Birds

ps9 said:
Annoying birds past week chirping all night long.  I'm thinking it got into my empty FCB neighbors house.  Arghhhhhh, can't keep windows open....

What a coincidence. I had noticed unusual bird chirping at night over the last week also. First time I have heard a bird going on at night. I took a walk in the neighborhood around 11 on Saturday night to see where it was coming from. Traced it down to a neighbor's tree a few houses down. After some Googling found out that it's probably the Northern Mockingbird. They are more active during spring/summer and are very chatty.

I usually don't mind but it varies its chirps/cries/warbles constantly, like those old annoying car alarms.  And it doesn't help at 3am

Nothing this can't fix  >:D

s-l300.jpg

I usually sleep with windows open but the incessant chirping is driving me bonkers, windows closed, you can still hear them but I can sleep thru, but with this heat wave, it's gonna be hard.  My Nest (haha) shows 83 degrees in the house, almost perfect for coffee.

ps9 said:
I usually sleep with windows open but the incessant chirping is driving me bonkers, windows closed, you can still hear them but I can sleep thru, but with this heat wave, it's gonna be hard.  My Nest (haha) shows 83 degrees in the house, almost perfect for coffee.

I must have missed something. Is there a reason you're not using the air conditioner? Close the windows, crank that puppy up, and have a good night's sleep!

bitmaster20 said:
ps9 said:
Annoying birds past week chirping all night long.  I'm thinking it got into my empty FCB neighbors house.  Arghhhhhh, can't keep windows open....

What a coincidence. I had noticed unusual bird chirping at night over the last week also. First time I have heard a bird going on at night. I took a walk in the neighborhood around 11 on Saturday night to see where it was coming from. Traced it down to a neighbor's tree a few houses down. After some Googling found out that it's probably the Northern Mockingbird. They are more active during spring/summer and are very chatty.

Yup, googled some mockingbird calls and sounds just like it.  Hopefully it's temporary as wikipedia states unmated males are very chatty and perch as high as possible to attract mates.  I guess my neighbors house is ground zero.  At least they eat garden insects/pests.  They are territorial when the chicks hatch, so I'll probably get dive bombed in the next few days when I walk outside. 

@Socal, you leave the AC on all night?  That's usually overkill for me, even last night I left the window open and turned the fan to high.  Luckily the birds were semi-quiet last night or the white noise drone of the fan muted their sounds.

iacrenter said:
Nothing this can't fix  >:D
s-l300.jpg

Please note the following:

Irvine Muni Code
Sec. 4-14-103. - Discharge of firearms prohibited; exemptions.

A. Prohibition. It shall be unlawful for any person, other than peace officers and members of the armed forces and National Guard acting in their official line of duty, to shoot, fire or discharge, or for any person to cause or permit to be shot, fired or discharged, within the City, any rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver or firearm, or BB gun, pellet gun and air rifle of any kind, except when it may be necessary to do so in order to protect life or property or to destroy or kill any predatory or dangerous animal.

B. Firing ranges exempted. The provisions of section 4-13-103A shall not be deemed nor construed to prohibit the establishment or maintenance of any pistol, rifle, or target range, nor to prohibit the discharge at any target thereon, by any person using such range, of any rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver or firearm or BB gun, pellet gun and air rifle of any kind in or on such range, provided that such range is so installed, constructed, safeguarded, equipped, maintained, and used so as to adequately prevent any bullet, shot or missile from being projected beyond the confines of such range.

C. Hunting clubs exempted. The provisions of section 4-13-103A shall not be deemed nor construed to prohibit the establishment or maintenance of any hunting club, nor to prohibit the discharge, by any member or guest of such club, of any rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver or firearm or BB gun, pellet gun and air rifle of any kind upon the premises thereof; provided, however, that said premises have first been approved for such use by the Planning Commission, and provided further that the premises shall be so operated and maintained as to adequately prevent any bullet, shot or missile from being projected beyond the confines thereof.

(Ord. No. 45, ?? 32.011?32.013, 9-26-72; Code 1976, ?? IV.L-103?IV.L-105)

========================================================

Under "normal" condition, discharging air rifles in City of Irvine (and most OC Cities) is prohibited without specific exemptions or permission granted by City & Police, such as licensed pest control.

