Move backyard wall out to common area

luckyguy

I drive by Shady Canyon road daily and saw a few Turtle Rock houses under remodeling. They are big houses and take more backyard space.. Therefore the backyard walls have been moved out a few feet to occupy some common areas. Is this legal?

WTTCHMN said:
No.  But it's pretty clever.  Ronnie, Perspective, and Paris take note!

I see it happened for several Turtle Rock houses along the Shady Canyon Rd. Should I report the issue to the city?

NonFCB said:
WTTCHMN said:

I see it happened for several Turtle Rock houses along the Shady Canyon Rd. Should I report the issue to the city?

Or you can extort the homeowners.

WTTCHMN said:

I'm good, my yard is already bigger than standard Capella + standard Strada yards combined ;)

However I did level out the slope the builder put in my yard.  The footings were a lot deeper than I thought so I got a lot more usable area out of my lot by doing so.

aquabliss said:
WTTCHMN said:

I'm good, my yard is already bigger than standard Capella + standard Strada yards combined ;)

However I did level out the slope the builder put in my yard.  The footings were a lot deeper than I thought so I got a lot more usable area out of my lot by doing so.

how did the process go? I have a similar situation where the grass area of my yard is uneven, sloped up to my back wall. Did they add soil or remove soil? We're big machines involved? How much did it cost roughly?

abosch00 said:
aquabliss said:
WTTCHMN said:

how did the process go? I have a similar situation where the grass area of my yard is uneven, sloped up to my back wall. Did they add soil or remove soil? We're big machines involved? How much did it cost roughly?

My landscaper just removed the soil and it was manual, like 3 guys with shovels and wheelbarrows.  Back breaking work for a few days for these poor guys.

I didn't inquire of the HOA before doing this, but I did take a weekend and dig a hole myself in the corner that had the biggest slope.  My slope wasn't even across the yard.  So for example my cinder block wall was staggered like _- stepped upwards, and I guess they put the slope in so that the height of the wall (from the ground) would be the same all the way across.

I think I got lucky though because they must have built the wall before they added the slope, because there was still 3 cinder blocks deep of wall (before I hit the footings) when I dug it up, that's how I knew the landscaper could even it out.  You should probably check that first as there's no way HOA would let you dig below the footings or change them.

NonFCB said:
I drive by Shady Canyon road daily and saw a few Turtle Rock houses under remodeling. They are big houses and take more backyard space.. Therefore the backyard walls have been moved out a few feet to occupy some common areas. Is this legal?
Are you sure it's "common area"? In older properties, the home's property line extends past the back wall and even down the slope, you can see this on many homes that back the 5 freeway like Nellie Gail and Mission Viejo.

It seems like they are doing a row of homes all at once along Shady Canyon drive.  I somehow doubt they are "grabbing" more land.

Depends on how much soil is removed but if you remove enough you need a permit and a retaining wall. (This I know because we had a slope in the last house and needed HOA approval, permit and retaining wall).

Farther up the slope we also had retaining walls installed as did all the neighbors along our side of the street.

Our next door neighbor cut into his slope and had steps up to his spa with a waterfall into the pool level with patio.

Back