PlayStation Vue (cable TV alternative)

#nouglydishonmyroof
#netflix4life
#cbsnewsApponPS4forFree

(DL the cbs news app, I say it's the best in class)

I'll consider this as well, i'm still stuck on live TV with cable.  the free trial should help if i can transition to streaming.  for some reason, despite paying for Netflix for years, I rarely use it. 

Here's my typical viewing routine:  CNBC in the morning until my daughter wakes up, if she behaves, she gets her choice of 15 minutes of TV before we trek to school (usually DVR'd Full House from Nick, some nature show from NatGeo, or Good eats from Food).  At night we usually watch bachelor/basketball/news/american ninja warrior/the voice.  I also try to catch up on my DVR'd show from months ago of FOB/Modern Fam/Blackish/Cutthroat Kitchen.  You think the Vue can duplicate this?  And knowing Sony, user interface will probably not too friendly?  My wife's gonna hate me if she has to relearn how to watch her shows with another gadget :)

From reading that link, some of the networks are On-Demand and not live yet but I like that it uses the cloud for DVR which can store "thousands" of shows.

They even have a RedZone package available for $39.99 (is that the cost for add-ons to other services?).

I've been looking into it and will list the pros and cons that I can think of.
It has all the major cable channels and network channels except for the CW.  Any other mainstream channels that it doesn't have?  There are a few other channels I watch.

Keep in mind that I've not used this service yet.  It does have a 7 day free trial, though.

Pros:
  • It has a pretty good channel lineup for all the major cable and network channels (except for one)
  • Reasonable price
  • No stupid device fees
  • No commitment

Cons:
  • If you have kids or are into the DC shows (supergirl, flash, green arrow...), then you have to wait until they show up at the end of the season on netflix (is that 9 months?)  Another option is to watch it live OTA.  Yikes, I've not done that in forever.
  • Most of the online streaming services aren't partnered with Sony, so their apps on the ipads wont work or playing shows on their websites wont work
  • You will need to deal with all of the streaming quirks...
  • You can use it with 5 devices, which is great but you can't use it with 2 similar devices.  What does that mean?  You can stream concurrently with a PS3 and a PS4.  You can't stream concurrently with 2 PS4's.  You can't stream concurrently with 2 PS3's.  This wont affect me, but might affect others.
  • Your ability to "record" varies by show and by channel.  I'm not sure what this means, but keep that in mind.

ps9 said:
And knowing Sony, user interface will probably not too friendly? 
Good point.  Sony has it's head up it's ass when it comes to user interface.  PS4 is worse than PS3 and PS3 isn't anything to brag about.

I've cut the cable!  The hardest part before cutting the cable was access to sports, for me the lakers and the terrible twc channel.  Right now, I use Kodi for shows/movies on my amazon firestick and tablet.  And I use hehe stream from my sports.  You can read the faq and see how it works but it's amazing hd quality.  Essentially $100 for a full season of NBA including playoffs, no blackouts every team, it's so much better than nba league pass, I can watch it on my laptop/tv/ps4/xbox 1.  It also includes all other sports like mlb and nfl for around the same price.  $100 for a season is much cheaper month to month than having cable.  YOu can pm me if you have any questions  8)

SoclosetoIrvine said:
I've cut the cable!  The hardest part before cutting the cable was access to sports, for me the lakers and the terrible twc channel.  Right now, I use Kodi for shows/movies on my amazon firestick and tablet.  And I use hehe stream from my sports.  You can read the faq and see how it works but it's amazing hd quality.  Essentially $100 for a full season of NBA including playoffs, no blackouts every team, it's so much better than nba league pass, I can watch it on my laptop/tv/ps4/xbox 1.  It also includes all other sports like mlb and nfl for around the same price.  $100 for a season is much cheaper month to month than having cable.  YOu can pm me if you have any questions  8)

I've always tried to stay legit (avoiding kodi unless I have to), but Hollywood has been way too overly political this election cycle and it bothers me that I am funding that crap.  I don't even watch much tv and movies and have been overspending on that stuff.  Going the kodi route or just shutting off cable altogether seems a lot more appealing now.

We cut our cable TV and replaced it with antenna, Apple TV (4th gen/US) and android TV box from Taiwan.  Visit ????/Guanghua Digital Plaza in Taipei to purchase (shop around, prices vary a lot):https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/光華商場https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guang_Hua_Digital_Plaza

I also have media PC and PS4, but Apple TV is good enough for my Korean drama fix (Viki & Drama fever). Just finished catching up on ??/??/Faith and ????/Pinocchio last weekend.  Now watching ???/???/Chief Kim.