Under "SHTF" and "WROL" conditions when there is no phone service to call the police, and the police force has already fallen apart (See: Katrina), people will be stressed and it may be dangerous for you to walk around with a weapon.  Since others do not know your intention, they may react in a hostile and violent way.

Instead of running down the street to chase after birds, it's probably better if you already established a feeding location, such as your backyard's bird feeder.  It's safer for you to take a shot at them with a pellet rifle from your window to harvest pigeo...  rock doves.  If there are squirrels in the area, they are known to raid bird feeders too.

If you don't have a yard, you could find a "safe" location to feed the critters on regular basis.  When SHTF you could pack a pellet pistol in your backpack and go to said location to harvest birds.  Don't underestimate the cheap Crosman 1377/1322 pump/pellet pistol.  With the right pellet they can be very accurate at 10 yards.

Same applies to other critters like fish, duck, goose, etc.  Instead of chasing after them, it's easier if they come to you.  If you feed the Canadian goose on regular basis, they will come to you and, in SHTF, you can just reach out and ring their necks to get dinner.

recipe-image-legacy-id--96459_10.jpg

Keep in mind that wildlife in suburban areas will be limited, and you don't want to be chasing deer in the hills with all the Alex Jones fans running around with AR-15's (they woke up to the fact that you can't eat guns and ammo).  Harvesting local game and edible vegetation can supplement your food stocks, but should not be "plan A".  Spend some money to store food and water for emergencies.  For protection, an inexpensive shotgun and couple bricks of ammo is sufficient -- buy a gun safe and keep out of reach for kids.  When people are hungry they'll ask for food, when they're starving they might kill you with a golf club for a can of mushroom gravy.

Before buying large quantities of long-term storage food, buy smaller quantities to try first.  You don't want to be eating old MRE's that resemble cat food in an emergency.  Mountain House and Be Prepared offer smaller quantities of freeze dried foods in bags or smaller cans.

Momo, do you consider earthquake safety in your food storage?  We only have 2 good locations for our rations:  downstairs or in the detached garage.  The garage offers a much better chance for survival of a large earthquake, but the food will go bad faster there, due to a lack of environmental control.  The spot downstairs in the house is cooler all year long, but if we actually need the food, the odds are it's because the big one has hit.  I don't know what the odds are of the house surviving that.  I have added shear plates and strong-ties in the crawlspace, but who knows what a 7 or 8.x earthquake would do.

momopi said:
Under "SHTF" and "WROL" conditions when there is no phone service to call the police, and the police force has already fallen apart (See: Katrina),
When SHTF or WROL happens in Irvine, the massive avocado groves in Orchard Hills will provide an endless supply of nutritious and high calorie avocadoes. Orchard Hills is the preppers dream.

daedalus said:
Momo, do you consider earthquake safety in your food storage?  We only have 2 good locations for our rations:  downstairs or in the detached garage.  The garage offers a much better chance for survival of a large earthquake, but the food will go bad faster there, due to a lack of environmental control.  The spot downstairs in the house is cooler all year long, but if we actually need the food, the odds are it's because the big one has hit.  I don't know what the odds are of the house surviving that.  I have added shear plates and strong-ties in the crawlspace, but who knows what a 7 or 8.x earthquake would do.

If you have a yard, you can use deck storage boxes outside.  Currently I store about 2 months of food and water spread between the house, garage, and deck storage box in the yard (away from house).

I wrote this 2 years ago and will update it when time is avail:http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,11803.0.html

I can confirm that the Costco gallon water jugs (sold in 6 packs), stored in deck boxes outside for 2 years, is still drinkable without any plastic smell.  Some of the suggestions I wrote earlier needs to be updated, i.e. the Benjamin Sheridan 392 is way too loud to pump and too big to carry around.  Mountain House #10 cans are pricey and instead of leaving them in the deck box to shorten shelf life, might be cheaper to use "lifeguard" ration bars that can take the heat and doesn't require cooking.

Back