Do people use their California room

abosch00

We've all seen these in the models homes decked out: ceiling fans, canned lights, wall mounted flat screen tv, outdoor couches, etc.....

My question to everyone is this: if you have a house that is blessed with a California room, do you use it like a living space or just go out there on the occasion, like when you BBQ?

With lot sizes so small on new developments, I couldn't imagine my neighbor who I back into hangouting out in their california room, watching TV, and making noise.  That would drive me crazy.

abosch00 said:
With lot sizes so small on new developments, I couldn't imagine my neighbor who I back into hangouting out in their california room, watching TV, and making noise.  That would drive me crazy.

And don't forget about smoking.  If one unfortunately got a chain smoking neighbor, that California Room becomes a smoking lounge. 

abosch00 said:
We've all seen these in the models homes decked out: ceiling fans, canned lights, wall mounted flat screen tv, outdoor couches, etc.....

My question to everyone is this: if you have a house that is blessed with a California room, do you use it like a living space or just go out there on the occasion, like when you BBQ?

Blessed with a California room?

lnc said:
abosch00 said:

And don't forget about smoking.  If one unfortunately got a chain smoking neighbor, that California Room becomes a smoking lounge.

One of our street neighbors (not direct next door neighbor thank goodness) smokes weed in his garage (older white guy) and that smell travels up and down the entire street!

Paris said:
lnc said:
abosch00 said:

One of our street neighbors (not direct next door neighbor thank goodness) smokes weed in his garage (older white guy) and that smell travels up and down the entire street!

That must be one happy street!  8)

Paris said:
lnc said:
abosch00 said:

One of our street neighbors smokes weed in his garage (older white guy) and that smell travels up and down the entire street!

Drug problem in OH?

#closeyourwindow

eyephone said:
Paris said:
lnc said:
abosch00 said:

One of our street neighbors smokes weed in his garage (older white guy) and that smell travels up and down the entire street!

Drug problem in OH?

#closeyourwindow

My poor neighbor with young kids always has to keep her kids bedroom windows closed because of it. Maybe it's medical marijuana for some health problem? But he always smokes it in the garage with the garage door open (hence the wide distribution). Thanks for spinning some positive light on the situation paydawg  ;)

Back to the original topic...do people really use their California rooms?  Am I going to get my house with this room I'm all excited about only to never use the damn thing, haha.  I know I won't use the big sliders and have my house open all the time (not unless I have a big screen door to keep potential rodents / birds / flies out of my house). 

Bullsback said:
Back to the original topic...do people really use their California rooms?  Am I going to get my house with this room I'm all excited about only to never use the damn thing, haha.  I know I won't use the big sliders and have my house open all the time (not unless I have a big screen door to keep potential rodents / birds / flies out of my house).
I just saw that informercial for the screen door with magnetic strip in the middle, probably too ghetto for Irvine?  Lol
But I like the idea of it, except it probably only fits standard width doors not gigantic sliders to California room, diy or buy several and put together a bunch of those magnetic informercial screen doors together (even more ghetto)?
Don't remember ever seeing a screen door application on any model homes...

AW said:
Bullsback said:
I just saw that informercial for the screen door with magnetic strip in the middle, probably too ghetto for Irvine?  Lol
But I like the idea of it, except it probably only fits standard width doors not gigantic sliders to California room, diy or buy several and put together a bunch of those magnetic informercial screen doors together (even more ghetto)?

Are you taking about something similar to the retractable screen door that people use it on the French Doors?

A lot of people use these retractable screen on the French door so they can leave the door open during Summers but I just have see one that big for the California Room. 

Costco sells one for $99 bucks (saw it at the district this weekend). Can't attest to the quality of it, but if I weren't moving, I would have bought it for my front door (for $100 bucks it would have been worth it).  And if it sucks, its costco and I could return anyway. 

lnc said:
AW said:
Bullsback said:

Are you taking about something similar to the retractable screen door that people use it on the French Doors?

A lot of people use these retractable screen on the French door so they can leave the door open during Summers but I just have see one that big for the California Room.
No, those retractable screen doors I've never seen one that can accommodate the length of some of these California room entrances, I'm talking about cheapy magnetic thing like this:http://www.amazon.com/Jobars-79-4869-Garage-Screen-Double/dp/B000R4EPDM

AW said:
No, those retractable screen doors I've never seen one that can accommodate the length of some of these California room entrances, I'm talking about cheapy magnetic thing like this:http://www.amazon.com/Jobars-79-4869-Garage-Screen-Double/dp/B000R4EPDM

I see.  How about something like this:
http://getsmartcompanies.com/full-product-line/bug-screen/

Rolldown-Bug-Screen.jpg

lnc said:
AW said:

I see.  How about something like this:
http://getsmartcompanies.com/full-product-line/bug-screen/

Rolldown-Bug-Screen.jpg

That's a nice california room there.  It's similar to the lots in Irvine, except instead of the water, it's a 8ft high wall with another house right behind it and instead of a nice water breeze, it's a cloud of marijuana smoke

Bullsback said:
Costco sells one for $99 bucks (saw it at the district this weekend). Can't attest to the quality of it, but if I weren't moving, I would have bought it for my front door (for $100 bucks it would have been worth it).  And if it sucks, its costco and I could return anyway. 
I put one of those in a couple weeks ago.  Max opening is 36", so no good for a California room.  But the quality is good.  At least as good as anything I've ever seen at Home Depot, which costs ~2x more. 

daedalus said:
Bullsback said:
I put one of those in a couple weeks ago.  Max opening is 36", so no good for a California room.  But the quality is good.  At least as good as anything I've ever seen at Home Depot, which costs ~2x more.

Easy to install?

Fairly easy
eyephone said:
daedalus said:
Bullsback said:

Easy to install?
Fairly easy.  The hardest part is cutting 3 extruded aluminum channels (fairly thin wall).  I would have made a couple minor changes to the instructions, nothing major.  You have to be willing to put a few screws into each jamb and the threshold.  They don't seem to be big sellers, so I am predicting Costco will eventually cut the price soon.  I'm betting they go to $79.97 or $80.00 next.

Back