Get Ready For The Big One

lnc

I guess now is a good time to get your earthquake emergency kits and planning ready.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/san-andreas-fault-movement_us_576a8d37e4b065534f48492c?section=

The San Andreas Fault Is Definitely Showing Signs Of Large-Scale Movement

When the fault line starts rockin?... run for the hills!

New observations confirm that the San Andreas Fault System, the massive tectonic boundary underneath much of California, is showing definite signs of movement, according to a post at the University of Hawaii?s website.

In data collected from the EarthScope Plate Boundary Observatory, a series of hundreds of measuring stations scattered throughout Alaska and the American West, researchers have found evidence of 125-mile-wide ?lobes? of uplift and subsidence ? that is, plates of land moving over and under one another.

Computer models that simulate the San Andreas Fault System have predicted this sort of crustal movement before. This new analysis is significant because it?s showing motion that wasn?t physically identified until now.

acpme said:
This story last year in the New Yorker on Seattle is a great read. It's like a geological thriller. Scared the shizzles out of me.
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

Oh my that article is crazy! But the scariest part is that there's science, truth and logic behind it. We have actually started building 72 hour bug out emergency back packs. Items we can just grab and run for the hills to survive. If there's a massive earthquake I don't imagine we'd be able to live inside our home and make it. We've also seriously started considering buying a true off road SUV. There are only a few of these suvs with true off road capability to drive over destruction. Most suvs out there would be useless in that situation. People should also consider taking a survival class. Good thing my husband got a good dose of that in his military training but if something happens to him during this big disaster we're toast - I might actually consider taking a survival class.

Paris said:
acpme said:
This story last year in the New Yorker on Seattle is a great read. It's like a geological thriller. Scared the shizzles out of me.

Oh my that article is crazy! But the scariest part is that there's science, truth and logic behind it. We have actually started building 72 hour bug out emergency back packs. Items we can just grab and run for the hills to survive. If there's a massive earthquake I don't imagine we'd be able to live inside our home and make it. We've also seriously started considering buying a true off road SUV. There are only a few of these suvs with true off road capability to drive over destruction. Most suvs out there would be useless in that situation. People should also consider taking a survival class. Good thing my husband got a good dose of that in his military training but if something happens to him during this big disaster we're toast - I might actually consider taking a survival class.
http://www.urbanoutdoorskills.com/

Those are nice, but really. If it's a bug out scenario or survival scenario, fermented veggies is the least of your concerns. 

The gangs with guns and knives are.

nosuchreality said:
Those are nice, but really. If it's a bug out scenario or survival scenario, fermented veggies is the least of your concerns. 

The gangs with guns and knives are.

You're unlikely to forage enough food to survive long term, but the wild edible plants will provide valuable vitamins and minerals. Common Dandelions contain vitamins C and B6, thiamin, riboflavin, calcium, iron, potassium, and manganese.  Very rich in beta carotene.

Paris said:
acpme said:

Lol!

You'd have to have your family and that SUV with you, fully gassed up (gas stations likely would have power shut off with lots of lines for what gas they did have).

Assuming that you and your family are located with your gassed up SUV, you'd have to hope that your SUV is still accessible and drivable (anything could happen to it..... a tree or house could fall on it, rendering it dead as the wicked witch of the east),  you'd have to have somewhere to drive TO. With destruction so large where could you go on a tank of gas that wasn't filled up with other people already there?

And with all this damage around and people unable to survive in their houses, you'd have to worry about someone trying to steal that SUV to get away themselves...... maybe u need to store weapons in the vehicle too. And bring lots of cash, ATMs that do work probably would be out of money, not that the stores would have anything left for you to buy.

No doubt whatsoever large destructive quakes are coming but thinking an off road SUV is going to help is probably just a pipe dream.

Me? I'll just pray. In fact so would a whole lot of other people who never said a prayer in their lives.

The best solution is either an airplane or submarine.

Cars will just get stuck on the road.

I know... I've watched tons of zombie and end of the world movies.

I don't believe much in prayer as much as I do a plan when it comes to anything life throws at me. This is why I have home, car, life, short/long term disability, malpractice, umbrella, travel insurance. We are thinking of getting earthquake insurance - the quote we just got was $190/mo with 5% deductible. Anyone out there with earthquake insurance for a comparable?

Yeah it'll be chaos if there's complete destruction but at least if we have some skills, a plan, a get away route on back roads, water, food, and an off road capable SUV - better to have something over prayers. And btw we're fully equipped with weapons - no issues there remember  ;)

BTW another perk of living in orchard hills - plenty of avocados to eat and sustain us and hills we can run up when the tsunamis hit right after that massive earthquake.  ;D

Good luck Newport, shady and turtles. Turtles have higher elevation but with a lot of the homes on the slopes of the hills those homes will be rollin'down.

I hope this is all theory and entertainment and hope we never have to actually experience this in our lifetimes (or our kids' lifetimes).

I'd be more worried about a devastating fire hitting OH than a big earthquake causing damage so bad you'd have to have an offroad SUV to survive.

That was a scary thought at first. I was in Woodbury when there was the massive Santiago Canyon fire 6-7 yrs ago (man, has it been that long??) The flames were towering and got as close as about a mile, to Portola at the NE edge of Stonegate today. Lot of people were at the town center watching, wondering how close it'd get. We packed up our cars and were ready to go. The FD was hovering around the neighborhood.

