Golden west shutters vs Orange County Shutters

yoyo2012

How do they compare? From reading the multiple threads here, it sounds like Golden west has a slight edge in quality. However, most threads say that Orange county shutters don't manufacture their shutters locally which they seem to do according to their owner. Am I missing something?

I got quotes from both and Orange County Shutters seem a little higher actually.

yoyo2012 said:
How do they compare? From reading the multiple threads here, it sounds like Golden west has a slight edge in quality. However, most threads say that Orange county shutters don't manufacture their shutters locally which they seem to do according to their owner. Am I missing something?

I got quotes from both and Orange County Shutters seem a little higher actually.

interesting. We went with OC shutters because they were more reasonably priced than Golden West. But I heard Golden West has a little better quality. So if GW is cheaper go with them. We had a good experience with OC shutters though - no issues so far and I love my shutters. I've had them now for over a year.

We went with Golden West Shutters because of the local manufacturing and the price which came in slightly under Orange County Shutters.  The customer service of Golden West seems to be above par as well.

What I did like about Orange County Shutters was that they used magnets to lock the shutters.

aquabliss said:
I recommend you check Bella Blinds:https://www.yelp.com/biz/bella-blinds-laguna-niguel-2

You work directly with the owner / Derek, he knows allllll about shades/blinds/shutters/you name it.  Pricing is reasonable and quality is good.  He uses sunland poly shutters, can do clearview or with rod, split or 1 louvre.

I actually had a quote from Derek from Bella blinds and he seems pretty awesome. We were very impressed but he seems to really only do the full poly shutters while we are leaning for wood framing with poly louvers. I would definitely use him if we decided to go with full poly.

Golden West does good shutters but they are usually more expensive than others.  If you get a good price quote with Golden West, go for it.

I have Golden West shutters on my home and pretty happy with their shutters.  Also around the time when I use them, they also did the shutters for Mulberry and Magnolia's model home at CV. 

aquabliss said:
I recommend you check Bella Blinds:https://www.yelp.com/biz/bella-blinds-laguna-niguel-2

You work directly with the owner / Derek, he knows allllll about shades/blinds/shutters/you name it.  Pricing is reasonable and quality is good.  He uses sunland poly shutters, can do clearview or with rod, split or 1 louvre.
Thanks for the tip and good reviews on Yelp, old coworker I saw used them recently.

We just got a quote and going with Bella Blinds, very knowledgeable and nice guy. Like that he does it from estimate to install. 3.5" louvers, split tilt rods (no divider rail for the large picture window) at 1/3 on the top for most windows,all bass wood to match existing plantations on the rest of the house. Previous owner did maybe only 70% of the house and we're doing the falling apart jenky ones left. He suggested matching the current plantations since they look great and will look cohesive. Local manufacturer, 4-5 weeks wait to make. Our pricing includes removal if the existing frames and shutters and whatever patching needed. In the $20-$25/sq ft for everything for all wood, not bad.

We probably would have gone vinyl or composite had all other shutters in house not existed/were not already wood, but it will look nice. Looking forward to how it comes out.

We chose to buy our shutters from Orange County Shutters. They did a great job and had the best quality and price. I found after doing a comparison in quality from multiple companies that not all shutters are made the same. They took the time to show me the difference between the quality of Golden West, Orange County Shutters, and a few others. I am not sure what the person who started the feed got pricing for, but the prices from Orange County Shutters were the lowest by far. That is why I have used them on two of my houses and several of my family members have used them as well. They even gave me some paper temp shades for free. All in all great product, best price, awesome customer service. A+  Orange County Shutters

Got our blinds in from Derek at Bella Blinds, very happy with them. Removed old shutters and installed all new basswood, 3.5" louvers, and mix of 1/2 split and 1/3 split openings.

Attachments

• Blinds3.jpg
    Blinds3.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 306
  • Blinds4.jpg
    Blinds4.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 315
jumpinjacks said:
Got our blinds in from Derek at Bella Blinds, very happy with them. Removed old shutters and installed all new basswood, 3.5" louvers, and mix of 1/2 split and 1/3 split openings.

What was wrong with your old shutters?  I'm thinking about changing a few shutters that have the louvers exposed to ones that are hidden.  Hopefully it's much cheaper since the frame around the shutter is still in tact.

What was the price per sqft you guys ended up paying for those shutters?  The best quote I've gotten from a local manufacturer/installer was $12.50.  Everything made at their factory in Ontario and the quality seems great!

Homer_Simpson said:
What was the price per sqft you guys ended up paying for those shutters?  The best quote I've gotten from a local manufacturer/installer was $12.50.  Everything made at their factory in Ontario and the quality seems great!

You have to give to take.

Name of your local company? $12.50/sft is cheeeeeeaaap!

I think we used Windecor... I forgot how much we paid it was a while ago.

irvinehomeowner said:
Homer_Simpson said:

I'll let you know how it goes for our new build.  I've seen the quality in some of my neighbors homes and it's really well made and installed.

My neighbor is still surprised about the pricing because it was about a buck cheaper than what they got.  Window Decorators couldn't touch this price. 

PM me.

Homer_Simpson said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Homer_Simpson said:

I'll let you know how it goes for our new build.  I've seen the quality in some of my neighbors homes and it's really well made and installed.

My neighbor is still surprised about the pricing because it was about a buck cheaper than what they got.  Window Decorators couldn't touch this price. 

PM me.

Windows Decorators couldn't touch the price.. but if you were looking to do Romans and other things.. the overall price is still very good with them and they've been vetted.

woodburyowner said:
jumpinjacks said:

What was wrong with your old shutters?  I'm thinking about changing a few shutters that have the louvers exposed to ones that are hidden.  Hopefully it's much cheaper since the frame around the shutter is still in tact.

The old shutters were at least 20 years old, totally not salvageable.They didn't fit in the frames and were maybe 1" louvers. Half the home was upgraded with the 3.5" plantation shutters maybe 7 years ago and we just replaced these really old ones to match the rest of the home.

With demo of old, it was in the $20-$25/sq ft range but they are all basswood (since existing in home also all wood), local company. He ended up installing along with the guy that actually made our shutters. With the scribbles on our quote sheet though not 100% sure if I have the sq ft right or that was just the window dimensions themselves to get exact price per sq ft.

I had OC shutters (all poly) in my last home and GW is going to install in my current home.
I'm happy with the quality of OC shutters. I went with GW this time due to the following reasons:

- GW was slightly cheaper this time
- OC shutters no longer carries poly. I really didn't want wood in the bathrooms, so I went with GW (will have poly in bathrooms and wood rest of the house). GW's poly shutters are the same price as the wood ones, so maybe it's not a good price... But supposedly its much better than the other polys on the  market (according to the owner, of course)
- The estimated turnaround is shorter with GW

I also called Bella blinds a while back but they were on vacation for a month. However I might use them for other kind of shades, now that they've returned.

Homer_Simpson said:
Let us know if this vendor is any good. I know it can be had <$20, but $12.50 is indeed cheap!  I know someone in the Ontario area who may be looking at some window shutter options next year

Back