But when you add distracted drivers (texting), mature drivers, teenage drivers, careless drivers (you can tell by scratches and dents all over the car), people putting make up on, road rage drivers, over cautious drivers (people who stop cautiously and might cause rear end collisions)

All these type of drivers that I mention doesn't mix with speedy car racers

I've never understood why over here slow drivers go on the fast lane. 
It's not like this in other countries.
Hate it when someone goes to the fast lane but proceed to drive sloooow and when other lanes aren't congested. 

MagicJ1zz said:
AW said:
I've never understood why over here slow drivers go on the fast lane. 
It's not like this in other countries.
Hate it when someone goes to the fast lane but proceed to drive sloooow and when other lanes aren't congested.

It's an Asian thang.

I knew a person once who had taken the matter on principle. Her contention was that she is driving at posted speed limit of 65 and she has the right to drive in any lane she chooses at posted peed limit. I guess she din't have many things to feel good about, so she made this one up for herself.

The problem with Americans is that they usually don't have as much common courtesy on the road as say our German counterparts. It's the American attitude...I have the right to the entire road, it's my right to drive on any lane I choose, I have a right to put on makeup, eat my McDonald's, text or play Pokemon while I drive. It's my constitutional right... ::)

Germans on the other hand are very aware of the common courtesy road rules. They adhere to them strictly. They also enjoy driving and take it seriously so you bet the drivers on that autobahn are not distracted. They are there to drive. Right lane slow lane. Left lane fast lane or pass lane only. Someone is coming up fast behind you, that person will move right so you can pass. Common courtesy.

So German autobahn rules will never work here. The German driving test is also one of the most difficult in the world so half our drivers wouldn't be able to pass it.

My only contention with the autobahn because I did a euro delivery last year and drove 150mph on it is that it can be extremely dangerous due to it only being a 2 lane highway for a large portion of it. I was flying at 155mph, straight shot and a guy about 2 miles ahead was trying to pass on the left. Problem was he was passing only at about 80 and my beast of a machine was flying at double the speed. He was able to swerve back to the right lane quick and my massive brakes kept me from ramming him. But at those speeds a collision means death. So the 2 lane thing with unlimited speeds can be a disaster even with the excellent German drivers. Imagine that set up here?? There will be a lot of dead drivers on the road.

lnc said:
MagicJ1zz said:
a car going 5mph slower than average has a GREATER chance of accident than one going 5MPH faster

This!!

Not just on freeways, this also applies to local street as well.  Wish there's more public awareness about this.  Slow drivers,  please move to the right. 

More on that video OP posted.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/videos/a30568/stay-right-except-to-pass/
On the freeway, I fully agree, however, on actual streets, this logic doesn't apply, people in the right lanes might be in the right lane because they are turning right shortly and similarly, people in the left lane might be in the left lane because they will be turning left.  You can not literally just say, fast drivers drive in the left lane and slow people drive in the left lane when those slow drivers might need to turn left and thus make lane changes. 

Back