Columbus Grove Pros & Cons

e26green

Hello,

I am considering buying a single family home (~2500-3000 SF) in Columbus Grove, and was wondering if there are any Columbus Grove residents here that can offer any guidance about the pros and cons of living there.

Thank you!

e26green said:
Hello,

I am considering buying a single family home (~2500-3000 SF) in Columbus Grove, and was wondering if there are any Columbus Grove residents here that can offer any guidance about the pros and cons of living there.

Thank you!

Are you considering the Irvine side (south of Warner) or the Tustin side (south of Warner)?  Both areas have high mello roos and some homes are close to the power lines.  The homes on the Tustin side that are close to Jamboree will hear the street noise.  Location is very central in smaller communities. 

Thank you USCTrojanCPA for the reply.

Those are all good considerations. We're looking at the Tustin side. The Mello Roos is incredibly high, but the houses are unlike anywhere else in Irvine that we've seen. Modern, unique, large, etc.

We are definitely aware of the power lines and Jamboree - looking to stay in within the middle of the community. The central location is excellent for us too.

excellent location (though this is subjective) - if you work in irvine by the airport you are 10 minutes away. if you work by the spectrum you are 10-15 minutes away. if you work in north orange county you are going against traffic. the district, marketplace and southcoast plaza are all nearby.

while you are on the tustin side you get irvine schools. you get more bang for your buck because of the real/perceived negatives about the proximity to Jamboree/power lines/waste management.

i live in columbus square - one of the main reasons we bought here was the central location. the 5/405/55 are all nearby but far enough where freeway noise isnt an issue. the proximity to the district/market place/SCP was also big plus.

We almost bought there but got out bid big time. We have some family that live there and it would have been excellent.

Unfortunately did not work out.

We like the central location, cleanliness of the neighborhood but most importantly location.

It's a bit noisy when you get closer to the train tracks and you might not get the IUSD but the price is pretty good and at a good discount to most of Irvine.

We might look at it again if any good ones are back for sale.

We live in a townhouse on the Tustin side, absolutely love the location! Not too many people can claim that they live close to 2 Targets and Costco's. We spoke to our neighbor next door and we both would have loved to upgrade to a SFH within the community in the future. I feel that Columbus Grove is a bit of a hidden gem and it is not very well known outside of TalkIrvine. Regarding mello roos, unless you end up in an older community with no mello roos, the incremental cost on property tax is not that substantially higher.

e26green said:
Thank you USCTrojanCPA for the reply.

Those are all good considerations. We're looking at the Tustin side. The Mello Roos is incredibly high, but the houses are unlike anywhere else in Irvine that we've seen. Modern, unique, large, etc.

We are definitely aware of the power lines and Jamboree - looking to stay in within the middle of the community. The central location is excellent for us too.

I helped a buyer buy a single family home in the neighborhood and they love it over there.  The price per SF was a lower than Westpark which is next door plus even though it's in the city of Tustin the area is zoned to Irvine schools.  It was those things and the central location that sold them on the community.  Good luck on your search.

I've lived on the Tustin side since 2007. I love the neighborhood. Very quiet and the perceived negatives are not an issue. I rarely hear the trains, don't notice the power lines or the noise from jamboree. Maybe I'm just used to it now, but I do live in the center near the clubhouse.

The location can't be beat. Central to everything.

This may be a negative for some, but there is no street parking allowed without permit so the neighborhood seems much more spacious and less dense.

The mello Roos is a big negative. Higher than any other neighborhood. I pay 9k a year.

I have started looking at all the new developments to upgrade but I always think about how far the new neighborhoods are to my favorite restaurants and shopping centers and wonder if I should move.

Of course, if I had a time machine, I would've bought at turtle ridge instead. :)

Martin, I might need your services soon.

Rtlguru said:
I've lived on the Tustin side since 2007. I love the neighborhood. Very quiet and the perceived negatives are not an issue. I rarely hear the trains, don't notice the power lines or the noise from jamboree. Maybe I'm just used to it now, but I do live in the center near the clubhouse.

The location can't be beat. Central to everything.

This may be a negative for some, but there is no street parking allowed without permit so the neighborhood seems much more spacious and less dense.

The mello Roos is a big negative. Higher than any other neighborhood. I pay 9k a year.

I have started looking at all the new developments to upgrade but I always think about how far the new neighborhoods are to my favorite restaurants and shopping centers and wonder if I should move.

Of course, if I had a time machine, I would've bought at turtle ridge instead. :)

Martin, I might need your services soon.

You know how to get a hold of me.  ;)

Back