Legado vs trellis court

Newhome24

Hello ,

We are trying to make a decision between Legado PS vs Trellis ct Cypress, we visited both the properties.

We like Legado better than Trellis ct  but MS is 4200 and CV 1700 which make us think about.

any suggestions?. is market is slow right now?.

Newhome24 said:
Hello ,

We are trying to make a decision between Legado PS vs Trellis ct Cypress, we visited both the properties.

We like Legado better than Trellis ct  but MS is 4200 and CV 1700 which make us think about.

any suggestions?. is market is slow right now?.

I agree that Legado > Trellis.. plus I think Legado is bigger right?  It's not TOO much more.. but if that amount is going to make a big difference, then go with Trellis.  I don't think it should in any case. 

Not sure if this is a game changer for you... but for PS, you get the brand new elementary/high school.  For trellis court I believe you get zoned to Irvine high still?  Not saying Irvine high is bad but I'm saying Portola may be a better option if you had kids and wanted to take advantage of the new stuff they have at new schools.

Hello -

Thank you for the responses, and suggestion. Here is my analysis. We have been shopping around a while in the new housing market. Actually we missed East wood just because they asked for 12 months reserves (Petaluma) plan2. and it was crazy because of people like us.

Trellis court:

Pros: Location is a plus, as it is closer than PS 3
        MS -1700 flat and HOA 250
        Reselling may be easy - as i see lot of Asian crowd again
        As we are in the list already , can get some thing in phase 3 or 4
      We opted plan 2 or 3  which is 820 and 840 around (the sales lady was saying lot of waiting list for plan ;)

Nice Floor plans  with down stair bedroom

Cons: Court yard homes very close to one to other home
          Very less yard
          No drive way
          We have 7 yr old , elementary is a little far (CV or BP)
          For court yard homes i feel they priced high based on CV demand in the past.
          They already increased the price for phase 2 and 3
          Plan2 SFT 1825 plan3 1395

Legado-

Decent floor plans ( we liked paln1 and 2 )  have a down stairs bedroom
      Plan 1 2040 sft with a drive way
      little bigger yard when compare to TS
      Detached condos not a court yard. Decent distance between homes
      New elementary and high , elementary is close to walk
      Nice location with hill view( some homes)
      Not too much asians and price didn't increase because of that ( my assumption is because of cementary )
      No too far for freeway 5 .
      There are some homes in phase 6 we are going to see this wee- move in DEC. price is not increased over all here for phases.

Price for plan 1 - 823 (2040 sft) with few upgrades and plan 2 (220sft)870$

Cons-

MS  4200 and HOA built out 205 - this is where we are thinking can we go with this MS
    Resale - not sure if we need a resell after 5 yrs - how easy we can do ( we are not going to sell in 5 yrs , just in case)

We personally liked Legado plan 2  and price for phase 6 is 870

This is our first home and we would like to make a good choice - I really like TIC - where some valuable discussion always

I like Trellis. The layouts are super efficient. For four bedrooms, plans 3 and 4 are great. They both have a loft. The loft in plan four is bigger but the MB bathroom is nicer because of the built in bench. The open plan with the high cealings is gold. I like the location as well. It's right next to the Great Park which is clutch if you have children. You're also near 133 and 5. The Spectrum is close by. I've heard that a commercial district called the Base Camp may be going up in the near future. The new ice rink will be there too. I think if you get in during the early phases it could potentially be a great buy for future resale. All my spidey senses point to goo appreciation. The schools are CV elementary, Jefferson Trails Middle school and Irvine High. There are some that think Irvine High isn't the best but others are saying that schools are cyclical and because of the young family boom in CV where parents place a high value on studying and good education, Irvine High could see a boost again. Also, since Trellis is pretty much in BP area, there could be a chance that the area is rezoned. You could always request your children go to Portola but there is no guarantee.

I was in a similar situation as you, but we ended up buying at Trellis Court (Phase 1).  Key differences are that we have no kids (yet).

