Sense of Community in Your Neighborhood?

Irvine Noob

Hello all,

I have lived in Irvine for about 8 months now and would like some locals' input on their surroundings.  I'd like to know some of the pros and cons of all areas, objective, subjective, whatever.

Thanks for playing.

Lived in Irvine for a long time (northwood area)...generally, not much community sense in neighborhood...maybe a hello and greeting to my most immediate neighbors but no neighborhood get-togethers at all

I think people just do their own thing in Irvine

Great place though, you don't feel afraid when you leave your garage door open. 

SoclosetoIrvine said:
Lived in Irvine for a long time (northwood area)...generally, not much community sense in neighborhood...maybe a hello and greeting to my most immediate neighbors but no neighborhood get-togethers at all

I think people just do their own thing in Irvine

Great place though, you don't feel afraid when you leave your garage door open.

Sounds like my kind of neighborhood.

I think it really all depends, there are older places in Irvine where everyone knows everyone and all their kids play with each other... and there are the same older areas where everyone is a shut-in.

Same goes for the new hoods.

I've been fortunate to live in areas with a slight mix of both. Except for Quail Hill maybe it was just my street but I don't recall talking or saying "hi" to a single neighbor.

Met some of our closest friends in West Irvine when we were living there.  I can't say the same at PP.. but our neighbors are nice we do look after each other. 

jmoney74 said:
Met some of our closest friends in West Irvine when we were living there.  I can't say the same at PP.. but our neighbors are nice we do look after each other.

Lies, you have no friends!

Homer_Simpson said:
jmoney74 said:

Lies, you have no friends!

😬

Thank you for all your input. Is it likely that the lack of communication amongst your neighbors is due to the high renter to owner occupant ratio? Or maybe a side effect of the diversity of the city?

On our street the Chinese, whites, Indians, etc all say hi and all of the kids play together outside, etc. Does help that there are few renters.

Here in Capella most of us neighbors are very friendly with each other. We attend each other's bday parties and have conversations out on the street. We share vendors for home projects. There is definitely a sense of community and I really enjoy that. I think it's because most of us are younger in our early 30s with young kids that go to the same schools so we have a lot in common.
The only neighbors that seem "distant" are the FCBs because there is a language barrier and maybe the few older folks in the neighborhood (which is more a rarity). Much more younger families at least on our street which were the earlier phases. Can't speak for the neighbors on the other side of the community.

Paris said:
Here in Capella most of us neighbors are very friendly with each other. We attend each other's bday parties and have conversations out on the street. We share vendors for home projects. There is definitely a sense of community and I really enjoy that. I think it's because most of us are younger in our early 30s with young kids that go to the same schools so we have a lot in common.
The only neighbors that seem "distant" are the FCBs because there is a language barrier and maybe the few older folks in the neighborhood (which is more a rarity). Much more younger families at least on our street which were the earlier phases. Can't speak for the neighbors on the other side of the community.
Everything is good (except the 2nd hand weed smell)

Lol

Just rat out your neighbor. (Medicinal or not)

In OH Groves, there's basically no sense of community yet. Hoping it will develop over time. Neighbors keep to themselves, but so do we.

Used to complain about how dense it was in Woodbury, but I do miss how quickly we made friends in the neighborhood there.

acpme said:
In OH Groves, there's basically no sense of community yet. Hoping it will develop over time. Neighbors keep to themselves, but so do we.

Used to complain about how dense it was in Woodbury, but I do miss how quickly we made friends in the neighborhood there.
You must be one of the "older folks" Paris speaks of.

Good sense of community in Orchard Hills.  Kids play together in the street or at neighbor's houses, people chat when out walking, I arrange to meet neighbors at the pool and socialize with some outside of the neighborhood too.

Have you guys heard of Nextdoor.com? It is sort like Facebook for subdivisions and it is really neat. Sometimes it takes the smallest initiation or the first to say "hi" to build friendships with your neighbors. Nextdoor is great platform for neighbors to ask questions about who the best local flooring guy to use, or a handyman recommendation, but it is another tool that can build a sense of community in your neighborhood.

I live in a subdivison with about 924 homes and I met some great friends thru Nextdoor. I established my subdivision about a year ago and half ago and I have about 151 households in my subdivision who have joined and 2000 households in the network in my immediate surrounding area.  The cool part is that you can communicate and get to know neighbors outside of your village. Suppose you live in Woodbury. You can see the Nextdoor Woodbury neighbors names in your network, but can also can communicate with neightbors liviing in surrounding villages like Portola Springs, Stonegate, Northwood II, and Orchard Hills etc. I highly recommend giving Nextdoor.com a try and it is completely FREE to use.

Sample of Panda's Nextdoor Page
nextdoor.jpg

Oh, wow. You're assuming the role of marriage therapist on other sites, too. I don't know how you keep up with everything, Panda.

SoCal...

It appears to me that most of the couples  in TI are doing very well in their marriages looking at the high rating numbers on the poll, so I need to focus my attention where I am needed. I've been getting a lot of positive feedback from my neighbors in Nextdoor.

Believe it or not, my subdivision is known to have a higher divorce rate vs all the other subdivisons in my surrounding area. I know this as I do a lot of tenant selection for my clients and more than 30% of the time, I will need to provide housing for recently divorced single mothers with teenage children from these private golf course communities who needs to stay in the same school district. 

SoCal said:
Oh, wow. You're assuming the role of marriage therapist on other sites, too. I don't know how you keep up with everything, Panda.

Panda said:
Believe it or not, my subdivision is known to have a higher divorce rate vs all the other subdivisons in my surrounding area. I know this as I do a lot of tenant selection for my clients and more than 30% of the time, I will need to provide housing for recently divorced single mothers with teenage children from these private golf course communities who needs to stay in the same school district.

Are they your past marriage therapy clients?

SoCal. I am not a marriage therapist but I do believe that counseling is one of my spiritual gifts. I do have a heart for people who struggle emotionally as I believe it is our birth right to experience joy and peace as our natural state of mind. One my favorite authors is John Maxwell. He says that if all you think about is just taking care of your own family, it is a vocation, but if your vision is beyond yourself to help others, it is a calling.

Back