Piedmont - Options suggestion

yes2

In Contract to Purchase a Piedmont Model 2 - So the search is behind me now, next up the options.

Considering the available options I have, looking for suggestions from the experts.

1. Solar - 8 panels output of 3k annual, cost me $14k with 30% tax rebate - Is it worth it?
2. Whole House insulation - It is sound proof insulation not energy efficiency improvement - about $2k - is it worth it?
3. Recommendations of other options such as Kitchen Counter top, Reverse osmosis, water softener, bath tile/counter upgrades - what options are better to go with builder?
4. Flooring - Is it better to get it done after close?

Thanks for your input.

I would totally put money into sound insulation. You never know if you have noisy neighbors so  sound proofing them out will give you peace of mind. totally worth the money.  The flooring you can do after close.  The other options are up to you, but I chose counter top and bath upgrades  with the builder

Is it possible to get a listing of the options and prices? I was thinking about buying but hard to know the out the door price with options you want.

IrvineBruin said:
Is it possible to get a listing of the options and prices? I was thinking about buying but hard to know the out the door price with options you want.

The IP will provide the price list of upgrade options to the home buyer once they sign the contract.  However the price list does not includes some of major options like countertop, backsplash, flooring etc since theses items are size and material specific and the design center need to calculated these items  individually for you.

The sale office might have price info on some of common items people frequently ask like conservatory options or shower instead of tub etc.  However the sale office will not have a lot of info sine the upgrades are handle by the design center and that option list is like over 40 pages long. 

Maybe some of Piedmond buyers here on TI already in the buying process can provide these info for you. 

IrvineBruin said:
I tried that when I was looking to buy my place and IPAC and most builders wouldn't give much anything until you at a minimum put down a deposit. I personally thought it was ridiculous as I wanted to be able to have a better gauge for what things cost so I had better perspective before I plopped down a deposit. Some exceptions (as I was going through the evaluating process) were Toll Brothers (who was extremely accommodating and the Ipac people at Strada who tried to help a bit, but had very very limited information).  Other builders could give a good idea (as long as you went during a weekday or they weren't busy...need to always respect how much you dig when the offices are crowded) based upon some preplotted items or what they saw. 

To be honest, when I started my process to find a new home, I was pretty surprised they wouldn't have this information (at least for the standard stuff) available. You understand that with flooring and countertops, stuff is more unique, but still, even for countertops and bathrooms, in most cases they have different "levels" so you can at least get an idea of what it would roughly cost to make various improvements.  I think they should show it, but maybe the fear is it would scare people off?  I prefer transparency.

The pricing for structural options such as solar, bedroom/den/ bi-fold doors is known as they provide it at time of deposit. The pricing for conunter tops/floor options is not known as that options are design center specific. Once you execute the contract they provide access to the design website that provides pricing of options such as speaker system, sink upgrade, cabinet upgrade etc.

I have to decide in the next few days if Solar is an option I should go with, have about a month time to think of all other options.
I am planning to not spend more than 20-30k on options.

Solar is Sunpower?
There's a thread on solar, I believe gasman mentioned something with the lg/enphase combo cost about or even less than $3.5 per kW pricing from memory before tax rebates, have to dig up that link...

My suggestion:

1. Insulation is needed and it only cost around 2K.
2. LED package is not bad and if you do all bedrooms, it will cost around 5K.
3. Your budget on upgrade is around 20K-30K. Then next step should be bath/kitchen. I would like to do some upgrade on bath/kitchen
  counter top. Shower wall liner and back splash can also be added to match with counter top.
    Upgrade all of counter tops to quartz may cost like 10-15K, you can just let them to extend the counter top to back splash with same kind of quartz. It will save you some money.
4. Leave floor to third party after COE.

You will end up with less 30K and that will be tasteful upgrade.

Nice to see you, neighbors.

yes2 said:
The pricing for structural options such as solar, bedroom/den/ bi-fold doors is known as they provide it at time of deposit. The pricing for conunter tops/floor options is not known as that options are design center specific. Once you execute the contract they provide access to the design website that provides pricing of options such as speaker system, sink upgrade, cabinet upgrade etc.

I have to decide in the next few days if Solar is an option I should go with, have about a month time to think of all other options.
I am planning to not spend more than 20-30k on options.

Posting some of prices on stage1 options

$1043 - Falsken Reverse Osmosis System Model # R05-35 *Includes Falsken "Long Reach" Brushed Nickel Spout Model # FAL-QMP-BN-102C

$181 - Optional 24" Frameless Medicine Cabinets With Beveled Edge In Bathroom 3 * Includes 1 Cabinet With 6 Adjustable Shelves. Medicine Cabinet is now an option?