If you look at the attached, the fire came to the edge of OH but didn't pass over the Loma Ridge into OH. When you look at OH from Google Earth, you can see most of it has been tamed. Much of it being prepped for future homes or had been developed for agriculture. Nature is long gone from OH - most of it is manufactured. Trails snaking all over, hillsides landscaped for irrigation and landslide control to protect the agriculture. Constant flow of activity throughout those hills.

At the top of Loma Ridge is the county emergency command center. It's the command center for disasters, fire, and a 911 call center so its always staffed. Can't see a fire coming over that ridge as Sauron's Eye is ever present.

It was the untamed areas east of the 241 that are tougher to control.

The more developed the area becomes the safer it'll become. Three cheers for density!

Attachments

• Santiago Canyon Fire 2007.gif
    Santiago Canyon Fire 2007.gif
    223 KB · Views: 108
After a SHTF event, the roads are likely to be clogged with people fleeing the area.  If you get out early and fast enough, and know less traveled back roads, you might be able to get away in your car.  If not, then a motorcycle, scooter, moped,  bicycle, or even small ATV will enable you to bypass many traffic situations.

Looking bad-ass:
2013%2F12%2FHow_To_Carry_Absolutely_Anything_On_a_Motorcycle_fea.jpg

Not so bad-ass but affordable.  Stella Automatic, 100+ mpg.  About $2,400 for new (unsold) 2014 model:
stellaauto_ivory.jpg

Theoretically this scooter could get you from LA to SF on 4 gallons of gas.  Not very fast, but good enough if you don't have to go off-road.  Add a "Prima" front and rear luggage rack.  There's also a hook under the seating position to strap a backpack.

I'd put gas can(s) inside luggage then strap to luggage rack for SHTF.  Not recommended or safe under normal conditions, but in SHTF you don't want exposed gas cans outside to give people ideas.  Riding on a scooter itself already give people ideas about knocking you over and taking your scooter, so don't give them even more incentive.

Also, no spare tire, so make sure you carry emergency tire patch/repair kit.  If you can't ride a bike there's also motorized 150cc trike (3 wheeled scooter) option from "Ice Bear" for about the same price, but slightly inferior (70-90 MPG) gas mileage.

The scooter is extremely practical but when SHTF, do you really want to deal with the inevitable Dumb & Dumber jokes?

Imagine the endless "kick his ass, Seabass" or "wanna to hear the most annoying sound in the world?! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!" jokes. You'll rather be dead.

gallery_jim-carry-jeff-daniels-scooter.jpg

How about electric bicycle kit?
Convert your regular bicycle to an electric bicycle.

acpme said:
The scooter is extremely practical but when SHTF, do you really want to deal with the inevitable Dumb & Dumber jokes?

Imagine the endless "kick his ass, Seabass" or "wanna to hear the most annoying sound in the world?! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!" jokes. You'll rather be dead.

gallery_jim-carry-jeff-daniels-scooter.jpg

Yeah but these scooters and motorcycles aren't going to do well with a ton of debris, floods, rocks, broken up roads - how are you driving around that? You need something that can drive over that, can drive off the road to bypass stuff etc. and how am I getting my 72 hour survival kits and my family of four on top of that moped? Am I doing it India style, parents at front/back with kids squished in the middle?? Then where am I fitting the other stuff/ basic supplies?

I still like my off road SUV idea over a motorcycle. Hell we could even use the suv to live inside for shelter if needed.
OH provides avocados for nutrition, hills for elevation to protect against tsunamis and easy access from within onto the 261 toll to get out in a jiffy. I knew there was a reason we bought our home here  ;D

The chance of a quake of that nature causing that much damage where YOU are is very remote. The chance you will have all your family with you in the same place as an offroad capable SUV, completely gassed up and undamged is even lower.

And if there was that much damage, surely there WILL be gas lines broken and fires. I'm sure the local FD will be there to make sure you have a way out of the tinder box or up to the avacados which will absolutely be protected from any local fires.

Be careful you don't get yourself up into the avocado grove just when a aftershock hits and a tree decides to fall and hit ya and in case you decide to venture out from the only place that will survive this big huge quake, watch out for the water from the likely failed local dam (which drains into the Hicks Canyon Wash down the hill from OH).

Everyone has an appointed time to be born and die and nothing you or I do will change that time one bit....... unless you know more than God.

Ready2Downsize said:
The chance of a quake of that nature causing that much damage where YOU are is very remote. The chance you will have all your family with you in the same place as an offroad capable SUV, completely gassed up and undamged is even lower.

And if there was that much damage, surely there WILL be gas lines broken and fires. I'm sure the local FD will be there to make sure you have a way out of the tinder box or up to the avacados which will absolutely be protected from any local fires.

Be careful you don't get yourself up into the avocado grove just when a aftershock hits and a tree decides to fall and hit ya and in case you decide to venture out from the only place that will survive this big huge quake, watch out for the water from the likely failed local dam (which drains into the Hicks Canyon Wash down the hill from OH).

Everyone has an appointed time to be born and die and nothing you or I do will change that time one bit....... unless you know more than God.

I don't believe in God. I believe in planning my life. Sure life throws shit your way but if you're prepared to deal with anything then you can find a way. I deal with death everyday. I save people from dying, there are times I am unable to do it. But the keyword is "I try". So if we have that 8 or 9 magnitude I'll be prepared as best as I can to help my family survive that. I sure won't be just kneeling on the ground praying up to the sky. And if I fail then at least "I tried my damn best"
It's funny that you are so confident we wouldn't see a 8 or 9 magnitude quake in Cali during our lifetime because you know that's "unheard of" like pigs falling from the sky
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarchives/year/mag8/magnitude8_1900_date.php

Back