  actually agree with the premise (at least in relation that there should be specfic limits on homework at lower levels...as you get older though, there are benefits of homework). I think it is important to ensure there is time for lots of varying activities for kids (including just time for kids to be kids...which in and of itself has plenty of benefits). 

My kid got a big envelope that is laminated.  It is for homework and is collected on Fridays.  This is 1st grade.

If I were the Homework Master:

K-3: No homework, but should read and practice math facts
4-6: Light homework with reading and math facts, maybe just Mon-Wed.
7-8: No homework over the weekend
9-12: Homework based on courses taken

For us it's a certain grade only at a certain school, at this time. I definitely do not agree with the no homework policy so I have done what I can to request that this be changed.  This is not at one of the newer schools so probably doesn't apply to many of you? 

By monitoring their homework, I can see right away if they are not understanding a concept and where they need extra help.  My kids will never volunteer that information since that means more work for them.  :)

Definitely, homework is not a bad thing, especially when it comes to learning. However, I feel as though leaving learning in the hands of the teachers is a no-no from the start. When it comes to homework, having it at school is alright. However, when it comes to teaching YOUR KIDS (whether you have kids or not, you get the point), you should be at the forefront (not Mr. or Mrs. Teacher). They help; however, you develop them.

Homework is definitely a plus. However, it is the blind trust and role of the teacher being obligated to do that for you that is the problem I address.

@irvinehusky

Hello.  All I was mentioning was that I wanted things to go back to the way they have been; that is to have assigned homework.  From there, I can determine what else they need.  I am kind of assigning the homework on my own but I do not want to have to do that.  I already have my kids doing other "educational exercises" regardless of whether they get homework or not so we never blindly expected that our teachers would teach our kids everything they need to know.  I agree 100% with you that the parents should ultimately be responsible for their kids' learning.

Fred said:
Definitely, homework is not a bad thing, especially when it comes to learning. However, I feel as though leaving learning in the hands of the teachers is a no-no from the start. When it comes to homework, having it at school is alright. However, when it comes to teaching YOUR KIDS (whether you have kids or not, you get the point), you should be at the forefront (not Mr. or Mrs. Teacher). They help; however, you develop them.

Homework is definitely a plus. However, it is the blind trust and role of the teacher being obligated to do that for you that is the problem I address.

@irvinehusky

When my eldest was in 7th grade I was shocked at the amount of time spent on projects that were art related- drawings, creating food cells, etc. At times I felt it was really a big waste of time and there was nothing additive to doing this.  A ton of busywork.  Now my youngest is in 7th grade and we haven't had one of these projects- and I'm very happy about that. 

Back