Pre-loaded Kodi TV box is avail on craigslist locally, but you should probably use it with a proxy server.  If you only watch a couple shows then you might want to consider a subscription to Easynews instead and just download the video files.  Google for directions in changing zip file size limit to over 2GB in Easynews settings.

Also, for those who want to cut cable and use over the air (OTA) DVR, I have previously purchased and tested Tablo.  The system works fairly well in combination with Apple TV and iPad.  It's avail locally at Micro Center in Tustin.

However keep in mind that it's NOT a standalone box like Tivo.  You will need the Tablo box, HDTV antenna, external HDD, supported TV casting device (Apple TV/Roku or other) and remote control device (iPhone/iPad/etc).  There is also a $5/month subscription fee for extended program listing.

momopi said:
Also, for those who want to cut cable and use over the air (OTA) DVR, I have previously purchased and tested Tablo.  The system works fairly well in combination with Apple TV and iPad.  It's avail locally at Micro Center in Tustin.

However keep in mind that it's NOT a standalone box like Tivo.  You will need the Tablo box, HDTV antenna, external HDD, supported TV casting device (Apple TV/Roku or other) and remote control device (iPhone/iPad/etc).  There is also a $5/month subscription fee for extended program listing.

GUYS GET KODI...I can't express this enough!
LITERALLY, SPEND $40 ON AN AMAZON FIRE STICK..OR LESS
DOWNLOAD KODI WITHIN 20 MINS
INSTALL EXODUS FOR ALL THE MOVIES AND SHOWS YOU COULD DREAM
WANT SPORTS? IT'S THERE. 

NO SUBSCRIPTION FEES, NO OTHER NONSENSE, NO APPLE/IPAD NEEDED, NO SET UP BOX, NO STUPID OTA CABLE.  JUST TRUE 1080P SHOWS/MOVIES, ONE TIME

PLUS U CAN USE THE AMAZON FIRE STICK FOR OTHER THINGS.  GO READ PRODUCT DESCRIPTION, IT'S LIKE A 80% APPLE TV EVEN WITHOUT KODI

SoclosetoIrvine said:
momopi said:

WANT SPORTS? IT'S THERE. 

NO SUBSCRIPTION FEES, NO OTHER NONSENSE, NO APPLE/IPAD NEEDED, NO SET UP BOX, NO STUPID OTA CABLE.  JUST TRUE 1080P SHOWS/MOVIES, ONE TIME

PLUS U CAN USE THE AMAZON FIRE STICK FOR OTHER THINGS.  GO READ PRODUCT DESCRIPTION, IT'S LIKE A 80% APPLE TV EVEN WITHOUT KODI
It's a hit and miss with Kodi, using exodus and salt, sometimes it's laggy, takes time searching the servers, and iffy quality, but otherwise can't beat the price of free

I haven't found any good or even decent sports, halfway using sports devil, but find that Reddit links work better...

SoclosetoIrvine said:
momopi said:

WANT SPORTS? IT'S THERE. 

As long as you are cool with copyright infringement and willing to face the consequences of it. Plus your Kodi is becomes a DDoS at the command of the developer of Exodus.

peppy said:
As long as you are cool with copyright infringement and willing to face the consequences of it. Plus your Kodi is becomes a DDoS at the command of the developer of Exodus.

Just my opinion, people using kodi on amazon stick won't have any danger with copyright infringement.  It's essentially using a link to watch a stream of a movie/video, not directly downloading the source itself.  So if anything, the person hosting the stream maybe in trouble but the end user wouldn't be.  I mean, imagine the type of chaos that happened if fbi was knocking on doors for everyone watching these movies/shows (millions) then how about everyone else that downloads software on piratebay, or music illegally.  It just wouldn't happen

Like I said, say exodus goes bananas, the firestick by itself is still worthy of the $40.  It's a really nice device similar to apple tv/roku etc.  The fact that it can install kodi so easily is a huge bonus.  Plus it's $40 guys..most everyone here makes $40/hr I'm guessing.  Not some $250 set up box.  Most people's cable is $50/month so no loss

[/quote]

AW said:
It's a hit and miss with Kodi, using exodus and salt, sometimes it's laggy, takes time searching the servers, and iffy quality, but otherwise can't beat the price of free

I haven't found any good or even decent sports, halfway using sports devil, but find that Reddit links work better...

