Bell Tower Barber Shop

Wobert

This is slightly off topic but I know a lot of Irvine folks drive a little down the fwy to get their hair cut here. I was just wondering if any of you had some good recommendations for who to get here.

I've been there a few times and half the time I got butchered and the other half I got a decent cut. So aside from the owners and family members (Mike, Gene, and Lily), who else is good? I also liked the white rocker looking guy with tattoos but haven't seen him the last few times, and there's a Vietnamese lady who looks like she's in her early 40s also with tattoos who was good too. Don't know either of their names. Any other recommendations?

I actually don't like the twins, they always rush and don't blend well, same with their sister.  Smoky fingers at the first chair should be avoided.  White rocker guy is gone I believe, the Viet lady at his old chair is ok, but cuts too cautiously for my taste.  The new white lady seems good, saw her cut an Asian guys hair and it was pretty smooth.  My guy is next to one of the twins closer to the sister.

Unlike ps9, I prefer the twins.

I've been getting my haircut from them for years. I like their quickness and have never had a bad "blend".

ps9's guy is pretty good too, he looks like a taller, skinnier Jackie Chan.

They guy in front of Gene in the middle in also decent.

So from what I'm hearing, the guys on either side of Gene are recommended. Good to know since I often see those guys sitting around twiddling their thumbs so was afraid to try them. How about the younger Vietnamese girl at the far end opposite Lily? She seems popular but never had her.

I always try to get the haircut from the twins and the guy right next to the twins.  I like all three of them.

I just go there cause there's usually never a wait and you don't need to have an appointment ahead of time. I just use whoever is free.

Happiness said:
I'm astounded that all these TI ballers with their luxury homes and exotic cars all go to Lake Forest for an $8 haircut.
That's not me.

I'm a 99%er with a minivan who can't afford $20 haircuts.

irvinehomeowner said:
Happiness said:
I'm astounded that all these TI ballers with their luxury homes and exotic cars all go to Lake Forest for an $8 haircut.
That's not me.

I'm a 99%er with a minivan who can't afford $20 haircuts.
Richer then me, my haircuts are done at home. 

Happiness said:
That's pretty typical, as lots of other threads on this site have discussed.

A $20 cut doesn't mean it's better than a $8 cut.  I found a barber where I can just go in make eye contact, nod, sit down, close my eyes, and be free from the world (no Pokemon) for 15 minutes, nice to getaway once in awhile.  And I tip $5 for a $9 cut.  And usually $20 near Christmas.  A good barber is invaluable. 

Use to go to Philip at Barbo, but he was always too busy. 

Wobert said:
Happiness said:
That's pretty typical, as lots of other threads on this site have discussed.

Ballin on a budget! don't hate the playa, hate the game.

irvinehomeowner said:
Unlike ps9, I prefer the twins.

I've been getting my haircut from them for years. I like their quickness and have never had a bad "blend".

ps9's guy is pretty good too, he looks like a taller, skinnier Jackie Chan.

They guy in front of Gene in the middle in also decent.

wow! Can't believe those guys are still there. I used to go to them all the time in high school. That was a longgggggg time ago too.

I would get cuts by the grandma most of the time because I didn't want to wait for the brothers. Is she still there?

ps9 said:
I actually don't like the twins, they always rush and don't blend well, same with their sister.  Smoky fingers at the first chair should be avoided.  White rocker guy is gone I believe, the Viet lady at his old chair is ok, but cuts too cautiously for my taste.  The new white lady seems good, saw her cut an Asian guys hair and it was pretty smooth.  My guy is next to one of the twins closer to the sister.

I actually like the smoky fingers guy in the first chair (although I think he's moved to another station in the past few weeks). He's the only one who knows how to do a proper fade with a shave on the sides. When I say shave I mean shave, not a zero blade. I hate the smell of cigarette smoke but put up with it for 20 min for a good haircut. I almost stopped going to Bell Tower until I found him because none of the others could do a proper fade.

Both Gene and Mike were a 3-person wait yesterday so I went to PS9's guy (don't remember his name).

He actually took a long time, trimming and re-trimming... even after he took off the barber-shawl. Pretty good cut but I'm used to the twins faster style.

It's interesting because the two non-Asian barbers weren't there... felt like a nail salon. :)

Well, smokeyfingers is gone, the only guy who knew how to do a fade there.

A few weeks back, I went in for my regular fade. He wasn't there. I asked if he was on vacation or if he just had the day off. They said he went on vacation. Great, when will he be back, I asked. They said "we're not sure he's coming back, we're probably going to let him go."

Very weird.

Anyways, I went back a couple days ago, and asked for my regular fade: 3 on top, shaved side, high fade. The woman said she doesn't have an electric razor to use (wtf?). I asked if anyone else did. Only 1 apparently. Even though their sign says "electronic shave". The guy who ended up doing my haircut did a poor job (my opinion), then he rang up $10, even though the price listed for a fade is $9. I know, not a big deal, but don't list one price and then charge me another.

Damn, lost myself a good barber, now it'll be hit and miss, at best.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11079255-r...ippers-hair-trimmers-clippers-13-pieces-28-49

Gonna cut my own hair!  wish me luck lol

and btw, go at your own risk to Greater Clips in Tustin District, near the new Stater Bros... got cheap and used the coupon they keep mailing you.. had the worst clipper/razor burn ever.. my skin was on fire for a few days.. not sure if I got an inexperienced cosmetologist (?) or they used dirty clippers.  And it took her over an hour to cut my hair... bell town barber or bust... or I cut my own.

Back