Los Altos, Cambria, Helena

mikebruin

Hopefully this is a simple question with a simple answer.  I'm looking at these attached homes, and they look like townhomes to me, but I think in official paperwork (loans/appraisals) they may be referred to as condos.  Any reason that might be the case?

I'm thinking it has to do with HOA owning and taking care of the front of the units and maybe the roof?  I don't suppose it's due to anything structure wise (no neighbors above/below in these units).

You are right about the HOA thing. 

They are consider as attached condo because the exterior and common area maintenance are take care by HOA instead of the home owner which is similar to condos.  Hence 2 HOA fees, one for the master community and one for the condo.  In a townhouse (attached SFR), homeowner are responsible for all exterior maintenance and there will be no additional HOA fee except the one for the master community. 

I guess we can call them "townhouse style" attached condo since structurally, they are townhouse but attached condo in practice.

lnc said:
You are right about the HOA thing. 

They are consider as attached condo because the exterior and common area maintenance are take care by HOA instead of the home owner which is similar to condos.  Hence 2 HOA fees, one for the master community and one for the condo.  In a townhouse (attached SFR), homeowner are responsible for all exterior maintenance and there will be no additional HOA fee except the one for the master community. 

I guess we can call them "townhouse style" attached condo since structurally, they are townhouse but attached condo in practice.

That explains it perfectly.  Thank you!

Here's the way that I think about it....all townhomes are condos but not all condos are townhomes.  For me, a townhome is where you have no one above or below you and you have an attached wall or walls to another unit.  With attached properties, the sub-HOA will cover all of the exterior painting/maintenance, roof, termite repairs, common area maintenance, and all landscaping not in a private yard.  Also, some sub-HOAs also include the lender required walls-in/betterment coverage with their master policy (it's a 50/50 chance they do).  You do get hit with an extra fee on the loan if your LTV is 75.01% to 80%. 

Back