For kodi I've developed a few tricks here and there for the most success.  There's options which allow you to set which quality you want.  I usually stay away from 1080p and just load the HD ones or 720p...then you select filters that say no to those that need "authorization" ...can't beat free for sure

For sports I use hehe streams, but it does cost $, but really good quality there.  I'm at work right now, but I use nba stream or something like that for nba sports.  I also use castaway for some decent tv sports stream. but it really depends on luck for sports.  hehe streams...is my fav tho

SoclosetoIrvine said:
peppy said:

Just my opinion, people using kodi on amazon stick won't have any danger with copyright infringement.

LOL. That's the same defense as buying bootleg movies from the dude at the street corner.

You are essentially bound to whatever your ISP decides to enforce and how the feds are pushing the DMCA.

Without a VPN you are exposing yourself to the possibility of a hefty settlement payout or worse.

peppy said:
SoclosetoIrvine said:
peppy said:

Just my opinion, people using kodi on amazon stick won't have any danger with copyright infringement.

LOL. That's the same defense as buying bootleg movies from the dude at the street corner.

You are essentially bound to whatever your ISP decides to enforce and how the feds are pushing the DMCA.

Without a VPN you are exposing yourself to the possibility of a hefty settlement payout or worse.

First, High props to you first for never illegally downloading anything in your whole life.  I was messing with limewire from middle school, then BT after. 

We can go back and forth but I believe we are talking about different things here. 
Most copyright law says "you cannot copy or share copyrighted material"
The key word being "share"

Your example of buying/selling bootleg movie is a violation of copyright, you are right.  Why?  Because it involves sharing and copying that movie

Next topic is Bittorrent/limewire/any p2p like piratebay
Now that could be considered a violation as well, why?  the sharing part.  As anyone who has used BT in the past, after you download the file, BT actively seeds it so other people can download it, which necessitates the "sharing" part.  So I agree you might get hit with something there.  If you do use p2p, make sure you delete the file after you use it and cancel seeding etc

Finally, kodi or specifically exodus.  Unlike torrenting which requires sharing, Exodus is using a third party to "stream" the movie/show, you never download it, you never share it like a P2P, which would keep you safe from copyright laws.  Could they change and update the rules the enforce that even streaming is included one day, of course yes and we'll all have to adjust accordingly

Now your last point about ISP, which is a separate topic, is of course recommended if you do any surfing.  You can a VPN to your firestick pretty easily too if you wanted, below is a link, which allows 5 devices
https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-install-vpn-on-a-firestick-ipvanish-vpn/

SoclosetoIrvine said:
peppy said:
SoclosetoIrvine said:
peppy said:

First, High props to you first for never illegally downloading anything in your whole life.  I was messing with limewire from middle school, then BT after. 

We can go back and forth but I believe we are talking about different things here. 
Most copyright law says "you cannot copy or share copyrighted material"
The key word being "share"

Your example of buying/selling bootleg movie is a violation of copyright, you are right.  Why?  Because it involves sharing and copying that movie

Next topic is Bittorrent/limewire/any p2p like piratebay
Now that could be considered a violation as well, why?  the sharing part.  As anyone who has used BT in the past, after you download the file, BT actively seeds it so other people can download it, which necessitates the "sharing" part.  So I agree you might get hit with something there.  If you do use p2p, make sure you delete the file after you use it and cancel seeding etc

Finally, kodi or specifically exodus.  Unlike torrenting which requires sharing, Exodus is using a third party to "stream" the movie/show, you never download it, you never share it like a P2P, which would keep you safe from copyright laws.  Could they change and update the rules the enforce that even streaming is included one day, of course yes and we'll all have to adjust accordingly

Now your last point about ISP, which is a separate topic, is of course recommended if you do any surfing.  You can a VPN to your firestick pretty easily too if you wanted, below is a link, which allows 5 devices
https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-install-vpn-on-a-firestick-ipvanish-vpn/

Good luck trying to use this defense with a judge. The whole "I'm only downloading" excuse didn't fly with MP3s back in the day when people where on BT and thinking it was safe as long as they were not seeding their files. Deleting a file did not absolve you of any liability in the eyes of the law either (even if you never shared it, or even opened it).

There may not be a big incentive right now to go after Kodi users, but with the advent of more legal (and subscription based) IPTV boxes I expect that to change.

Back