When should I start looking for Tenants - Single Family detached condo

itsme

I want to rent out my Single family detached condo in Irvine in March, 2017.
1) Should I rent it out through an agent or I do it myself ?
2) When should I start looking for Tenants ?

If you never done this before, go through an agent might be a good idea.

An agent can provides some very valuable services which you might not able to or not experience enough to do it yourself in the first time around.  They can list your home on MLS, check credit history, negotiate terms and contract etc.  Also there is a good possibility that an agent already have clients line up to rent your home. 

I just went through this and did it on my own. It was fairly painless given the current rental market.  But if your anticipated rent is above $4k/month, I'd probably consider an agent or PM.

I found that most tenants don't seriously look for a property until about a month from their targeted move in date. So, I wouldn't list it too early.

Depending on how much time you have to service tenants, I would hire a property manager because it's not just about getting a tenant, but also dealing with them during the lease and afterwards.

ChunkFinley said:
I just went through this and did it on my own. It was fairly painless given the current rental market.  But if your anticipated rent is above $4k/month, I'd probably consider an agent or PM.

I found that most tenants don't seriously look for a property until about a month from their targeted move in date. So, I wouldn't list it too early.

Where did you list your house for rent ?

If you are going to live close to the home, don't waste your money on a property manager.  Irvine draws in good tenants for the most part and the rental market is fairly strong so you'll have your pick of the litter.  You'll also want to get professional pictures done which you can use for your future rental listings.  As mentioned before, best time to list your home for rent is approx. 30 days before you move out and the tenant can move in.  It's also important to review closed rental comps so that you list the home with the appropriate rental listing amount as tenants can be price sensitive.  Having an agent his your home on MLS will give you the broadest exposure which does help with a more expensive rental. PM me if I can be of any assistance. 

Yes. I agree with getting an agent to list your property. Agent can at least help you with the disclosure rental contract. They can also help with screening good tenant. I would not get property management. Irvine does draw in good tenant if something is broken you can always find good vendor on Yelp with good reviews. Property management will charge you for the service which is only a Yelp search away for you.

Back