test your water

hello

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/20/health/chromium-6-in-drinking-water/index.html?sr=fbCNN092016chromium-6-in-drinking-water1150PMStoryLink&linkId=29016050

I think a lot of us ignore or are oblivious to many potential hazards in our lives because we "trust" govt officials or regulators to keep track of potential hazards.  The truth is that many things are over looked.  I posted this article to remind us that we all have to be cautious of things we take for granted every day, including our water supply.  Not every tragedy has to be in the magnitude of Flint Michigan water crisis.  There are things that can harm us slowly over many years.

I had my water tested in Irvine.  The total amount of haloacetic acids was 50% greater than recommended by EPA as a primary standard.  Haloacetic acids (HAA) are a by product of chemicals like chlorine and chloramine for disinfecting our water.  Its a known carcinogen.  I brought this up with IRWD and they said my testing was off and was very dismissive.  They refused to even investigate this further.  Fortunately HAA can be filtered out by using a filtration system or even water pitcher filtration system.  We filter all of our drinking water and our showers. 

BTW in case some of you are wondering about chromium levels, they were low. 

Water test cost me about $350.  There are cheaper options if you test for fewer things.

have you tested Boron level?
I had a blood work showing very high levels of boron, was told this must be coming from the water.
have no clue how to test this.

any idea?

irvinehomeowner said:
#watergate

Does boiling the water reduce the HAA?

Apparently not. You need a good filter.

Chloraminated and chlorinated waters containing bromide were used to determine the impact of boiling on disinfection by-product (DBP) concentrations. No significant changes were detected in the concentrations of the dihalogenated haloacetic acids (DXAAs) (i.e., dichloro-, bromochloro-, dibromoacetic acid) upon boiling of chloraminated water, whereas the levels of the trihalogenated haloacetic acids (TXAAs) (i.e., trichloro- (TCAA), bromodichloro- (BDCAA), dibromochloroacetic acid (DBCAA)) decreased over time (e.g., 9-37% for TCAA). Increased DXAA concentrations (58-68%) were detected in the boiled chlorinated sample, which likely resulted from residual chlorine reacting with DXAA precursors.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15743631

irvinehomeowner said:
#watergate

Does boiling the water reduce the HAA?

It reduces one type of HAA but increases another so its a wash.  Only way is to filter your water.

curious george said:
have you tested Boron level?
I had a blood work showing very high levels of boron, was told this must be coming from the water.
have no clue how to test this.

any idea?

I havent tested boron, but I thought boron was more in the soil than water.  I have no idea how to test for boron.. sorry

It reminds me of the fact that the government and officials are just humans. They have their families on their minds, and even though your water was out of line, who knows that the reason is? We do not know if there are money problems internally, which makes them have to only remove the most potent toxins, like lead or other potent carcinogens or teratogens. I personally do not know what goes on there; however, who knows what the real problem for the water could be?

Smart work on getting your own filter @hello.

More grandiosity :eek:. The water in Irvine is as clean as any place in southern California. IRWD tests all lines before the home is charged and put under pressure. You are not drinking the ground water that everyone seems to be so concerned with. Thats 50' down and will NOT even effect your lawn. Water filters are always recommended anywhere where you plan on drinking domestic water. Maybe not if you live in a cabin in the Sierras...

If you are the sort of person who is into testing your water, you may need to do it frequently.
http://www.irwd.com/services/water-quality-report

Why does my water taste or smell different during different times of the year?

Unlike many areas of Orange County, IRWD is not dependent upon only one source of water. Approximately 65 percent of our total domestic water supply is local groundwater pumped from wells within the Orange County Groundwater Basin. The remaining 35 percent of our water supply is imported water which must be purchased from the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California (MWD). Note: some areas of the District such as Lake Forest and Newport Coast receive mostly MWD water all year-round.

MWD imports water from the Colorado River via the Colorado River Aqueduct and from Northern California via the California Aqueduct, also known as the State Water Project. IRWD generally uses water from the Colorado River, Northern California and local wells and the mix varies throughout the year. Imported water is treated at MWD's Diemer Filtration Plant in Yorba Linda using chloramines, a combination of chlorine and ammonia. IRWD also uses chloramines to treat your well water as it enters the distribution system. Generally, using this combination results in less chlorine taste and odor. Because your water sources may vary or be made up of a blending of these various types of water, you may notice a difference in the taste or hardness (mineral content) of the water at different times of year. None of these factors affect the safety of your water.Having multiple sources of water is beneficial for IRWD customers. Local groundwater is both high in quality and lower in cost than imported water which must travel hundreds of miles through aqueduct systems. Having more than one source also improves the overall reliability of our water supply.

Back