Here are some of the reasons why we chose TC over many similar detached SFR communities:

-Location. Location. Location.  Central to both my wife's and my office.  Right next to the Great Park, 10 minute drive to Spectrum, easy access to 5, 405, and 133.  Proposed Base Camp retail center will be a walk down the block.
-Low Mello Roos.  Currently capped @ $1700 annually.  If there's any community out there with less MR, please enlighten me.
-Builder Reputation and Floorplans.  Many here have praised the efficient floorplans, and I concur.  Same goes for the builder.  Sales team have been great to work with.
-Resaleability/Rentability. As this is our first home, resaleability/rentability was absolutely important to us. With low MR and being in a prime location, it won't be difficult to be cash flow positive if we decide to rent.  We bought in Phase 1 in order to maximize future potential resale value if we decide to sell. 

One thing about Legado that you mentioned: If prices have not gone up each phase, maybe it's a sign that demand is waning.  Can't remember who said it, but pricing trends during phase releases could be seen as an indication of resale values in the future.  Portola High is the wild card here.  But then again, Cypress Village East could be rezoned to Portola High.

There were a few wants we sacrificed when purchasing here though.  No driveway, no 3CWG (heck i'll even take tandem), no loft, no real yard.  However, this is our first home, so our next home will probably have all of our wants.  We have no kids yet, so this is more than enough space for us.

If it were my decision, I think I would lean towards Trellis court

I like the houses in Legado more (more space in between, organized court yard) feels almost like single family residence but I like the location of Trellis court more

It's no joke when I say this, but with the morning traffic on sand canyon/Jeffrey, it might take you 10 mins to drive from Legado to Trellis court...proximity from the 5 is key for me.  If you've seen my post history, I bought my first in Caserta in Cypress village for that exact reason: location.  Lots of demand for renting and eventually for selling because of that. High MR was the reason I sold it, as it was impossible to profit as an investment property.  If Trellis court were available at the same time, I would've picked there for the lower MR by itself. 

Even though Trellis court looks a lot like the cramped Woodbury courtyard from the outside, inside the home there's no feeling of being cramped at all probably due to the high celings.  Can't lose with either one though, good luck!

I liked both Trellis and Legado:

Amenities:  I liked the Trellis' close proximity to WTC and future GP shopping.  Legado is slated to have a shopping across the street but that is a future project (probably next year when they start the new GP neighborhood there).
Floorplan:  I liked both floorplans.  I liked Trellis for the high ceilings and I liked Legado for the full driveway and more rooms.
Schools:  I liked Legado because the elementary school and high school are walkable.  I like Trellis because the elementary school and middle school is pretty close (can ride their bikes).

I would probably pick based on specific lots available.

id_rather_be_racing

Hello - Thank you for your review, if you don't mind which plan you picked up in Trellis ct and what is the price and any upgrades you got for the phase 1

They have plan 3 and 4 left in Phase and price is 844 for plan 3  - with some upgrade and plan 4 is 891 (out of price range for me).

Thanks.

Trellis Court interior /floor plan is great. Only concern is the close proximity to other units. I would compare Trellis court to say Marine or Petaluma in Eastwood. The ones in Eastwood that I mentioned have better separation of units. In these Eastwood ones, I feel you can stand outside to get a good view of the front elevation, but you cannot get to see the front elevation so well due to the cramped nature of Trellis court homes. Both these ones in eastwood have side yards which is missing in Trellis court. But price and floor plan wise, I found trellis the best. Wish I could transplant trellis to stand alone style ....but I know the price would be another 200 -250K more.

BangBros said:
My wife and I are in the same boat.  We're looking for sub 700k-800k 2nd home.  We are in no rush and we both our parents are just waiting to "gift" us the cash when we're good to go.

We are on the list for Helena but are totally opened to options.  This will be my 3rd home but our 2nd home together.  We'll have two rental properties. 

Finally, I think it's stupid that Wells Fargo says we can't use gift as liquid reserves.  The gift can only be used for down.  That just means I have to spend my parent's cash on the down whilst keeping most of it on reserves.
With two rentals, they wanted a ton in 1 yr worth of reserves.

The banks are really stupid but no biggie, it just means that reserves have to be personally "earned".

Yup, you don't even want to know the reserves that I had to have to buy my home (12 month reserves for 4 rentals and a 2nd home).  The way to get around the gift fund thing is to have your parents just deposit the funds into your account and have them season for 2-3 months...then the lender will never ask you about it.

Back