What the poke!?

ps99472

Why are there so many of these crappy poke places popping up all over the place?  If I want a diarrhea bowl, I rather eat chipotle.

I haven't tried many. But tried poki monster in Tustin recently and thought it was very average. I still like the tuna poke at bear flag best.

aquabliss said:
Have you tried Wow Bento in Lake Forest?  So good.

second this?probably will head to this place or in-n-out right off the plane from another place.

I think the reason so many of these places are popping up (over 50 plus now in the LA/OC/ metro area,) are because it's a low cost operation that can be easily profitable, for now.  The cost of bulk sushi grade fish isnt as high as you may expect and if there is a steady volume of customers they can turn a quick profit.  The "chipotle" style operation is easy in the sense that you can hire young workers easily and the food gets served efficiently.  Most people are happy to be getting a poke bowl at the 8-12 dollar price point and although it's doesn't compare to getting omakase at an expensive sushi bar from the sushi chef it's good enough, especially since when drenched in the various marinades/sauces the fish quality doesn't really matter (As long as it's decent).

Being asian myself and a huge fan of sushi in general, I prefer going to the japanese owned poke places (although there aren't many) and my favorite one is in dana point,

Kawamata Seafood
https://www.yelp.com/biz/kawamata-seafood-dana-point

Run by a Japanese cook who takes pride in his operation, simple, fresh and creative, the perfect poke bowl to pick up on the way to the beach!

IrvineOnTheWknds said:
  I think the reason so many of these places are popping up (over 50 plus now in the LA/OC/ metro area,) are because it's a low cost operation that can be easily profitable, for now.  The cost of bulk sushi grade fish isnt as high as you may expect and if there is a steady volume of customers they can turn a quick profit.  The "chipotle" style operation is easy in the sense that you can hire young workers easily and the food gets served efficiently.  Most people are happy to be getting a poke bowl at the 8-12 dollar price point and although it's doesn't compare to getting omakase at an expensive sushi bar from the sushi chef it's good enough, especially since when drenched in the various marinades/sauces the fish quality doesn't really matter (As long as it's decent).

Being asian myself and a huge fan of sushi in general, I prefer going to the japanese owned poke places (although there aren't many) and my favorite one is in dana point,

Kawamata Seafood

Run by a Japanese cook who takes pride in his operation, simple, fresh and creative, the perfect poke bowl to pick up on the way to the beach!

Agreed, Kawamata Seafood is the best poke joint in OC.  Poke Dot by SNA is pretty good, followed by the OG PokiNometry.  Poke Monster in Tustin is gone and replaced by Poke Tiki.  The former was not good at all, small portions.  I wonder how different Poke Tiki is or it's just the same owners, but renamed.

A S said:
IrvineOnTheWknds said:

Kawamata Seafood

Agreed, Kawamata Seafood is the best poke joint in OC.  Poke Dot by SNA is pretty good, followed by the OG PokiNometry.  Poke Monster in Tustin is gone and replaced by Poke Tiki.  The former was not good at all, small portions.  I wonder how different Poke Tiki is or it's just the same owners, but renamed.

Portions look small and they charge you $1 each for every extra.

The poke stand at Tokyo Central has been my favorite thus far.  Portions are generous and they don't charge you for the extras.

Back