$3564 - Upgrade Cabinets to Maple Recessed Door #382 Throughout *Includes All Cabinets Throughout House Chestnut Brown Sugar Root Beer Fruitwood Smoke *Please Specify Finish

$481 - Ceiling Fan Pre-Wire With (1) Caseta Switch + (1) Caseta Dimmer - The Switch for the light is code required to be a dimmer (For Rooms Without Standard Ceiling Fixtures - For Future Fan/Lighting Combination) * Switch To Be Located Next To Existing Switches * Note: The Maximum Weight Limit Of A Future Fan/Light Fixture Should Not Exceed 50 Pounds - Select this for 4 areas there goes 2k:(

$306 - Interior Light Fixture Pre-Wire for Ceiling Mount Light Fixture With (1) Caseta Pro Dimmer Switch - Code Required to be a Dimmer *This can be used for Hanging or Ceiling Mount Fixture * Switch To Be Located Next To Existing Switches * Note: The Maximum Weight Limit Of A Future Ceiling Mount Light Fixture Should Not Exceed 50 Pounds

$350 - Install Plumbing Supply Line Loop for Future After-Market Water Softener *This option is necessary for any water softener that is not purchased through Irvine Pacific *Includes tamper proof outlet on a dedicated circuit

$588 - 2" Flex Tube Conduit for Future Flat Panel Pre-Wire *This option includes 1 Recessed Single Outlet at 65" AFF and 1 Quad Receptacle at Standard Electrical Height. Includes: 2" Conduit Contains No Wires Conduit Is To Provide A Pathway For Future Wires * Conduit Must Start And End In The Same Room * Includes (1) Recessed Single Outlet and (1) Quad Outlet *Must Select TV Outlet Separately Unless TV Outlet is at a Standard Location (Please Refer to Architectural Plans for Standard TV Outlet Locations)

$980 - 7.1 Surround Sound Prewire Includes pre-wire for 7 in-ceiling speakers Includes pre-wire for subwoofer

$119 - (1) Universal Outlet (TV and Data Jack) Includes (1) RG-6 and (1) CAT-5

$322 - DSS Satellite Pre-wire *Pre-Wire Will Be Terminated Behind a Blank Plate 

$1192 - Recessed Light Package - (4) 4" LED High Efficiency Lights with (1) Caseta Dimmer  EL-S3EL-0951        - $1220 per room for recessed, there goes 5k per 4 beds:)

Now for the advise, based on warranty void concern.
1.Reverse osmosis - piercing the counter top voids the warranty. Is this an item that is more apt for post close and would there be a concern for counter top?
2. Fan Prewire - I called an electrician and they quoted about $200 for pre-wire only.
I may able to get lower price. Should I pay the builder and get it done to avoid any electric issues that void warranty?
3. Recessed lights - Same as Fan prewire, I may able to get better pricing after close but any issues with electric function/warranty?
4. Is it worth to do surround sound pre-wire in great room or just pass and do post close as needed?
5. Cabinets - The standard is white Thermofoil shaker cabinets, the next least option starts at 3.5k - Should go for it?

Thanks for the time reading and advise.

Interesting, I guess this is how builders increase margins in a hotter market, some of those items would have been included any other time, eg. medicine cabinet, flat panel pre wire, etc.

All those prewirirings and plumbings are worthwhile to do with the builder, I would make them a priority if you are going to get them anyway.

I'm new to Irvine.  Just purchased a Piedmont 1 and hope to get some advice on interior upgrades.

1. Flooring - Is it worth to do w/ 3rd party after COE? I haven't gone thru the design center quote, wondering approx. how much saving w/ 3rd party if I do engineering wood through out except travertine for the bath flooring?

2. Some options like closets organizers there is no standard offered, the builder charges basic hanging and shelving, does that mean I have to go with at least the basic?

3. Addt'l electrical outlet (s) - is it normally needed?

4. Water softener system - builder charges $3k, would you recommend to go w/ 3rd party given there are pipelines which could complicate the installation?

5. Recessed lights - do you recommend to just do the pre-wire and use 3rd party?

Thanks for your time and advice. ;D

Flooring - I will most likely do after close
Closets - after move in with third party
Electrical - only opted for fan prewire, not doing recessed lights with builder
Water softener - will get after move in, get the water softener plumbing provision about $350

Is it worth to go with the security/alarm upgrade with the builder? Or put in after with the 3rd party? 

The security system upgrade with builder costs $2.5K (with door and windows and first year monitoring included), but it requires another 2 year monitoring contract after the first year expires.  Thanks.

Decline it. As it is Irvine's pretty safe. It's not like we live in Santa Ana. But if u absolutely paranoid about the safety, do it after close. Much cheaper.

Hi,

Does anyone choose to go with the builder's interior paint upgrade?  I initially selected the paint upgrade but now am having a 2nd thought, reason being builder charged $3K but only offers one tone, versus 3rd party can probably do the same price but with more tones to my selection.  Any suggestion?

Thank you! 

Paint is the easiest and cheaper to do after close.

Flooring is 50/50, some design centers have "specials" on flooring that is on par with 3rd party pricing.

Electrical/plumbing you should probably do with builder.

Most everything else that is cosmetic or isn't structural is cheaper outside.

The TI meme for should-do upgrades is "cans and fans".

ocbird said:
definitely pay 2k to sound proof your home

Regarding Sound Proofing - It's only for the interior of the house as I was told by the sales ppl. They said he exterior walls are sound proofed already. Just for interior walls, wondering why pay 2k?

Back