Cox versus ATT U-verse

If you are happy with Cox, call Cox and tell them you are getting great offers from ATT and you want to switch.
Cox will give you a discount.  Then, you can compare the discounts and make the decision.

We made the switch and after a month we switched back. 

Pros:
1. Having a DVR the whole house could have access to was kinda cool. 
2. The "flipping" of channels was a lot faster if you're a channel surfer.

Cons:
1. The wireless router/modem is a lot less configurable than my Linksys router running DD-WRT.  I couldn't properly get it configured so that I could VPN back into my home network.  This would also mean that I could not get my Xbox properly configured so that my NAT was open.  YMMV.
2. Since it's IPTV, based on the bandwidth, you can only have 2 HD streams going on at once.  Since we have 5 HDTVs and 4 guys in the house, every time someone would want to watch HDTV, someone else would get "bumped" back down to SD.  They might be able to do 3 HD streams at a time now, but it also depends on the distance of your house to the nearest HUB.  This was the deal breaker for us.

And I think Cox is getting the message and starting to add these "new fangled" services as they are pressured by satellite and UVerse.

I believe their Advanced TV package allows web programming of the DVR and I've heard they are testing whole house DVR too like the competitors.

For me, Cox is still cheaper... esp with phone (and we rarely use the landline). And it's widely available... you should check because you can't get UVerse everywhere.

I had Cox for 3 years when I lived in South County. I now have AT&T in Corona, which I've had for 6 months. They're the only outfit where I live. I think Time Warner is starting to move in, but they're horrible.

Overall service is good, haven't had any problems with my internet or TV. I think CUSTOMER service is horrible though. I do think Cox is cheaper, and I miss the little things, like being able to have the radio stations on my TVs (AT&T only offers Urge, which blows). AT&T overcharges for their router (but it does have built-in WiFi which is handy) and DVR boxes. I pay around $136 for UVerse, which includes phone, cable, and internet. I was able to get a package for a year that gives me free internet; otherwise it would cost $45. I also get free Showtime for a year.

If Cox comes to Riverside County, I would drop Uverse in a heartbeat.

I think he's using tech speak to sell you on it.

I don't know what kind of home you live in, but in most cases, UVerse only has fiber to switchbox and then from there it's normal bundles of twisted pair cable to the house. But I'm not a communications tech so I can't verify what he means.

I highly doubt there is optic fiber to each home but I guess that depends on what kind of home you have.

added benefit of COX is HD channels directly from the cox cable (if you have at least one box in the house).  Limited basic cable channels but at least you don't need an extra cable box if you don't want it.

nytransplant said:
added benefit of COX is HD channels directly from the cox cable (if you have at least one box in the house).  Limited basic cable channels but at least you don't need an extra cable box if you don't want it.

You don't need a HD box to receive HD channels if you already have one HD box?

annabanana said:
nytransplant said:

You don't need a HD box to receive HD channels if you already have one HD box?

You don't need an HD box to receive (some) HD channels if you just subscribe to the HD programming package.  Don't even need 1 box in the house.

Your HDTV will have to have a built in ATSC tuner capable of tuning Clear QAM and the HD channel will have to be unencrypted.  Most modern HDTVs have this tuner.

Here are the channels that Cox provides over Clear QAM:

Here are the channels that require a CableCARD to unscramble the channels.  CableCARD devices include the tuner/DVR you can rent from COX for $12-18/month or your own Tivo with CableCARD in which you just rent the CableCARD for $2-4/month. (Can't quite remember the prices).

Back