Window Treatments for $2500 Charged by Builder: 3rd Party Options are Cheaper?

dream16

Hey Guys, my builder charged me $2500 for installing window treatments in my newly built condo in Portola Springs (one of those infamous tri-level tandom garage ones) 1600 square feet. I was told and also thought earlier that getting it done independently might be cheaper. However, i was frustrated, tired and over exhausted with the escrow process and other ongoing stress, that i decided to just have the builder do it.

I just wanted to get an idea from you folks of your experience with 3rd party installers. Is it worth the hassle and do you get considerable savings?

Don't know what kind of window treatments you're selecting, but the rule of thumb is to get that and flooring done by a 3rd party b/c the builder marks up the cost significantly.  Also, when done by the builder, the cost is built into your final purchase price, which will increase your annual property taxes.  The only benefit (as minor as it is) is that you can finance the purchase as part of your mortgage.

paydawg said:
Don't know what kind of window treatments you're selecting, but the rule of thumb is to get that and flooring done by a 3rd party b/c the builder marks up the cost significantly.  Also, when done by the builder, the cost is built into your final purchase price, which will increase your annual property taxes.  The only benefit (as minor as it is) is that you can finance the purchase as part of your mortgage.

Wish i would have realized that earlier but then $2500 is practically nothing when it comes to property taxes when we are talking loan worth 430k and above. However the builder's catch is: you can only get FLOOR upgrades through them or the HOA will create a big deal about it if you want to do 3rd party later.

That is the first time I have heard about that. You aren't allowed to get flooring through a third party? That doesn't sound right...

How you like living there by the way?

We were pretty close to considering one since we liked a few things about the floor plan. But ended up picking something else for a little more.

Stacked/attached condos have some restrictions on flooring. But it's not THAT difficult to change later. Generally the installer has to be insured and the flooring has to be approved (adequate soundproofing, etc)

cheetos said:
Stacked/attached condos have some restrictions on flooring. But it's not THAT difficult to change later. Generally the installer has to be insured and the flooring has to be approved (adequate soundproofing, etc)

Oh ok, well i was a 1st time buyer and did not know much about what can be done by a 3rd party as the sales lady simply said, you only get to do the flooring upgrades through us and i didn't cross question her as i was under a time crunch to get the escrow closing and other ongoing things etc. However, i do feel i did pay an extra $4-5k atleast if i think of all the upgrades i got through the builder

B2FiNiTY said:
That is the first time I have heard about that. You aren't allowed to get flooring through a third party? That doesn't sound right...

How you like living there by the way?

We were pretty close to considering one since we liked a few things about the floor plan. But ended up picking something else for a little more.

I think you did a good move by not doing the Tri-level (unless you are a serious fitness junkie and walking up & down those stairs is a breeze) , its more like a starter home for me, definitely not something in which i can expand my family or call it a permanent home for more than 3 years, so i would keep it as a rental and will eventually get a single family home in the next couple of years (the lowest price tag i saw last in there was around $900K), but i guess i also need to decide between if i want all my purchases to be just in one city i.e. Irvine or should i look at buying something closer to LA as that's where i used to live (Pasadena), but then there comes the catch of good schools versus a big house trade-off especially when you are on a max budget of a $1m, so there are some tough decisions to be done.

Pros of what i bought:
1. Has rental value
2. Close to Woodbury Town Center (if you don't mind the 1.5 mile walk) lol
3. Brand New built
4. Floor Plan is spacious (especially the 2nd floor): some of my friends with bigger condo's apparently liked the layout of open L shaped kitchen in this layout more than what they paid for in their more expensive condo's. Kitchen pretty much won the hearts of potential tenants (ladies) as well.
5. High Ceilings gives a big spacious feel
6. Plenty of lightning in living area
7. Street parking right outside at your doorstep

Cons:
1. It is tri-level : lots of stairs: a trip from garage to your bedroom is a workout
2. Tandem Garage : is clumsy - too small - parking an SUV in there can be a nightmare and the same goes for any wide-bodied coupes (think SLS AMG or Audi R8)
3. No views
4. THIN Shared Walls: Practically ZERO sound insulation
5. Poor Sound Insulation on floor as well: imagine next door neighbor ringing your bell and asking if you were running in your living room. Lol, because your living room floor is their ceiling and all you were doing was walking.

Thanks for your feedback.

Your experience is what we were expecting. It definitely is a pretty decent starter home in a good location.

B2FiNiTY said:
Thanks for your feedback.

Your experience is what we were expecting. It definitely is a pretty decent starter home in a good location.

Good location, according to?

How many windows was that for, and what kind of treatment--drapes, shutters, blinds?

dream16 said:
Hey Guys, my builder charged me $2500 for installing window treatments in my newly built condo in Portola Springs (one of those infamous tri-level tandom garage ones) 1600 square feet. I was told and also thought earlier that getting it done independently might be cheaper. However, i was frustrated, tired and over exhausted with the escrow process and other ongoing stress, that i decided to just have the builder do it.

I just wanted to get an idea from you folks of your experience with 3rd party installers. Is it worth the hassle and do you get considerable savings?

Just thick blinds i guess 7-8 windows and 1 sliding door blind or whatever its called.

NewToNewport said:
How many windows was that for, and what kind of treatment--drapes, shutters, blinds?

dream16 said:

You paid 2500 for blinds?

dream16 said:
Just thick blinds i guess 7-8 windows and 1 sliding door blind or whatever its called.

NewToNewport said:

dream16 said:

:-X :-\ :'( yes sir i did

eyephone said:

dream16 said:

NewToNewport said:

dream16 said:

Sounds pricy if basic blinds.

dream16 said:
:-X :-\ :'( yes sir i did

eyephone said:

dream16 said:

NewToNewport said:

dream16 said:

It does sound high, but at least since the builder installed, it'll be covered under their warranty so easier to repair/replace if something malfunctions.
Our builder is charging about $150/blind and average of $400/shutters (although larger windows up to $1200).

Back