speeding, racing car during normal traffic hour 7pm on sand canyon

ocbird

2 bmws racing their cars at 7pm  down sand canyon.  All other cars were driving safely around 45 mph these cars were going 80mph , I almost passed out when the car approached right behind me at deadly speed then immediately weaved in front of another car on my left lane.  I notice eventually they went into woodbury town center.  Dark navy bmws x5.  they will kill someone someday.  I almost passed out , I have 2  four year old kids in my mini van. 

I see this like once a week.  Not that it makes it right, but I guess I've gotten used to it to the point it doesn't surprise me anymore.

sand canyon and portola used to be the hot spot to race since the speed limit was 60.

I guess those days aren't entirely gone even with the houses all up  >:D

Compressed-Village said:
Irvine cops need to be more visible in these area. If we all call and raise concerns, we should not have to get use to these type of behaviors.

So it's the cops fault and not the fault of the drivers?

I'm not sure if you know that there are many people that drive fast in the US.

What's your solution, install cameras, hire more cops to stop a few people that drive fast, involve the Feds to help track down the speeder?

A lot of Irvine residents  are people with young families. We pride ourselves living in a safe community and pay top dollar to live here, we don't deserve to be victims of careless driving, be it racing and people on pokemon go hunts.  Reckless driving can be minimized if enough residents make a concern report to Irvine PD

ocbird said:
A lot of Irvine residents  are people with young families. We pride ourselves living in a safe community and pay top dollar to live here, we don't deserve to be victims of careless driving, be it racing and people on pokemon go hunts.  Reckless driving can be minimized if enough residents make a concern report to Irvine PD

Seems like the cemetery is a bigger issue. Ha
So you want to regulate Pokemon go?
So are you suggesting speed cameras? (They have this in the state of Maryland)

there are a couple of very unpopular options that can remedy speeding, one is have roundabouts on the intersections, unless you have a deathwish, not many will speed, look at ridge valley between trabuco and irvine, you're not going to be able to go that fast

another is speed bumps, have you seen any car go 80mph+ hitting a speedbump, i haven't, i'd like to see the end result...

but racing down sand cyn will eventually come to an end, after the police station gets built on trabuca and ridge valley

eyephone said:
ocbird said:

speed cameras possibly or more police patrolling the area. Id hate to see deadly car crash where the victims are a young family .  Im not sure how pokmeon go works, but I understand its contributing to reckless driving

Call or email Officer Mahoney at mmahoney@cityofirvine.org or at (949) 724-7059. He is the area commander and can address your concerns of speeding with increased enforcement in your area.
https://legacy.cityofirvine.org/ipd/geo/portola.asp

My HOA does this all the time. When people are speeding and running stop signs in our hood, HOA gets IPD to send a motorcycle officer to bring the pain.

ocbird said:
eyephone said:
ocbird said:

speed cameras possibly or more police patrolling the area. Id hate to see deadly car crash where the victims are a young family .  Im not sure how pokmeon go works, but I understand its contributing to reckless driving

Big brother?

iacrenter said:
Call or email Officer Mahoney at mmahoney@cityofirvine.org or at (949) 724-7059. He is the area commander and can address your concerns of speeding with increased enforcement in your area.

My HOA does this all the time. When people are speeding and running stop signs in our hood, HOA gets IPD to send a motorcycle officer to bring the pain.

Thank you so much for this information.

ocbird said:
iacrenter said:

Good luck telling people to remove the Pokemon App. Let us know how that goes.

eyephone said:
ocbird said:
iacrenter said:

Good luck telling people to remove the Pokemon App. Let us know how that goes.

Thanks, I just placed my concerned citizen report to Irvine PD.    Talk Irvine is a great forum and I enjoy all the comments here. You guys are the best. I don't like to tell people what to do, I don't have anything against people playing the app or the app itself, Just want everyone to stay safe.

ocbird said:
Irvine PD says they will be on patrol and watch sand canyon area for these hooligans

Now you will see a new thread pop up on TI: "IPD targeting motorists on Sand Canyon"  :)

Yeah..I'm not sure how I feel about this..

I understand where OP is coming from, but to send IPD to stalk and hide in the bushes waiting in a certain area just seems like the wrong answer to this.  I go on sand canyon everyday and I drive a bmw.  You won't see me racing down or doing anything reckless, but I would hate to see a motorcycle with a radar gun just preying on those going 5-7 miles over limit *i'll be the first to admit I do*

This happened also in the stonegate area, there's a very small right turn outside the rental apartments side within stonegate, and a motorcycle was there hiding between 2 cars, making sure everyone stopped for 5 whole seconds.  Call me the devil but I stopped for the normal 3 fulls secs and got pulled over. 

Praying for all local TI residents

Compressed-Village said:
Irvine cops need to be more visible in these area. If we all call and raise concerns, we should not have to get use to these type of behaviors.

Don't do that, I like opening my cars up on Portola (when no one is around).  haha

Back