OH: ISUD vs TUSD

irvinedreamer

Just had first day of 4th grade at Hicks and saw 36 kids per class! :-\

Concerned for my kid and concerned for the teachers.  Apparently this is expected in TUSD, just letting any future OH buyers beware...

What is the typical class size for IUSD these day?
Btw, did you complete and submit the OH K-4 interest form?

irvinedreamer said:

Concerned for my kid and concerned for the teachers.  Apparently this is expected in TUSD, just letting any future OH buyers beware...

Um, OH buyers in Village I and a fraction of Village II, to be precise.

We pay a large mello roos to TUSD for the "TUSTIN UNIFIED CFD # 14-1", which is the assessment targeted at improving school facilities.  They tell us there is insufficient enrollment for them to add grades to Orchard Hills Schools, and yet they are cramming kids into Hicks Canyon?  I mean, on the surface it just looks like they are taking our money, promising to open classes, but simply "pocketing" the money by putting more kids into one classroom.  Basically cheating us out of the mello roos we pay.

As residents under this school district, what actions can we take?  It seems to me a law suit is not out of the question.

I'm surprised not more residents are getting involved in this.

Well...wasn't the general plan of Irvine was to have elem school within walking distance of the homes it serves?  Maybe write/call the city of Irvine...TUSD can care less for OH resident pleas if you look at its past history...it will continue to 'spread the wealth' of your hard earned money to all needy schools in its districts. 

OH school is in Irvine, I'm sure having an Irvine councilmember on your side will perk up TUSD ears more.

ps9 said:
Well...wasn't the general plan of Irvine was to have elem school within walking distance of the homes it serves?  Maybe write/call the city of Irvine...TUSD can care less for OH resident pleas if you look at its past history...it will continue to 'spread the wealth' of your hard earned money to all needy schools in its districts. 

OH school is in Irvine, I'm sure having an Irvine councilmember on your side will perk up TUSD ears more.

What perked up their ears a bit was a lawsuit by the City of Tustin. TUSD won't care one iota what the city of Irvine has to say unless somehow money lands in their pockets.

Ready2Downsize said:
ps9 said:

What perked up their ears a bit was a lawsuit by the City of Tustin. TUSD won't care one iota what the city of Irvine has to say unless somehow money lands in their pockets.

if city of Tustin can sue, so can city of Irvine in protecting its constituents.  I'm no expert, but I doubt TUSD cares about disgruntled homeowners with no leverage....but if you got city of Irvine/TIC knocking on their door... Different play, not necessarily threaten with lawsuit, but can ask firmly.  At least open some discussion.  How do you look up TUSDs contract with city of Irvine in serving Irvine residents?  Wouldn't they have to abide by the same Irvine master plan that all IUSD schools reflect?

Maybe you guys need to have a chat with the mayoral candidate Gang Chen. 
http://www.gangchenusa.com/
As your mayor, I will:
Place Irvine and Irvine residents' interests first, as well as respect and promote cultural diversity. I have the courage to fight for you to ensure your interests are protected.

Most people bought a home in Irvine because of its good schools. However, the class sizes for Irvine schools are too large. For example, a class often has 33 students for 4th to 6th grades. With a larger class, it is hard for the teachers to pay adequate attention to each student. The main reason for larger class sizes is because of the limited state funding for education. As your mayor, I will work with your school board representatives to start the process of class size reduction, work to increase the number of APAAS classes to meet Irvine residents' demands, and improve the libraries.

irvinedreamer said:

Was like that at Deerfield in Irvine for K, 1, 2 so far.  I think they had a 30 kid limit for K, but they went higher, so much for that...  They depend on having room mom volunteers to help the teachers.

Back